TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

This park has added Intimidator 305, Windseeker and Dinosaurs Alive! all in the span on two years.

The nitpicker in me is screaming, gotta get this off my chest:

I095 opened in 2010, was tweaked and silently reopened in 2011, with WS and DA arriving in 2012. That's three years' worth of attractions.

Still, an outstanding lineup of capital improvements, no matter which way you slice it.

now back to your regularly scheduled complaining about the "Non-announcement" that is the new Planet Snoopy.

Personally, not only am i not surprised, I think that this is a thrilling addition for this park. As the parent of a 10, 7, and 4 year old, I usually found it not worth my time to take the family to KD, opting for BGW instead. Now i have to actually think about where to taker the family. I suspect that a lot of the DC-based families may have the same thought - it's an extra hour to BGW for us, if KD has improved its kids area so much, let's try that out. As we've seen, they don't really seem to be flocking to the new Thomas, ahem, Train Town at SFA.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently the park sent out an email saying that Kings Dominion will open on March 22nd! Oh, did I say March? I meant May. Alpengeist, InvadR and Verbolten are open tomorrow. This comp

Too bad Volcano isn't still around. It was ahead of its time not only technologically, but it already had limited capacity down to a science.

Yesterday, after my brief stop at SFA, I fought through the perpetual Northern Virginia I-95 traffic to check out Kings Dominion's Taste of the Season event - a COVID-blamed Winterfest-lite.  And beli

Posted Images

Have you seen their Facebook page? In the days leading up to the announcement, the page was abuzz with GP speculating about what the announcement might be. Then once the announcement was made, the page was blown up with hundreds of complaints, gripes, insults, etc. In all fairness, the facebook-fan demographic is probably outnumbered by the silent majority of parents with kids who will be thrilled by the announcement. But I do think they could have maybe made their little teasers a little more obvious so they could have avoided the slight embarrassment of their Facebook page being blown up by complainers for a few days. All in all, it's not really a big deal, and its certainly being blown out of proportion.

Never ever pay attention of what is said on Facebook. Over 50% of comments on most park's pages should be deleted. I think the park realizes not to pay most of the comments any attention. People like to vent without actually thinking before hand and that leads to crazy and useless comments.

I really can't see your 7 and 10 years olds giving two craps about any of these new rides, unless they are very timid riders, which would mean you wouldn't even go to KD with them.

The rides being added are for the under 5 set, without a doubt. Snoopy is real big with the under 5 set. NOT!

This addition was needed, but it is still very underwhelming. At the very least it should have included a new kid's steel coaster, replacing the Miler. Heck, even adding a roller-skater would have really made this a true kiddie land revamp. As it is, it's adding a smattering of carnival rides which may or may not include a small statue of a beagle on them.

And, it seems like many of the trees are maybe going bye-bye.

This is a mostly cosmetic update to thier kiddie land. I really don't understand those that are saying this is an excellent, large expansion to the land that was much needed. Perhaps they're trying to get on the media list for the new coaster or something. But, it isn't that at all. As far as I can see from the rendering, It's a new elevated train ride, a couple new, small kiddie spinners, and a small rockin tug. Oh, and an open market selling fruit! Just what kids want when they are at an amusement park.

Again, this is NOT a major expansion to the kiddie area. No new land is being created, except for that under the old Yogi Treasure Cave that was removed from said land, and was much more unique than anything coming next year.

-RO

I really can't see your 7 and 10 years olds giving two craps about any of these new rides, unless they are very timid riders, which would mean you wouldn't even go to KD with them.

7 to 10 year olds are probably leaning toward bigger rides (swings, rapids, wooden coasters, Stunt Coaster) to care about this expansion. That being said, this was needed as the old area was becoming tired.

At the very least it should have included a new kid's steel coaster, replacing the Miler. Heck, even adding a roller-skater would have really made this a true kiddie land revamp. As it is, it's adding a smattering of carnival rides which may or may not include a small statue of a beagle on them.

Regarding kiddie rides, the current selection of rides/coasters they have there is fine. Plus this is CF we're talking about. Its a far cry from Disney or even Busch level theming.

I can see from the rendering, It's a new elevated train ride, a couple new, small kiddie spinners, and a small rockin tug. Oh, and an open market selling fruit! Just what kids want when they are at an amusement park.

Nothing wrong with that. Most children's areas are just that anyway. A bunch of spinning rides, a small coaster, and a few other options.This is gonna be no different from most kid's areas.

Again, this is NOT a major expansion to the kiddie area. No new land is being created, except for that under the old Yogi Treasure Cave that was removed from said land, and was much more unique than anything coming next year.

It's an expansion. That's all that really matters in the end. Families are gonna come to enjoy it. If you want KD to get another coaster, just wait a few more years and one will come in no time.

--

I honestly CF/SF should invest in a licensed themed children's area that everyone can enjoy (kids, parents, even teens) because both Peanuts and Looney Tunes are timeless classics, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

Disclaimer: Once again, not saying I'm disappointed in the announcement.

Why piss their FB fans off though? Yes, we as people who follow every update might have known what was coming, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this campaign would end up pissing people off. You can't blame the FB fans, it's a given they're gonna be stupid, but after a few years of Facebook, parks still haven't figured this out.

It's my opinion though that none of this hype was needed. They run so many Radio/TV ads and put up so many billboards for these chain wide, it'd be impossible for anyone not to notice.

Disclaimer: Once again, not saying I'm disappointed in the announcement.

Why piss their FB fans off though? Yes, we as people who follow every update might have known what was coming, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this campaign would end up pissing people off. You can't blame the FB fans, it's a given they're gonna be stupid, but after a few years of Facebook, parks still haven't figured this out.

It's my opinion though that none of this hype was needed. They run so many Radio/TV ads and put up so many billboards for these chain wide, it'd be impossible for anyone not to notice.

It's good business to create the hype. You build higher exposure for the park with a very limited amount of time and money spent, as opposed to tv ads and billboards which can eat away at the marketing budget.

And as far as Facebook fans go, I've learned to ignore them. Go to just about every park Facebook page that has made an announcement so far this year. Even those with big new coaster like Cedar Point, SFFT, and SDC, have people that are doing nothing but complain. Why? Because people will always find a reason to complain about something.

There is as much diversity in kids rides as there is in tween/teen/adult rides. What a 3-4 year old will ride will not be something a 7-8 year old will want to ride and vice-versa. Planet Snoopy core age group will be the 3 to 8 year old group. (Probably including 9 - 10 year old kids if they are on the timid side). It seem there will be a spread of rides to cover that age range.

Saying the new stuff is for 5 and under is nonsense

Edited by mhuffva

^^^^I still think you are overestimating who the audience really is for these announcements. Yes, the Facebook followers might be pissed. But at the end of the day, was the announcement meant primarily for them? No.

People get pissed about Facebook announcements all the time. Look at Universal Orlando's announcement on Facebook from when they announced that Jaws would be closing. The benefit and detriment of Facebook is that followers can openly express their opinions in a collective space, lending more of a voice to a positive or negative opinion, but they do not represent the majority, nor do they represent a large number when you scale it to the actual reach of the park's audience including those that don't follow them on Facebook or any other social media site.

In a few months, maybe even weeks, the negativity will have mostly blown over and people will go back to clamoring over the idea of an 800 foot hypercoaster to come to the park in 2014. This announcement hasn't created the ill will you make it out to be to the point where people wouldn't go back. If they follow Kings Dominion on Facebook, it is likely that they have been there before (if not multiple times) and were happy with how the park is now. An announcement over something to make the park better shouldn't prevent them from liking the park as it is now, because at the end of the day, barring that one area that will be better, it will be the same park it was this season with a modified children's area next season.

Edited by jedimaster1227
^ Who cares if they piss off 500 or so Facebook fans? There are hundreds of thousands of people that will come to the park next season and be thankful of the new addition. Those complainers will still come to the park next season...

Umm, Cedar Fair... Being a business that directly relies on their customers cash.

Obviously it's not going to drag down the company, it's just kind of an ass-backwards way of running things.

People get pissed about Facebook announcements all the time.

Kind of ridiculous that this even happens. "You announced new rides but not what I wanted so now I'm angry" - the sense of entitlement in this attitude borders on the absurd.

New rides going in, the old ones are sticking around, nobody is being short-changed by the move. Good on Kings Dominion for giving families some more to do.

For all the recent posts about Facebook: That is why there is a thread dedicated to the stupid shit the GP says on Facebook. I wouldn't not the success of an announcement by going by what anyone says on Facebook. And this is coming from the TPR Facebook Moderator.

Edited by ernierocker
For those of you upset about the "records" being broken, welcome to the world of theme park marketing.

In addition, there is no Santa Claus. The Kidsville area was long overdue for an overhaul.

For those of you upset about the "records" being broken, welcome to the world of theme park marketing.

In addition, there is no Santa Claus.

My younger brother is dissappointed in your lack of faith

The Kidsville area was long overdue for an overhaul.

+1

Couple of thoughts:

I did not catch all the pre-announcement marketing stuff, but I think people WAY overreacted to it. The fact that it was a Planet Snoopy upgrade was about the worst kept secret since the iPhone 5. Anyone that was deluding themselves that they were getting Expedition GeForce 2 next year is, well, deluded. The idea behind marketing is to get people excited, to get the hype going. Looks like they did just that. People reading their own interpretations into it and getting themselves all riled up about a new coaster only have themselves to blame if they're now upset. I love how the park is supposed to spell out EXACTLY what they're going to announce in marketing materials hyping up the announcement, so as not to "disappoint" anyone. Um, OK...

Facebook is a cesspit. Unless it's going to be heavily moderated, it's almost useless as a marketing tool. Too many trolls and children that think they know everything and are always "right" and cas post whatever they feel. A bunch of whiners on the KD page will mean ZERO to their attendance next year. Most of those complaining will be back, season pass in hand, in 2013.

I don't have kids and don't pay attention to most "kids" stuff at the park, but do recall the area looking kind of dumpy the last time I was at the park. So good for them updating it.

dt

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm making my first trip to KD this Sunday (in Virginia from the UK working for a few weeks).

My question is, is the Fast Lane worth the extra $50 or are the lines normally not big enough to justify it?

Thanks

Austin

Went to Haunt tonight, absolutely empty, longest wait was 20 minutes for Blue Ridge Bloodbath. Got 8/10 mazes done skipping Slaughterhouse (as I find it to be a poor house anyways) and Cornstalkers, which was closed. Anyways, here's my breakdown.

Blue Ridge Bloodbath - 7/10. It's a unique concept for Haunt, and it has it's moments. But something about being in a car makes the whole experience less frightening for me. A few good scares here.

Doll Factory - 9/10. Remains hands down the creepiest maze at KD. Scares are aplenty as well with some neat affects, creepy costumes, and great positioning. Definitely a can't miss.

Toxic Plague - 10/10. When I went through, there was no line so it was just me and my family, a total of four people. Needless to say scares where everywhere in this house, the dim lighting also provides some GREAT hiding spots.

No Vacancy - 6/10. The lighting was too bright which lead to most of the scares being seen way in advance. Still a decent house. The scenery inside is INCREDIBLE, but the scares are hit or miss.

Club Blood - 8/10. As always, it's a great maze. It's short, but it packs a lot into the little time it has. Still one of my favorite houses.

Camp Killauee - 7/10. Scares are far between, but they are good when they come. A neat maze, a bit short, but still good.

Medieval Macabre - 8/10. MUCH MUCH improved over last year. The lighting has been turned down, the whole inside (minus a room or two) redone, the costumes new, and the scares abundant. Still does have a problem with becoming a bit of a queue towards the end of the house.

Outbreak: The Evolution - 7/10. Very much a timing maze. You'll either get scared or simply laugh at those ahead of you getting scared. It's a very timing reliant maze but, when it works, it's good.

SCARE ZONES:

Primeval - 1/5. Okay, cannibal tribesmen. I'm game. That's cool. So... when do they actually do something besides stand around?

Necropolis - 5/5. Easily the best scare zone of the night. Scares are abundant and very well done.

Feary Tales - 3/5. Not bad, but not great. A scare or two tops.

^ Nope, it was either just another fanboy rumor or the plan got scrapped. I got 3 rides in the front on Volcano this weekend, and there's no signs of anything happening soon.

Also, I was beyond impressed by Haunt XII. I'll post a full review later on, but I'd give the park a solid A on the event this season.

Couple of thoughts:

I did not catch all the pre-announcement marketing stuff, but I think people WAY overreacted to it. The fact that it was a Planet Snoopy upgrade was about the worst kept secret since the iPhone 5. Anyone that was deluding themselves that they were getting Expedition GeForce 2 next year is, well, deluded. The idea behind marketing is to get people excited, to get the hype going. Looks like they did just that. People reading their own interpretations into it and getting themselves all riled up about a new coaster only have themselves to blame if they're now upset. I love how the park is supposed to spell out EXACTLY what they're going to announce in marketing materials hyping up the announcement, so as not to "disappoint" anyone. Um, OK...

Facebook is a cesspit. Unless it's going to be heavily moderated, it's almost useless as a marketing tool. Too many trolls and children that think they know everything and are always "right" and cas post whatever they feel. A bunch of whiners on the KD page will mean ZERO to their attendance next year. Most of those complaining will be back, season pass in hand, in 2013.

I don't have kids and don't pay attention to most "kids" stuff at the park, but do recall the area looking kind of dumpy the last time I was at the park. So good for them updating it.

dt

I think this is right on the money. KD's version of Planet Snoopy was probably the weakest in the chain, thanks to the time and resources that the park had to devote to I305 (they opened at the same time). The old Kidsville area was long overdue for an update.

Edited by cfc