TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I always ride Rebel Yell in the front. The back is just too rough, and not worth it for the airtime. The front is smoother and still provides plenty of airtime.

And as for shockwave, honestly if you know how to ride it properly, then its not that bad.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently the park sent out an email saying that Kings Dominion will open on March 22nd! Oh, did I say March? I meant May. Alpengeist, InvadR and Verbolten are open tomorrow. This comp

Too bad Volcano isn't still around. It was ahead of its time not only technologically, but it already had limited capacity down to a science.

Yesterday, after my brief stop at SFA, I fought through the perpetual Northern Virginia I-95 traffic to check out Kings Dominion's Taste of the Season event - a COVID-blamed Winterfest-lite.  And beli

Posted Images

Nothing about Shockwave is worth the ride.

It's the only roller coaster I've ever been on to leave me bruises and I don't plan on riding it any time soon. I'd pay to see this ride get torn down!

Shockwave is worth it for the first drop in the back.

I have been preaching this same thing since day 1 back in the 80's when the damn thing was built. I love this ride just for the back car!!!!

I will say, I've only ridden shockwave in the back row once, and it wasn't as bad as I thought It'd be. I enjoyed the drop and the loop on it. The helix was fine, but I didn't like the bunny hops on it. But then again, even in the front car I'm not a fan of the bunny hops!

Here's the 2015 rumor update from Screamscape.

A Screamscape source contacted us about our concept of adding a Guardian style ride to the Volcano mountain structure. As I feared, they confirmed that there simply is not enough room within the existing structure to perform such a task, as the hidden supports for Volcano: The Blast Coaster cut every-which way through the interior of the mountain structure itself. However, it would be possible to add a new hidden structure to house just such an attraction behind the mountain and simply build up the queue entrance to appear as if the ride lies within the Volcano, instead of behind it.

That said… while I think it is still a solid idea for the future, our source indicated that we would likely see the budget money go to pay for a significant upgrade to the waterpark instead in 2015.

Well 2014 was also rumored for WaterWorks, but then they went the 40th Celebration route and have said that it is a 2 year celebration so I could see money put towards both if they do invest in the water park. I must admit as much as I want a new coaster of some type, WaterWorks is what needs work the most in the park now... once they do that, the whole park will look spectacular. I'd love a retheme - maybe a throwback to the original days, Hurricane Reef (probably have copyright problems) or even Wildwater Kingdom/Soak City (Wildwater Kingdom would go great with the name Kings Dominion).

However, whatever it is I still feel like 2015 will be even better than 2014 has been (which has been awesome) and KD will go out with a bang for the second year of their anniversary.

Also, remember Kings Island got the Soak City revamp/retheme for their 40th Anniversary...

Hey, I just want a new flat ride or two next year. It's a two year 40th anniversary celebration so they could add new rides similar to old ones taken out. I could see Carowinds sending their Scream Weaver (an enterprise) to KD, though I hope they don't because they too have a lack of flat rides.

I've never been to King's Dominion when Waterworks is open, and was wondering what's the best way to do it. Is it more like a few extra attractions to do in addition to the rest of the park, or is it more like something that you would do on its own? In other words, you'd come to the park for King's Dominion or Waterworks, but not both. I was just trying to come up with the best way to do it or to skip it for a day when the park is open longer (it closes at 6 tomorrow). Thank for any help!

Edited by Vigil

Hey...maybe the water park will see the addition of slides like csrowinds is geting this season. They have a history of getting similar attractions.

^^

If you're not a first timer at the park WaterWorks is a nice mid-day break during the summer when it's hot as long as it's not Saturday. Often on Saturdays WaterWorks is the most crowded section of the park. It's nothing too special, but if you like water parks, it has a few good slides and gives you quite a different perspective/views of the park.

^

The slides Carowinds got this season seem like a good substitute to KD's Tornado slide. I personally think something like a Mat-Racer slide would be better and be a hit with the public.

^^

If you're not a first timer at the park WaterWorks is a nice mid-day break during the summer when it's hot as long as it's not Saturday. Often on Saturdays WaterWorks is the most crowded section of the park. It's nothing too special, but if you like water parks, it has a few good slides and gives you quite a different perspective/views of the park.

^

The slides Carowinds got this season seem like a good substitute to KD's Tornado slide. I personally think something like a Mat-Racer slide would be better and be a hit with the public.

SFAm just added mat slides last year but yeah. They also could use some Bowl slides and major attractions. Waterworks and Boomerang Bay, CA seem to me to be the weaker waterparks in the CF Chain cause they haven't gotten attention since 2007. I also see Waterworks becoming a Soak City as well next year.

I'd love to see the same makeover done to Waterworks that was done to Soak City at KI. Throw in some bonzai pipelines, a wave or bowl slide, and a mat slide and you've got a pretty solid water park!

Now, I'm not expecting them to add all that. Just wishful thinking. However, that being said, those in my opinion are the most likely slide options that could be added.

Anyone else buy the limited edition collector pin set? I was reluctant to do it but since only 40 complete framed sets were made I went ahead and got one. Not sure which number out of 40 I got yet because we arent visiting again until Sunday. Also the limited buttons for riding the carousel horse and the poster.

^I agree. It's never a good sign.

Coasters that it helps to know some tricks to ride is so common, however, that it cannot be ignored. It could even be argued that's all of them, although certainly some more than others. On PTC-trained woodies, that's mostly "don't sit in the wheel seat." You could say such flawed rides can never be considered truly great, but it doesn't mean they can't be great for you.

I'm not sure it really affects Shockwave though. That one's more just can you handle it, and the restraints, or not, except for needing to use the headrest right coming out of the helix. Unlike many coasters with some roughness, I think most of Shockwave's is by design. It's too overbuilt to have changed much with age. You're standing up and it uses, in a calculated way, simplistic track geometries to make it feel like you're going to be thrown off.

BTW, I rode Hurler. Front row was somewhat fun. Fortunately and unfortunately they've made progress towards it becoming a mild family ride. No I'm not trying a wheel seat, but otherwise it's quite smooth. My problem with it is I preferred the fire-breathing monster it was before the trim brake. Everyone complained about it and unfortunately, the park listened.

^I agree. It's never a good sign.

I'm not sure it really affects Shockwave though. That one's more just can you handle it, and the restraints, or not, except for needing to use the headrest right coming out of the helix. Unlike many coasters with some roughness, I think most of Shockwave's is by design. It's too overbuilt to have changed much with age. You're standing up and it uses, in a calculated way, simplistic track geometries to make it feel like you're going to be thrown off.

I'm not so sure that it is by design, though. SkyRider at Canada's Wonderland is nearly a twin to Shockwave, but when I rode it a couple years back, it was so much smoother that it was an entirely different ride, despite that it's the older of the two. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, whether it's just maintenance or something actually constructed differently, but Shockwave is just so much more painful.

Okay, here's my take on what can happen coming next season.

As for the possibility of putting a second ride inside Volcano, I would be all for it, but only if they could make it work. Then again, that's why all the engineers have college degrees so they could take a difficult problem and work it out. I can see either a flat ride or a small family inverted ride ( Why not, Kings Island and Carowinds have one, so why not Kings Dominion?).

Waterworks could use another water attraction or two. My vote would be for a water coaster because they are AWESOME!!!

Other additions the park could use would include adding an overhead waterfall for White Water Canyon and fixing the last waterfall effect when the raft comes out of the log mill. Also, the Crypts fire and water effects needs fixing.

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

I was at the park today so i'll just give a brief recap of what went on. Short lines since many were in school, and so it was easy to get rides on everything. Two things jumped out to me from this visit: the first is that the singing mushroom intervals in between singing has been shortened from 20 minutes to now 15 minutes. So show times are now at the hour, :15, :30, and :45. So that's now 4 shows an hour instead of 3. Ive posted the photo of the new sign, where you can see that theyve covered up the 20 with a 15. That makes me happy. The other thing was that I spent a couple of hours out the waterpark and many of the slides and attractions rides weren't open. It was frustrating, as I wanted to ride many of them, and they weren't open! This park absolutely needs a water park expansion. That's another thing that stood out to me. After all the time of not visiting the water park, coming back to it made me look at it in a different pov. Yeah...it needs an upgrade.

image.thumb.jpg.fa74d4a3ce64f19be4e026b07058f5e4.jpg

Edited by CPSFMMCW
I was at the park today so i'll just give a brief recap of what went on. Short lines since many were in school, and so it was easy to get rides on everything. Two things jumped out to me from this visit: the first is that the singing mushroom intervals in between singing has been shortened from 20 minutes to now 15 minutes. So show times are now at the hour, :15, :30, and :45. So that's now 4 shows an hour instead of 3. Ive posted the photo of the new sign, where you can see that theyve covered up the 20 with a 15. That makes me happy. The other thing was that if i'm correct, this was the first day the water park was open. Spent a couple of hours there and many of the water rides werent open. It was frustrating, as I wanted to ride many of them, and they weren't open! This park absolutely needs a water park expansion. That's another thing that stood out to me. After all the time of not visiting the water park, coming back to it made me look at it in a different pov. Yeah...it needs an upgrade.

meh, not a fan of water. i feel like it never should have been built in the first place. KD doesn't have the resources to maintain a full theme park AND a good water park. i wish they'd have stayed focused.

WaterWorks opened up 2 weeks ago on May 24th. Some of the attractions were probably closed yesterday due to low attendance and limited staff (lifeguards still in school).

For anyone in the area, tomorrow the park is doing a variety of special things (free buttons, shows, ect.) for their 40th day being opened this season along with having some special 40th merchandise (including an awesome poster). I wish I could make it for the buttons and posters tomorrow. Check out their Facebook page for more information.

I like the idea of a water park expansion.

A new style mat racer and a pair of blaster slides would be an awesome addition, for an example.

BoCdmm4IMAA3E47.jpg_large.thumb.jpg.357cbff56fae43cd221011f5e57ef50a.jpg

0.thumb.jpg.a086dc710942a3d7681d1e39e4ae0283.jpg