TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

i went to the park yesterday and it was fantastic. despite the light crowd, all rides were open and i didn't see any problems. the weather was overcast but not rainy. cool but not chilly until the evening. perfect. the longest line of the day was Volcano at 22 minutes. most rides were near-walk-on.

the new Border Cafe was excellent. love being able to specify exactly what ingredients go into my burrito. i picked the "spicy" (corn) salsa, but i think i'll try something else next time. it wasn't spicy at all. like ... about as spicy as Chipotle's "mild". it was weird. but at least there was hot sauce on the table i could use to augment, and the burrito certainly tasted delicious!

i was also pleased to discover that Outer Hanks has a microbrew on tap - Main Street Virginia Ale by Center of the Universe Brewing Company. it's a malty and tasty ale, but a bit slight. i'm not complaining -- it was refreshing, but i would absolutely love to see a higher gravity IPA or (imperial) stout offered. but hey, i'll take what i can get, and kudos for stocking something other than the standard macro brew triad of miller lite, yuengling (made from rice and corn), and blue moon (a fake microbrew produced by coors).

i305 was running phenomenally as usual. greatest ride on the planet, bar none. front seat and back seat are both great in their own ways. can't figure out which i prefer.

Dominator was MUCH smoother than the last time i rode it (two years ago). it was rattling quite badly then, but yesterday on 3 laps in 3 different seats, that soft B&M glide was in full effect.

Rebel Yell was running significantly better than i remember. it looked like it had received some rehab recently, and whatever they did certainly worked.

Grizzly was an enigma. it's normally my favorite woodie at KD. i rode it twice, both in the same seat (near the rear). one ride was awesome, and the other was an unpleasant rattly mess. the only thing i can figure was that maybe the train was full for one ride and empty for the other. honestly i can't remember which was which, though. oh well.

Volcano, Flight of Fear, and Ricochet, were all much as i remember them -- that is, extremely enjoyable!

Anaconda and Hurler were much as i remember them as well .... *awkward silence*

the ride ops on all rides were enthusiastic, fast and efficient. Shockwave's line was slow, but i mean what can they do. those restraints suck. not their fault. i was especially impressed with the folks operating Backlot Stunt Coaster -- that thing seemed like it was dispatching every 30 seconds. good work.

the new Planet Snoopy area looks great. can't wait to take my kids, they're gonna have a blast!

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait, there is actually going to be a safari-themed ride in Safari Village? Is that allowed? 🤣

My money, in all seriousness, is on Tiki Twirl.  CF already has a logo drawn up and everything.

He has a lot more history with Kings Dominion than just 2 years. You also forgot that Carnival and Winterfest also came in under him (I know they aren't rides, but I feel they are big improvements for

Posted Images

i305 was running phenomenally as usual. greatest ride on the planet, bar none.

This might mean that I have to turn in my "coaster enthusiast card" but I highly disagree and I don't understand why this ride is so popular. I rode I305 for the first time on Saturday, hated it, but rode it again in a different spot. I wouldn't ride it a third time. Even with the adjusted turn, I still greyed out, almost to the point of blacking out completely. I don't see the joy in a coaster making you almost faint. Am I the only one?

The middle of the ride was fun, although slightly jarring. And what could have been a great ending was ruined by the brakes going up into the final 'airtime' hill.

Sorry but I like my coasters to be fast, fun, smooth and preferably to not cause a brain hemorrhage. Bad I305, bad!

^ Absolutely nothing wrong with that, to each their own. I personally loved the intensity, but almost graying out on that first turn was slightly annoying. It certainly isn't a coaster that I would marathon.

^I love I305, but I usually have to sit out after three consecutive rides. It's the only ride that's ever caused me to gray out.

I love i305 and think it's a top 10 coaster for sure, but I do think it's slightly overrated (that may be partially due to the fact that I had hyped it up so much). I don't really understand why it has over the shoulder restraints and due to the lack of anything near the track to enhance the sensations of height and speed it didn't seem as fast and amazing as the statistics show. It has some really good airtime but the over the shoulder restraints take a lot away from that. I absolutely love the coaster and the fast changes in direction but I enjoy coasters like El Toro, Phoenix and even Nitro (flame on) more because I love the sensation of airtime without any restraints above the waist. Also, while I'm not saying it's better... I think a coaster like Millennium Force feels much faster because of the fact that you're flying by objects that you give you a point of reference to how fast you're actually going.

This might mean that I have to turn in my "coaster enthusiast card" but I highly disagree and I don't understand why this ride is so popular.

i think it goes without saying that the phrase "greatest ride on the planet, bar none" is a subjective opinion to the point that prefacing it with the qualifier "in my opinion" would be redundant.

but since you asked about the appeal, i'll go into a little more detail on why i love it more than any other coaster. note that the following sentences are merely my opinion : Intimidator 305 delivers a level of pure intensity that is unmatched by any other coaster. i love the insane speed, and the out of control feeling throughout the course -- the high speed turns low to the ground, quick changes of direction, the insane air time on the first two drops, and the quick airtime pops on the laster descents. all of this is achieved at the upper limit of positive Gs, yet without roughness or headbanging. it feels intense in an intentional and well-engineered way (as opposed to say a Vekoma SLC which is rough and painful through poor design). furthermore, and again this is subjective, but greying out just doesn't bother me at all. i get the same effect when i stand up too fast sometimes. really no big deal to me, and actually i think it's kind of cool that a coaster can be so aggressive without being rough. it gives me appreciation for how much Intamin is pushing the outer boundries of human tolerance of positive Gs with this ride.

Sorry but I like my coasters to be fast, fun, smooth and preferably to not cause a brain hemorrhage.

coaster preferences (smoothness, fast, fun) are of course subjective. but the bolded part i do have a bit of a problem with -- a grey out is not and cannot cause a "brain hemorrage". in fact it's the opposite -- a hemorrage is burst blood vessels in the brain, caused by too much pressure, and is very bad, obviously. a grey out is caused by reduced blood pressure in the brain, and is medically harmless (unless you're like ... in the process of operating an aircraft at the time of the grey out ). (of course, if you simply find grey outs unpleasant, that's your prerogative)

^^ That goes ditto for me as well; I get grayouts everytime we go down that first hill and head into the first tight turn, but it isn't painful and I don't need to do anything else except go along with the ride. And by the time we reach the top of the first hill I'm back to normal.

Intimidator 305 isn't the only ride I've gotten a grayout on, I also got grayout while riding Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia and Bizzaro at Six Flags New England. I guess getting a grayout every now and then isn't so bad as long as you're still consious, still awake, and still breathing by the time you come back to the station, but I still don't want to get too many of those.

Of course, there is always PLANET SNOOPY to fall back on whenever I need a break from riding those big, bad rides.

35 YEARS OF GOING TO kINGS dOMINION - AND COUNTING!!!

Almost every time I rode i305, I've greyed out on it as well. Along with that, I recollect greying out on Batman the ride and Mindbender at Six Flags Over Georgia, Montu at Busch gardens, and the enterprise ride at Kentucky Kingdom. Can't say I know what could prevent it for me other than allowing my body to adjust to the higher forces and summer heat mix. After a few rerides or other rides, I'm usually okay and grey out less.

i305 was running phenomenally as usual. greatest ride on the planet, bar none.
Even with the adjusted turn, I still greyed out

The adjusted turn wasn't adjusted for the sake of people blacking out. It was adjusted for the wheels on the trains, mostly.

Some even claim they greyout more with the new turn than the original turn... myself included.

I never rode it before the re-profile. I only greyed out the first time I rode it. The second lap I was fine as I drank some water before hand and kind of prepared for it.

What exactly was causing the damage to the trains? The the sheer force or was it something with the shaping/snap?

Some even claim they greyout more with the new turn than the original turn... myself included.

I never rode it before the re-profile. I only greyed out the first time I rode it. The second lap I was fine as I drank some water before hand and kind of prepared for it.

What exactly was causing the damage to the trains? The the sheer force or was it something with the shaping/snap?

I believe the track put too much friction on the wheels, causing them to basically melt away.

I believe the track put too much friction on the wheels, causing them to basically melt away.

Pretty much, yup. It's the combination of the high forces and the duration they're applied - plenty of coasters pull 4-5G's, very few of them do so for more than a second or two at a time. I305 pulls that straight through that entire turn, and before the reprofile that was probably somewhere around like 7-8 seconds worth. Now it's probably closer to 4, and then the forces begin to decrease a bit as the train loses speed. It's still enough to force all the blood in your brain down and cause the greyout, but it's done wonders for the wheel longevity!

Hello!

I am new here. My name is Grace and I'm 17.

I have been going to KD since I was a little girl.

But here's the catch. I am a vintage KD junkie! I've been scrolling through the post on here and seeing all the pictures and information has really inspired me- I really want to write a book for KD's history. Would anyone want to help me? I know the basis of most stuff but I would need a general time line of which rides came when. I also want to add pictures, but I need to ask to use them from who ever owns them, so If you have any pictures I an use lemme know!

Thanks!

-Grace

Hello!

I am new here. My name is Grace and I'm 17.

I have been going to KD since I was a little girl.

But here's the catch. I am a vintage KD junkie! I've been scrolling through the post on here and seeing all the pictures and information has really inspired me- I really want to write a book for KD's history. Would anyone want to help me? I know the basis of most stuff but I would need a general time line of which rides came when. I also want to add pictures, but I need to ask to use them from who ever owns them, so If you have any pictures I an use lemme know!

Thanks!

-Grace

this would be really cool and i'd buy it! i'm 35, so all the ancient KD history like the singing mushrooms, yogi's cave, the apple turnover and king kobra are indelible elements of my childhood.

one thing you might try is searching your DVR for upcoming airings of "Rollercoaster", a movie from 1977 that occasionally gets aired (it was on a few months ago, i think on WGN). it's a B-movie about a mad bomber blowing up roller coasters, but it has some awesome footage of what the park looked like in '77. There's several minutes of on-ride footage of Rebel Yell when it was brand new. Lake Charles is beautiful with an enormous fountain where Anaconda currently sits, and of course took up the entire area where the water park is now. you get decent glimpses of the aforementioned mushrooms, the skyride, and many other attractions as well. (even in some scenes that are supposedly taking place at other parks, you can tell they filmed it at KD)

one thing you might try is searching your DVR for upcoming airings of "Rollercoaster", a movie from 1977 that occasionally gets aired (it was on a few months ago, i think on WGN). it's a B-movie about a mad bomber blowing up roller coasters, but it has some awesome footage of what the park looked like in '77. There's several minutes of on-ride footage of Rebel Yell when it was brand new. Lake Charles is beautiful with an enormous fountain where Anaconda currently sits, and of course took up the entire area where the water park is now. you get decent glimpses of the aforementioned mushrooms, the skyride, and many other attractions as well.

Yes! It also has great footage of Magic Mountain. The finale involves a newly opened Revolution. Good stuff.

CoasterRadio did a hilarious audio commentary podcast for this movie. I highly recommend watching it a second time with the commentary if you are a fan of the show.

smallpox stated -

oh also i suppose i should mention that Windseeker was up and running.oh also i suppose i should mention that Windseeker was up and running.

The next sound you'll hear are tons of riders and amusement park flyers rejoicing.

"WA-HOO!!!"

"35 YEARS OF GOING TO kINGS dOMINION - AND COUNTING!!!"

Any rumors floating around on the "BIG Surprise" that is being revealed at the end of SnoopyCON? Another big box of chocolate chip cookies perhaps? I havent been to the park so i don't know if there is a big present looking box on display like at Cedar Point a few years back celebrating Snoopys birthday.

Speaking of Snoopycon, here's ah announcement from the park:

In 2013, Kings Dominion is excited to announce SnoopyCON: A Coaster Enthusiast Family and Friend Event! This park-sponsored event will take place on Saturday, July 6th, just a few months after the opening of our bigger, better Planet Snoopy – the world’s largest PEANUTS-themed children’s area!

The price for the event is $59.99 and that includes a PEANUTS character breakfast, early ride time in Planet Snoopy, behind-the-scenes tours in Planet Snoopy and Intimidator 305, lunch and much more.

In addition, we are providing a HUGE surprise at the end of the event. While I won’t give away the exact surprise itself just yet, here’s a hint: it certainly will make the day at Kings Dominion amazing and full of more thrills than ever before for you and your family!

Your group members can purchase tickets by visiting www.kingsdominion.com/snoopycon. There is also a tentative itinerary posted on that site, along with additional information you’ll need to make SnoopyCON the best day possible.

SnoopyCON_Flyer_FINAL.pdf

SnoopyCON Event Flyer

Ok i was looking at the kings dominion website, for fast pass prices. and it looks like for 2 people it looks like it will be $55. with that price that will get me on all the rides right?

Thanks

Guys