TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I actually like Hurler as well. I'd personally rather see Grizzly leave. But it won't. I'd rather see neither of them leave, really. And as for the water park comment, I agree. Heres what they need to do:

Coaster 2015

Water Park Expansion 2016 (bonzai pipelines style, bowl/wave slide)

New Flat ride 2017 (Preferably a MaXair or Screamin' Swing)

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently the park sent out an email saying that Kings Dominion will open on March 22nd! Oh, did I say March? I meant May. Alpengeist, InvadR and Verbolten are open tomorrow. This comp

Too bad Volcano isn't still around. It was ahead of its time not only technologically, but it already had limited capacity down to a science.

Yesterday, after my brief stop at SFA, I fought through the perpetual Northern Virginia I-95 traffic to check out Kings Dominion's Taste of the Season event - a COVID-blamed Winterfest-lite.  And beli

Posted Images

And as for the water park comment, I agree. Heres what they need to do:

Coaster 2015

Water Park Expansion 2016 (bonzai pipelines style, bowl/wave slide)

New Flat ride 2017 (Preferably a MaXair or Screamin' Swing)

Please, tell me more about all of these things parks need to in the future. Every major park topic I read lately has some far-fetched wish list of what you think the park should get.

Sorry to jump on you, but after awhile your speculations for all of these parks need calm down as neither you, me, or 99.9% of people on this site is qualified to tell a park what rides they should add in the future.

ok. Lets stop talking about 2015 then. Anyone got anything to talk about then? I got nothin.

Here's an idea. Let's talk about what's coming to KD this year, or anything that's already there. That sounds good.

So, back on topic, I can't say anything about Hurler since I've never been to KD, but from what other people have said, it seems like kind of painful ride.

ok. Lets stop talking about 2015 then. Anyone got anything to talk about then? I got nothin.

Here's an idea. Let's talk about what's coming to KD this year, or anything that's already there. That sounds good.

So, back on topic, I can't say anything about Hurler since I've never been to KD, but from what other people have said, it seems like kind of painful ride.

I rode it once, and from my experience, it wasn't HORRIBLE, but it certainly was one of the worse wooden coasters I've ridden. I think it is a worthy candidate of removal if need be.

It used to be great fun back in the 1990s. It only began to suck around 2004 or so. Especially that curve right after the first drop. The whole train would vibrate so bad throughout the course. Carowinds' copy has actually been worse. Putting the trim on the first drop helped with the spinal adjustments, but it completely nixed the only reason to ride the coaster. It had airtime before the brake was added. I remember back in the 90s, sometimes the airtime would leave bruises on your legs due to how forcefully you would pull up into your lap bar. I hope that if Carowinds' redo of the first curve and removal of the trim goes well, that they redo ours and remove our trim too. Either do that or get rid of it and build a new wooden coaster.

Back in the popular days with Wayne's World/Hurler.

1618659_373289199478504_1215633281_n.jpg.663f96ccc53b1841ecd812acb7489e48.jpg

The old entrance "WAY" to Wayne's World.

250445_233126353367983_5913298_n.jpg.bc67e83979eb0f2fcedc3bcdae6933a0.jpg

Remembering the station back in the Paramount Era when Hurler's station was themed to the movie.

Thanks for sharing those. I had no idea Hurler's station used to look like that.

yeah, and in the line, on video monitors, Mike Myers as Wayne would give a spiel about buckling your seatbelt and keeping your arms in the train and whatnot.

a nice effort theming-wise, but i remember being extremely disappointed with the ride from day one. it was always crap, and has gotten worse and worse over the years. it was pretty much unridable by 2005 or so with the vibration. must admit i haven't ridden it since, but i didn't even like it when it was brand new.

Many may not remember, as this wasn't around long, mayybe a couple of seasons. Here's a look at Wayne's Basement, which was more of a photo ops used during this era. It was located where Ricochet stands today.

WB.JPG.f36e9e8178988c5341db8f9a4c1d94eb.JPG

That's right, way back in 1994, when the park was known as "Paramount's Kings Dominion", the powers-to-be had some very deep pockets in order to expand the park and add another area called "Wayne's World". This was to be the "most awesomely" area of the park full of rock 'n' roll, the return of a flying scooter ride dubbed "The Scream Weaver" ( In which I thought was a play on words from the Gary Wright's song "Dream Weaver"), grab an ice-cold Coke-a-cola from Stans, and to ride the ultimate coaster to end all coasters, The Hurler. Party on, Wayne!!!

Well, that ended after the 2000 season when both Wayne's World and Candy Apple Grove combined and simply became "The Grove". Now that area is more themed to the Golden Oldies. Now that Candy Apple Grove is back, who knows what will become of that area: will it stay the same and undergo a brand new theme?

kiNGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

If they're working on Hurler, could they be experimenting with removing the brakes for its final season? Wouldn't need to preserve it anymore.

Back when it opened, I was disappointed too, but I think it was more that it didn't seem like what they needed to be doing at the time. Also too long lines for what it was. I got into it more after it was "worse". Actually really first discovered the ride during my one Carowinds visit -- for a short time it was the best coaster in the park.

They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

via Kings Dominion's facebook,"Our singing mushrooms are in rehearsal this morning in our warehouse preparing for their debut on April 5 for our #KD40 Celebration!"

1981807_10151942540041875_1258873945_n.jpg.52f611096677f3c147112d75be710b88.jpg

um, those are singing whats again? Oh never mind, that's what I had always thought as a kid. But now that I am an adult, I know better. It just brings out my inner Monty Python, that's all. Sorry 'bout that post there, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Ok, sorry bout that last post, but really now , lets be honest. Most everyone I knew thought that was part of the reason they got rid of that exhibit. Most people would walk by the "show", and just giggle and snicker, especially once it got old and faded.

I wonder if they'll keep the Singing Mushrooms beyond the 40th-anniversary celebration. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a "temporary" little show.

Per Kings Dominion, The Singing Mushrooms, etc. that is adding into the 40th are staying for good.

They just added these photos to their page this evening(not the actual grid), the everything is coming along very nicely. I especially like how the Floral Clock seems to sit a tad bit higher than the original.

1280485_383920068415417_1468228180_n.thumb.jpg.d53b64288916fdca979ca5987dab49f2.jpg