TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday, after my brief stop at SFA, I fought through the perpetual Northern Virginia I-95 traffic to check out Kings Dominion's Taste of the Season event - a COVID-blamed Winterfest-lite.  And beli

Wait, there is actually going to be a safari-themed ride in Safari Village? Is that allowed? 🤣

My money, in all seriousness, is on Tiki Twirl.  CF already has a logo drawn up and everything.

Posted Images

You guys are forgetting that CF really doesn't care about whimsy. This is evident through Carowinds entrance renovation. They totally bull dozed the landmark "plantation house" and many coaster fans in NC/SC were very sad. Life goes on, if we get a new entrance, get over it! It means we are getting a new coaster!

Well I know everyone would respond with a "they did at the last two parks" but who says it needs to be that style and design? Something more open and inviting, possibly a bit whimsical would look much better than the gates they have now!

What the guy above me said. The Point's entrance is one thing, but what they did to Carowinds' entrance is just brutal. And if they did it there, they won't hesitate to do it here.

Speaking of the Point, an August announcement was unofficially confirmed yesterday during a q&a session. Another possibility that I hadn't considered. What if the Shockwave and Blue Ridge Tollway were removed and a launched wing coaster were to flyby the Eiffel Tower and the right side of the entrance? This would allow for an entrance redesign, would rid KD of the Shockwave, would balance both sides of the entrance, but I somehow don't see the antique cars on the chopping block.

I think something is in the cards for KD, and the August announcement being (unofficially) confirmed so early reaffirms this. It will have been 4/5 years since I305, so I think they could get a hyper or a wingrider. I think definitely a B&M, as they only have Dominator. I agree that Shockwave isn't dead yet, as it was just re-painted; a sign that it has a few more years to go.

If they get a hyper, I imagine the entrance through an airtime hill (rather than a Zero G roll), and if it's a wingrider it could be like CP's.

I-305 was built in 2010--2016 would be six years separated.

As for the entrance, Kings Dominion has a decent entrance as it is. It looks much nicer than Kings Island's brown wall with ticket booths. I would imagine KI is a top priority for a new entrance with their next coaster, if they choose to go that route.

Also, who says a new coaster near the front if the park means a new entrance? You could redo the entrance plaza in a similar fashion to Fury with the tunnel, but leave the actual gates intact.

As for the new coaster itself, we have to remember that numerous Cedar Fair parks are rumored for new coasters in 2016/17.

Cedar Point next year for sure, along with Canadas Wonderland, and even Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, and even Michigans Adventure. And dare I say Dorney at some point?

Yep, so far, Cedar Point has the strongest coaster chance for Cedar Fair in 2016. Michigan's Adventure is oddly second with the rumored Hyper-GTX, the GM mentioning "capital to be announced" last year, nothing happening in 2014 and 2015, and they also have a tendency to do major attractions for anniversary years as it's their 60th in 2016 (2006 for their 50th they received Grand Rapids, their Intamin raft ride, the Coasters restaurant and a bunch of other improvements.)

So far, the rest of the parks have been pure speculation with very little leads. Canada's Wonderland has already been debunked as plans have been said for 2016 to not have any major capital additions and the obvious SkyRider spot that many people think it's going to go is receiving underground sprinkling so that means nothing's going to go there for the time being. Valleyfair has been just speculation although it's sort of pointing towards 2016 being another major water park expansion and possibly 2017 their coaster year since the park has been stated as the 2nd highest in market potential behind Carowinds.

Worlds of Fun and Dorney are both actually near the bottom of the list for future coaster additions. They've pretty much saturated their coaster market as much as they can for their areas and really, I don't see any major coasters coming here in the near future besides maybe family or kiddie coaster additions. Can see maybe major refurbs like the RMC or GCI major refurb being rumored for Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun, but certainly nothing extravagant like a Banshee or Fury.

Kings Dominion I can see having the highlight attraction for 2017. 2016 is just too crammed for the top capital investments if what's being planned for the other parks for a major coaster to be coming here. I know they are not planning any dark rides for 2016 so that part of the $120mil estimated budget for next year is being used for something else, but if anything, between Cedar Point's estimated $16mil dive coaster and Michigan's Adventure potential $7-10mil for their coaster, that's around the same price as the other 4 major coasters since 2012 have used.

I think the August announcement decision already is a sign for Kings Dominion receiving a new coaster next year. Kings Dominion never announces an attraction so early unless it's BIG. Knowing this has made me even more excited! Looks like Kings Dominion will receive one of Cedar Fair's main new coaster/attraction for 2016!

I think the August announcement decision already is a sign for Kings Dominion receiving a new coaster next year. Kings Dominion never announces an attraction so early unless it's BIG. Knowing this has made me even more excited! Looks like Kings Dominion will receive one of Cedar Fair's main new coaster/attraction for 2016!

I think you misunderstood. I meant that Cedar Point said that their "big announcement" will be in August. No word from KD yet. Hurler, Woodstock Express, and Rebel Yell were all retracked within the last week. The four coasters up for removal are widely considered (in order of most to least hated): Shockwave, Hurler, Anaconda, Grizzly. Last year, however, Anaconda got refurbished for the first phase of the 40th anniversary. This year, Hurler and Grizzly received refurbished trains, and more recently Hurler was retracked. The last time Shockwave got any service was in 2011, when it received a new coat of paint. Since TOGO's been out of business for 14 years, this means that parts for the Shockwave are hard to come by. The Hurler, on the other hand, can be serviced by either of the three successors to Custom Coasters (Gravity Group, GCI, S&S), and PTC is still in business for the Grizzly, so I say that the most likely occurrence for 2016 is that Shockwave gets shut down in June and gets sold for scrap metal (or moved to Dorney, not sure which is worse). Then, either one of two scenarios plays out:

A) Large/thrilling family or flat ride to replace the Shockwave. Can't tell if the the former or the latter was/is/would be worse.

B) Antique cars removed as well, huge freakin' B&M coaster added in their places and entrance remodeled. 99% of coaster enthusiasts would prefer B, but I can tell you right now that it ain't gonna happen. Although the old Tollway is a classic (and have you seen the lines it draws? FL+ don't do it justice), it is high maintenance and with all that gasoline/natural gas (not sure if they made the switch or not), it's gotta be pretty darn expensive. While it would make sense to remove it, you'd be eliminating a Haunt maze and weakening the one-two family ride punch of Old Virginia and Planet Snoopy. On the other hand, NEW ENTRANCE. B&M. EIFFEL TOWER LAUNCHED WING COASTER FLYBY. The possibilities can even make a hardcore Intamin fan like yours truly drool. PLEASE bear in mind that this is only speculation and that I'm crazy-obsessed with Virginia parks, since I live <5 min from KD. I don't call the shots for CF's CEO (unfortunately). Let me know what you think down yonder (Northerners, below this post within this discussion thread.)

I agree that Shockwave isn't dead yet, as it was just re-painted; a sign that it has a few more years to go.

P.S. Shockwave wasn't repainted

Source: I was there on Saturday and I've been to KD countless times the past four years.

Even if Kings Dominion doesn't get a 2016 coaster, I would be just fine . . . well . . . not really . . . oh forget it . . . PLEASE BE A 2016 COASTER!

You took the words right out of my mouth. Feed. Me. Coaster. lol

After reading the forum I am think a launched B&M would be a great addition to the park, the question is what type. I wouldn't mind a launched wing coaster. Gatekeeper looks way more intense than it actually but a launch might sell me more. I am not sure what KD is doing but I like that they are feeding into the mystery with this latest video being released. Not a fan of Shockwave but I don't want to see it leave but I would not cry.

Even if Kings Dominion doesn't get a 2016 coaster, I would be just fine . . . well . . . not really . . . oh forget it . . . PLEASE BE A 2016 COASTER!

You took the words right out of my mouth. Feed. Me. Coaster. lol

After reading the forum I am think a launched B&M would be a great addition to the park, the question is what type. I wouldn't mind a launched wing coaster. Gatekeeper looks way more intense than it actually but a launch might sell me more. I am not sure what KD is doing but I like that they are feeding into the mystery with this latest video being released. Not a fan of Shockwave but I don't want to see it leave but I would not cry.

I know right! I haven't been to Kings Dominion as of yet, but if something major is possibly coming to the park next year I will most definitely be there in 2016! I love the fact that it's early in the season and people are already making predictions, rumors, and speculations! I'm loving it all! Not just with this park, but other parks as well.

So I must admit. . . I just found out I'm going to Kings Dominion for the first time... NEXT year... and even though it's a year away... I can not wait to ride I305. It's BEEN On my coaster bucket list since it first opened. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

So I must admit. . . I just found out I'm going to Kings Dominion for the first time... NEXT year... and even though it's a year away... I can not wait to ride I305. It's BEEN On my coaster bucket list since it first opened. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

The only ways for your I305 ride to be less than a 10/10 are if you are physically unable to ride or if you're going over the second and third airtime hills and some random insect flies in your mouth. Ride this smooth beast once in the front row and once in the back row.

Since TOGO's been out of business for 14 years, this means that parts for the Shockwave are hard to come by.

If KD wants to keep Shockwave, they can get the parts. One of Premier's specialties is manufacturing parts for rides who were manufactured by defunct companies. Premier does a lot of work with the old TOGO coasters.

Okay, lets do the math (I hate math):

1. Cedar Fair said a budget for $120 million

2. We know of five POSSIBLE parks at this point: CP, CW, KD, WOF, and MIA.

3. Divide $120 million by 5.

4. You have $24 million for each park.

5. THERE'S NO EXCUSE that these parks could have a 2016 roller coaster.

Heck, you could even get a B&M coaster with $24 million! Take a look at Thunderbird which is the world's first launched wing coaster. That was $22 million! Then you would have $2 million to spend on creating the theme for the ride.

Now I could be totally wrong about these numbers, so don't jump down my throat about how "inaccurate" this may be, but it's something to think about. At this point Cedar Fair is carefully overlooking each park to see what the public may want, and whatever that might be I truly hope it's a ROLLER COASTER! (I also posted this on WOF thread, so . . . yeah!)

But what if 8 parks get rides? Thats only 18 million per park. But what if the smaller parks get chance gtx coasters that are only 8 million a piece? There are so many if's out that there. Hopefully 120 Million is the budget. The would mean pretty much every park would at least get something.

I thought CF only did 70-80 Million per year?

Well I know everyone would respond with a "they did at the last two parks" but who says it needs to be that style and design? Something more open and inviting, possibly a bit whimsical would look much better than the gates they have now!

What the guy above me said. The Point's entrance is one thing, but what they did to Carowinds' entrance is just brutal. And if they did it there, they won't hesitate to do it here.

As a former line worker at the front gate and friends with a few that have worked there recently, The Front Gate Infrastructure needs to be retooled and opened up a little bit. The park has done several refurbishments to the Old Virginia (OVA) the last few years with the addition of Dino's Alive attraction refurb. The only major part of the park that hasn't recieved any love the last 5 years is the Volcano side of the Congo. Shockwave, Hurler, Rebel Yell, Anaconda, Grizzly have all received TLC the last few years and i think it may be time to be on the lookout for some new work in the Congo. When was the last time Backlot SC received any work? Its about 9 years old and the ride gets less and less attention every year.

I think that we'll see a 'The Guardian'-style dark ride before a coaster. CP seems to be riding heavy on that.

^They reconfigured Volcano's station and queue substantially last year, but I agree that Stunt Coaster could use some attention.

But what if 8 parks get rides? Thats only 18 million per park. But what if the smaller parks get chance gtx coasters that are only 8 million a piece? There are so many if's out that there. Hopefully 120 Million is the budget. The would mean pretty much every park would at least get something.

I thought CF only did 70-80 Million per year?

Cedar Fair had a great quarter. I guess they want to splurge a little bit.

Okay, lets do the math (I hate math):

1. Cedar Fair said a budget for $120 million

2. We know of five POSSIBLE parks at this point: CP, CW, KD, WOF, and MIA.

3. Divide $120 million by 5.

4. You have $24 million for each park.

5. THERE'S NO EXCUSE that these parks could have a 2016 roller coaster.

Heck, you could even get a B&M coaster with $24 million! Take a look at Thunderbird which is the world's first launched wing coaster. That was $22 million! Then you would have $2 million to spend on creating the theme for the ride.

Now I could be totally wrong about these numbers, so don't jump down my throat about how "inaccurate" this may be, but it's something to think about. At this point Cedar Fair is carefully overlooking each park to see what the public may want, and whatever that might be I truly hope it's a ROLLER COASTER! (I also posted this on WOF thread, so . . . yeah!)

Since when did it become official for those five parks to possibly get a coaster? It could be any park.. That's just speculation.

Also there are other rides than coasters that CF parks install....and waterpark additions too. I'm sure all that's included along with other park enhancements...unless of course it said that was just for rides. With all the parks in the chain 120 million can go pretty fast with all the additions. I don't see five new (big) coasters in the chain in one year. Maybe a a couple large ones, a couple smaller ones and maybe a relocation.