TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Yeah, all three of these are tough. They all have great high-ticket coasters with great supporting casts. You really can't go wrong with any of these, but I'd lean toward 1 or 2, personally. You simply can't go wrong with Cedar Point; KD and BGW both have excellent coaster line ups and are both well-kept parks. I-305 certainly doesn't disappoint!

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait, there is actually going to be a safari-themed ride in Safari Village? Is that allowed? 🤣

My money, in all seriousness, is on Tiki Twirl.  CF already has a logo drawn up and everything.

He has a lot more history with Kings Dominion than just 2 years. You also forgot that Carnival and Winterfest also came in under him (I know they aren't rides, but I feel they are big improvements for

Posted Images

You can't go wrong with any of those but I'd lean towards one of the first 2 options. I think I would lean towards Cedar Point since it feels a lot more like a vacation when you stay at Breakers and don't have to drive between parks. The actual resort feel the park has is unmatched as far as regional parks go. I'm also a little biased as far as coasters go as I think Millennium Force and Maverick are both better rides than anything at Kings Dominion including I305 but that's my personal opinion that many people will disagree with. I love I305 but I feel like Maverick is a smaller, better and more intense version of it.

Both options are great though and if you decide to do the Virginia trip I think you'd love Busch Gardens Williamsburg as it's a very nice park with a great clientele. They have a few interesting animal exhibits too that aren't overly time consuming so they're worth checking out between rides. It's a great park with a relaxed atmosphere as you don't feel rushed like you do at most parks as they don't have as many coasters as the other parks you mentioned (though the coasters there are all great). Kings Dominion is a great park too but it's a much more standard corporate park experience.

We've been to Cedar Point before and had a great time. However, that was years ago when Maverick opened.

Cedar Point (2 days staying at Breakers)

I think I fixed that for you. Unless you went when you were four. Then definitely CP!!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I would have been 9 1/2 at the time Magnum opened, so anything is possible. Plus, I don't know your guys' background.

As for my choice, I would go with either option 2 or 3. Like the above reader mentioned, you could make the trip to Cedar Point into a mini-cation for option 2. As for option 3, Hershey is a top tier individual ran park. It has a great variety of coasters and a great atmosphere. Plus SFGAdv has a great line up as well.

Option 1 has some good coasters, but the rides fall off after that. Don't get me wrong, KD and BGW are great and close for me, but after I305, Volcano, and Dominator, KD falls off a little. In BGW's case, there isn't too many flats after the pretty good coaster lineup.

I don't know about you guys, but I would have been 9 1/2 at the time Magnum opened, so anything is possible. Plus, I don't know your guys' background.

As for my choice, I would go with either option 2 or 3. Like the above reader mentioned, you could make the trip to Cedar Point into a mini-cation for option 2. As for option 3, Hershey is a top tier individual ran park. It has a great variety of coasters and a great atmosphere. Plus SFGAdv has a great line up as well.

Option 1 has some good coasters, but the rides fall off after that. Don't get me wrong, KD and BGW are great and close for me, but after I305, Volcano, and Dominator, KD falls off a little. In BGW's case, there isn't too many flats after the pretty good coaster lineup.

He said he's gonna be 30 next year. I was only 9 months old when Magnum opened.

He said he's gonna be 30 next year. I was only 9 months old when Magnum opened.

Didn't see that...makes sense then.

Wow that is a tough choice! I would choose the Hershey/GAd trip but that's just based on personal coaster preference - Skyrush over I305, Nitro over AC, and I probably enjoy ElToro and Lightning Racer over the rest of the KD/BGW collection except perhaps Volcano. The Point is great of course but I'd prefer the two-park experience. But they are three sweet trips so you really can't go wrong. I'm also (alone, it seems) hugely excited for Laff Trakk so that is biasing my choice as well.

Did you mean Maverick? We were just wee tots @ Magnum's opening.

Yes... I meant Maverick. You'll have to excuse me, I'm hopped up on cold meds!

Damn, this is going to be a tough one. I've wanted to go to KD for years and I was hoping you guys would seal the deal for me, haha. I really want to see what all of the hype for I-305 is about. We stayed at breakers when we last went to CP and loved it, so that's always a good choice. However, last year was the year of the repeats for me, so I'm looking to up my count. As much as I would love CP, I'm going to have a hard time going another year without gaining more experience. I also went to SFGadv when Medusa was opened as the world's first floorless. A lot has changed since then. Hershey also looks amazing.

As far as KD not offering any more than 3-4 re rideable coasters, that doesn't bother me. I usually go to a new park, hit everything, and bounce between 2-3 different rides at night, once I have a few beers in me. I'd like to get in at least ten rides on I-305 if I end up going there. The standard corporate feel doesn't bother me. KI is very similar to KD from what I hear and KI is probably my favorite park. Fast lane /flash pass will be mandatory for all parks.

I'm changing my opinion... I was basing it off of you not going to Cedar Point since Magnum opened, not Maverick which would have meant Raptor, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Wicked Twister, Maverick, Maxair, Skyhawk and a ton of other amazing rides would be new to you.

I think you should absolutely go to Kings Dominion in that case. Kings Dominion really has a lot of great coasters... Dominator, Flight of Fear, Volcano and I305 are the real standouts but Backlot Stunt Coaster, Rebel Yell, Avalanche, Ricochet and Grizzly are all very good too. Like I said yesterday I like Anaconda but the general consensus is that Hurler, Anaconda and Shockwave are complete crap. That still leaves you with a lot of great coasters though plus a great log flume, great drop tower, a great top spin (and I usually hate top spins) great flyers and 2 very cool observation rides / towers. It also means you get to go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg which is always a good thing. You might even end up liking it better than KD.

So... next June I'm going to be 30 and my wife has awarded me a special trip. Here's what I have come up with so far:

Option 1: I305 has been on my wish list since it opened and BGW seems like a solid park.

King's Dominion (1 day)

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (1 day)

Option 2: We've been to Cedar Point before and had a great time. However, that was years ago when Maverick (edited) opened.

Option 3:

Hershey Park (1 day)

SF Great Adventure or another NE park (1 day)

I really want to go to KD, but I wanted to see what you guys would say about my other options. Everything is about 12 hours away from me except for Cedar Point, which is 8 hours.

Having been to all these parks, I'll say this: Busch Gardens Williamsburg is my favorite overall, Kings Dominion is my least favorite overall. El Toro is the single best coaster among all of them, but Busch Gardens Williamsburg has the best average coaster quality and Cedar Point has the most top tier coasters. Hersheypark is the best for non-coaster attractions, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg is the best for theming and atmosphere.

Given this and the fact that you've been to Cedar Point since Maverick opened, I'd probably opt for option one. Kings Dominion does have three great coasters (Dominator, Intimidator 305, and Volcano), but the rest of their coasters are similar to what you'd get at Kings Island. The park also has a really good drop tower and decent flats, they're just fairly standard models. Busch Gardens Williamsburg has three outstanding B&M coasters and the best dark ride outside of Disney or Universal. HOWEVER, if you can manage to add Knoebels into option three and do it, Hersheypark, and Six Flags Great Adventure in one trip, do that one. Knoebels is an excellent park, Hersheypark is better than most of the Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks, and Six Flags Great Adventure does have El Toro (and several other above average coasters). Unless you really want to ride GateKeeper or Rougarou, I'd save Cedar Point for some other time.

Can anyone tell me which places at Kings Dominion use the meal plan and is it worth the money for that pass. We've had passes for years but never had the meal plan and considering it this upcoming season. The website has little to no information on what places take it. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me which places at Kings Dominion use the meal plan and is it worth the money for that pass. We've had passes for years but never had the meal plan and considering it this upcoming season. The website has little to no information on what places take it. Thanks.

I wouldn't get it. We've been pass holders and when we eat at the park, we go to the parking lot where we can eat better food for free! As for places, I think the major restaurants offer it (i.e. Hungry hippo)

Hershey also looks amazing.

As far as KD not offering any more than 3-4 re rideable coasters, that doesn't bother me. I usually go to a new park, hit everything, and bounce between 2-3 different rides at night, once I have a few beers in me. I'd like to get in at least ten rides on I-305 if I end up going there. The standard corporate feel doesn't bother me. KI is very similar to KD from what I hear and KI is probably my favorite park. Fast lane /flash pass will be mandatory for all parks.

Certain parts of the park feel very un-corporate. As for the trip, any way you could get to Hershey, KD? That'd be my recommendation. If not, go to KD and BGW. I prefer KD, but I enjoy thrills more than theming.

So... next June I'm going to be 30 and my wife has awarded me a special trip. Here's what I have come up with so far:

Option 1: I305 has been on my wish list since it opened and BGW seems like a solid park.

King's Dominion (1 day)

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (1 day)

Option 2: We've been to Cedar Point before and had a great time. However, that was years ago when Maverick (edited) opened.

Option 3:

Hershey Park (1 day)

SF Great Adventure or another NE park (1 day)

I really want to go to KD, but I wanted to see what you guys would say about my other options. Everything is about 12 hours away from me except for Cedar Point, which is 8 hours.

Hmm...this is a tough one. Out of all the parks you listed, SFGAv and CP are the only parks I haven't visited yet, but I'll give my two cents

Option 1: You really can't go wrong with either parks. If you've never been, you should definitely check out both parks. Kings Dominion has a solid coaster line up and flats. i305, Volcano, and Dominator are rides that are worth checking out. And now for BGW, I can't express how much I love this park. From the theming, rides, food and great staff, it's one theme park I think everyone should visit. You won't regret visiting this park

Option 2: As I said I've yet to visit CP, however one advantage you mentioned is that it's closer to you than the rest of the parks mentioned.

Option 3: I've been to HP but not SFGAv. HP is another great park that's worth checking out. In fact it might have my favorite coaster line up at any park I've been to so far. Skyrush, Great Bear, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, and Lightning Racer are solid rides and the rest are great rides as well. On top of that you will also have another park with a great line up as well. As I said I haven't been to SFGAv but they look like they have another great line up of rides as well. El Toro and Nitro are on my bucket list.

Overall, you have three great, but very tough choices. If it were me, I would go with option 1, both KD and BGW are about an hour away from each other and are amazing parks that are definitely worth the visit. Option 3 is a pretty good choice as well but regardless of whatever one you choose, you should still have a great trip.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think you're right about option 1. I think going to KD on day 1 will give me a change to finally ride I305 and geek out. Then day 2 at BGW will give my wife a chance to relax, drink a few beers, and enjoy the park as a whole, rather than worrying about how many rides I can get in on I305.

Can anyone tell me which places at Kings Dominion use the meal plan and is it worth the money for that pass. We've had passes for years but never had the meal plan and considering it this upcoming season. The website has little to no information on what places take it.

If you click on the link below, you can view all the information about dining passes, including which restaurants you can use it for. https://www.kingsdominion.com/things-to-do/dining-plans

I personally wouldn't recommend the dining pass, because there are a lot of restaurants there that are not included with the dining pass and once you use it one time during a visit, you can't use it again until four hours later. You also won't know how much you will use it or if you will get your money's worth. Another disadvantage is that drinks aren't included with the year - long dining pass.

I've been to Kings Island several times now and I love it. I am going to Washington DC/Boston next summer and plan on stopping at Kings Dominion along the way. Heard a lot of good things about it and look forward to visiting.

I've been to Kings Island several times now and I love it. I am going to Washington DC/Boston next summer and plan on stopping at Kings Dominion along the way. Heard a lot of good things about it and look forward to visiting.

Very good park with nice atmosphere with a good selection of coasters. Ride i305 as much as you can and maybe save Volcano for last before the park closes, because lines for Volcano can be bad. Literally, I've seen Volcano have a 30 minute wait and every single other roller coaster, INCLUDING i305 and Flight of Fear, have a walk-on. Flight of Fear is an extremely underrated indoor coaster and Avalanche plays the role as a "family mine train coaster". Backlot is a lot of fun, Anaconda and Shockwave....well...they're all a matter of your personal opinion. I think they're very rough, but have their fun moments. Rebel Yell is extremely rough, but you get some KILLER air. For Hurler, try and get a seat more towards the front, it'll definitely be less brutal. Grizzly is a lot of fun too and sort of reminds me of the Coney Island Cyclone. Dominator is a really fun B&M coaster with a great vertical loop.

Edited by fraroc

I always suggest getting to the park at opening and heading right to Volcano. I would never suggest waiting until the end of the day to ride an Intamin ride without already having the credit as they can break down quite a bit and you may miss out (though Volcano seems to be more reliable than many of the others).

And ride the very back row of Dominator... the loop and the first drop are amazing. It really doesn't even feel like a B&M.

Flight of Fear is an extremely underrated indoor coaster

This... this ride is criminally underrated by enthusiasts. It's also much smoother and better than the KI version.

Flight of Fear is an extremely underrated indoor coaster

This... this ride is criminally underrated by enthusiasts. It's also much smoother and better than the KI version.

As much as I enjoy this ride, I had the opposite experience. For some reason, KD's made me really dizzy and slightly nauseous, which I've never had happen on KI's. I've only been able to ride it once, and I really want to reride this one.

As much as I enjoy this ride, I had the opposite experience. For some reason, KD's made me really dizzy and slightly nauseous, which I've never had happen on KI's. I've only been able to ride it once, and I really want to reride this one.

I have to agree, there is something about KD's model that makes me feel a bit off compared to all the other's I've ridden.

Didn't cross Toro off my bucket list, but scored a few new rides.

Intimidator 305 makes it to my top 2 dethroning Storm Runner for my second favorite coaster. Great ride, but the transitions are kinda like that kink in Alpengeist's midcourse done back to back. Skyrush still beats it for the smoother transitions.

Flight of Fear knocks Volcano down a few notches. Still runs fantastic, although not a very hands up ride

Dominator knocks Great Bear out of my top 10. My favorite floorless coaster ever.

Volcano is still solid but not as intense as I remember. The capacity still sucks though.

Rebel Yell and Scooby Doo are still the smoothest wooden coasters at KD. Funny since they're the oldest coasters in the park. Lots of fun and airtime to be had.

Stunt Coaster is INCREDIBLY underrated. Seriously that ride packs a serious punch.

Grizzly is crazy rough, but in a good way.

Hurler on the other hand needs to die in a fire. Funny that the newest woodie in the park is the worst one. Hasn't gotten better since last time I rode it.

New top 10.

Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Manta, Montu, Flight of Fear, Apollo's Chariot, Lightning Racer, Dominator

Really enjoyed Haunt. Mazes and scare zones were on par with BGW's. Drop Zone and Windseeker were down due to high winds.

Didn't cross Toro off my bucket list, but scored a few new rides.

Intimidator 305 makes it to my top 2 dethroning Storm Runner for my second favorite coaster. Great ride, but the transitions are kinda like that kink in Alpengeist's midcourse done back to back. Skyrush still beats it for the smoother transitions.

Flight of Fear knocks Volcano down a few notches. Still runs fantastic, although not a very hands up ride

Dominator knocks Great Bear out of my top 10. My favorite floorless coaster ever.

Volcano is still solid but not as intense as I remember. The capacity still sucks though.

Rebel Yell and Scooby Doo are still the smoothest wooden coasters at KD. Funny since they're the oldest coasters in the park. Lots of fun and airtime to be had.

Stunt Coaster is INCREDIBLY underrated. Seriously that ride packs a serious punch.

Grizzly is crazy rough, but in a good way.

Hurler on the other hand needs to die in a fire. Funny that the newest woodie in the park is the worst one. Hasn't gotten better since last time I rode it.

New top 10.

Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Manta, Montu, Flight of Fear, Apollo's Chariot, Lightning Racer, Dominator

Really enjoyed Haunt. Mazes and scare zones were on par with BGW's. Drop Zone and Windseeker were down due to high winds.

What about Anaconda and Shockwave?

Skipped Anaconda for an extra ride on FOF and nobody in my group wanted to ride Shockwave because we all planned to have children someday. Skipped Ricochet too since that was broken down for half the day and by the time we headed back there, it was already maze time.

I already rode Anaconda back in the day anyway (not really worth a second ride) and missing Shockwave wasn't a huge loss for anybody.

^When was the last time you rode Grizzly? It didn't seem nearly as rough over the summer as it has in the past. I almost want to say it almost seemed tame.

Also, I'm in agreement about KD's Flight of Fear being better than KI's (I rode them about a month apart this past summer). Almost night and day in terms of how rough KI's was.

Rode it on Saturday. It was absolutely out of control. Would've ridden again if they hadn't closed the gates on me when I entered the station (my friends snagged empty seats from the exit for multiple rides - had a few friends waiting at the exit anyway and I didn't wanna break up the group). Probably the only wooden coaster I've ridden where the roughness actually adds to the ride instead of takes away from it.

I took a trip to Kings Dominion for the first time this Saturday and I was pleasantly surprised. I got there a few minutes after opening and the park was pretty empty. I guess the cold kept people away. I was able to ride every coaster in under two hours and I think this park is actually underrated. I305 is one of the best and I have to agree with a few other posters Dominator is probably the best floorless B&M. Volcano was fun and the launch was a little more intense than I imagined. I enjoyed FOF a lot more than Jokers Jinx (although they are the same coaster) and I guess the dark aspect and theming makes it a little more enjoyable. I thought Grizzly was a solid woody and it wasn't as rough as some have said. Rebel Yell was fun and the first drop was better than I imagined and it gave pretty good air. Backlot was a fun little coaster as well. I wasn't a fan of Shockwave, Anaconda or Hurler and Avalanche was just ok. I actually can't wait to get back there when the weather is better but overall a great visit at a great park.