TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

How has I:305 been doing this season in terms of reliability? Have they been running both trains consistently?

It all depends n the day. Usually, they run 2, when I'm there. If it is a Monday, Tuesday, etc. with a rain projection, they will probably not run 2. This is just from my experience. I don't know if this is completely correct. The wait on July 4th at 9 pm was around 40 min... If that says anything.

Indeed, did not mean to get you guys derailed .... so to speak.

Haha... I see what you did there.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently the park sent out an email saying that Kings Dominion will open on March 22nd! Oh, did I say March? I meant May. Alpengeist, InvadR and Verbolten are open tomorrow. This comp

Too bad Volcano isn't still around. It was ahead of its time not only technologically, but it already had limited capacity down to a science.

Yesterday, after my brief stop at SFA, I fought through the perpetual Northern Virginia I-95 traffic to check out Kings Dominion's Taste of the Season event - a COVID-blamed Winterfest-lite.  And beli

Posted Images

Thanks for the replies. I:305 is far superior to MF in my opinion. MF is a great coaster just not as good as I:305.

Definitely the highlight of my trip to VA.

Ok, yes. Can I have the floor please?

So I was checking up on a screamscape update and if you scroll to the part where it says "future expansions" it says that over the next three years carowinds is going to pour over $50 million into the park. (Link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm ) and so if I'm correct, a while ago they were given the choice to either pour that $50 million into carowinds or kings dominion. So I just realized.....when the time and money runs out at carowinds in 2016.......what's going to happen to kd after that? is it going to suddenly turn into super crazy fun land?!?!!?!

Keep in mind that Cedar Fair is trying to "right size" parks they feel are too small for the markets they serve. The park chain is accelerating development at Carowinds, Valley Fair, and California's Great America. At least for Carowinds, that timeframe is 3 years. What might take 5-6 years at a "normal development pace", is being ramped up to just 3 years. It's a business decision that Cedar Fair hopes will bring in greater income for the chain.

Who knows if Cedar Fair was bluffing the Charlotte metro government leaders into giving them some business incentives in order to carry out the expansion at Carowinds. I believe I saw a Charlotte news article interview a Hanover County, VA official (where KD is located), about Cedar Fair's presentation to the Charlotte metro officials. He stated he did not know what Cedar Fair had presented to the Charlotte government and that Cedar Fair officials had not approached the Hanover county officials concerning the potential Carowinds expansion plans.

If Cedar Fair feels Carowinds needs the accelerated expansion, then good for them. I don't think Cedar Fair is ignoring Kings Dominion. Heck, for an "off year" for attractions, KD received way more general capital improvements than any previous season that I can remember. Several things are still a future work in progress (volcano renovations, carousel restoration, paving blocks in the pathways, landscaping, etc).

I don't see a coaster in 2015 for Kings Dominion. My top guess is that the Water Park will get a makeover and expansion for 2015. Cedar Fair has been chugging along with water park renovations and expansions in the chain over the last 3-4 seasons. Worlds of Fun last year, Dorney Park 2 years in a row, Carowinds this year (and 2 years ago), Kings Island in 2012.

If not the water park; then, I see the 40th anniversary celebration continuing with the addition of 2-3 flat rides and maybe the return of some sort of in-park transportation system (steam train or sky ride cable cars). The dark horse could be a Guardian style ride.

I don't expect a coaster for Kings Dominion until the 2016-2017 seasons.

They've invested quite a bit of money in the 40th anniversary celebration sprucing up the park in general--and I think it's worked for them (most guests are saying that the park hasn't looked this good in years).

Everyone on this site, of course, would like to see a new big coaster, but other improvements are important, too.

2 tru

Ok, yes. Can I have the floor please?

So I was checking up on a screamscape update and if you scroll to the part where it says "future expansions" it says that over the next three years carowinds is going to pour over $50 million into the park. (Link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm ) and so if I'm correct, a while ago they were given the choice to either pour that $50 million into carowinds or kings dominion. So I just realized.....when the time and money runs out at carowinds in 2016.......what's going to happen to kd after that? is it going to suddenly turn into super crazy fun land?!?!!?!

Keep in mind that Cedar Fair is trying to "right size" parks they feel are too small for the markets they serve. The park chain is accelerating development at Carowinds, Valley Fair, and California's Great America. At least for Carowinds, that timeframe is 3 years. What might take 5-6 years at a "normal development pace", is being ramped up to just 3 years. It's a business decision that Cedar Fair hopes will bring in greater income for the chain.

Who knows if Cedar Fair was bluffing the Charlotte metro government leaders into giving them some business incentives in order to carry out the expansion at Carowinds. I believe I saw a Charlotte news article interview a Hanover County, VA official (where KD is located), about Cedar Fair's presentation to the Charlotte metro officials. He stated he did not know what Cedar Fair had presented to the Charlotte government and that Cedar Fair officials had not approached the Hanover county officials concerning the potential Carowinds expansion plans.

If Cedar Fair feels Carowinds needs the accelerated expansion, then good for them. I don't think Cedar Fair is ignoring Kings Dominion. Heck, for an "off year" for attractions, KD received way more general capital improvements than any previous season that I can remember. Several things are still a future work in progress (volcano renovations, carousel restoration, paving blocks in the pathways, landscaping, etc).

I don't see a coaster in 2015 for Kings Dominion. My top guess is that the Water Park will get a makeover and expansion for 2015. Cedar Fair has been chugging along with water park renovations and expansions in the chain over the last 3-4 seasons. Worlds of Fun last year, Dorney Park 2 years in a row, Carowinds this year (and 2 years ago), Kings Island in 2012.

If not the water park; then, I see the 40th anniversary celebration continuing with the addition of 2-3 flat rides and maybe the return of some sort of in-park transportation system (steam train or sky ride cable cars). The dark horse could be a Guardian style ride.

I don't expect a coaster for Kings Dominion until the 2016-2017 seasons.

I never go to any water parks (lines, ROLLER COASTERS) but I will say that the kd water park needs a HUGE revamp cause it's a sad lil thing right now. The only slide I like is the zoom flume. I would also like to see more flat rides and/or a transport, but would that be a lot more maintenance then they really need?

I believe Kings Dominion will upgrade and expand Water Works into Soak City for next year during the 2015 season and then Kings Dominion will receive a MAJOR new coaster for the 2016 season. Here are the reasons: 1. Water Works really needs an upgrade because most of the water slides are old and outdated. 2. Kings Dominion seems to receive what Kings Island receives vice- versa. Kings Island received a Boomerang Bay expansion to Soak City in 2012, had an off year in 2013 with general improvements for then added Banshee a major coaster for 2014. If Kings Dominion did vice versa: Kings Dominion having the 40th anniversary celebration for 2014 (general improvements), receiving a Water Works expansion to Soak City for 2015, then receiving a MAJOR new coaster for 2016. As much as I would love for Kings Dominion to receive a major coaster next year for 2015, (and I'm sure just about everyone on this discussion page would) this seems to be more logical with Carowinds receiving the giga coaster next year.

From Screamscape:

Screamscape sources tell us that land-surveying work has been spotted taking place at Kings Dominion out in the waterpark, between Tidal Wave Bay and Pipeline Peak and on the Shoot the Curl site. Shoot the Curl is expected to be removed at the end of the season. If true, it looks like source’s nod about a Water Work expansion for 2015 may hold true.
I'm so confused what's going on

Kings Dominion is probably getting a new name for the waterpark and maybe some new slides to go along with it. This will then lead to pages upon pages of complaining about how long it's been since they got their last coaster with a few complaints sprinkled in about how they didn't get any new rides in the dry park this year either and if BGW builds a premier launched coaster then Kings Dominion will be in big trouble.

I think that just about covers it

This needs done. WaterWorks is the only area of the park that needs renovations to be up to par with the rest of the park. The water park gets just as crowded during summer days as the dry park often, and therefore should be expanded since the last time it was done was in 2007. It's been 8 years next season since anything was even touched in WaterWorks. New slides, paint, names, theming, ect. will be a great way to freshen up this area and advertise it as a whole new section for 2015. I'd actually expect some really good slides going in.

Also, this won't be the only thing done to the park. Next year is the second part of the 40th Celebration, so we'll see more of what was done this season which has been fantastic. With this done plus Soak City I feel like KD will be in the best shape it's ever been going ahead into adding the next thrill machine in 2016/2017.

I will take continued 40th Celebration improvements and a complete overhaul of a whole area of the park before a low-capacity coaster with 3 hour waits next season, but maybe that's just me. The exact right thing is being done to KD next season and I can't wait to see the park being so well-rounded, especially for a Cedar Fair park!

I like most of the water slides, I just don't love them. They have some good slides, but there are newer, better options on the market. They already have tornado, which is cool, but some of the enclosed ones need some serious tlc to be brought up to par. I would like them to put in a version of Vanish Point (like the one at Water Country USA), or something along those lines. Although I would like a new coaster, I think this is the best option for the park and would enjoy it more if this happened.

When we visited on Memorial Day, I couldn't help thinking that KD needed to upgrade their water park. There is quite a bit of room back there to nicely expand...I personally would love to see a good water coaster and higher capacity family and thrill slides.

And a nice swim-up bar wouldn't hurt either!

If they were to do that, they would most likely put it in the very back of the park, or take out shoot the curl and freestylin'. I find shoot the curl to be gross and in need of cleaning, but somewhat fun, and freestylin' to be a bit boring. Some new slides and perhaps a new water coaster would be a welcome addition for me.

^ They'll definitely repaint almost the entire area for sure. Fortunately, KD already has 2 wave pools so the budget won't be wasted on adding a new one like at KI therefore allowing more slides I hope. I'd love a mat-racer as well.

Personally, I love anything that uses a raft/mat, I just don't enjoy body slides at all - although I do ride.

Maybe they can make the waves more frequent at the wave pool... But that's wishful thinking. Ideally, I would like a cleanup, perhaps a vanish point, etc. slide, a mat slide, and renovations to the bathrooms and restaurants.

^ I'd agree with that list of wishes.

I wonder if we could possibly see an entrance to the water park added between Ricochet and Hurler? That would bring foot traffic back there (which is needed), make the water park entrance not so congested, and not make the water park be a giant dead end. Probably not going to happen, but I like the idea.