TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Hurler was a great ride during its first two years, but didn't age well. However, when we rode if for an hour during Coasting for Kids this year, we were somewhat pleasantly surprised: The ride, while not "good," wasn't as bad as we'd feared.

Roller coasters don't have to give me airtime but they have to do...something. Hurler is just a big waste of space that shuffles and meanders around some very poorly-designed turns and some hills that are less exciting than a speed bump in a car thanks to the brakes at the bottom of the drop.

In conclusion, Balder would fit in half of Hurler's footprint, so let's burn the thing and replace it with something awesome.

Hurler was a great ride during its first two years, but didn't age well. However, when we rode if for an hour during Coasting for Kids this year, we were somewhat pleasantly surprised: The ride, while not "good," wasn't as bad as we'd feared.

I agree that Hurler was wonderful the first couple of years. I just don't understand how the ride experience went downhill so fast. That is why I wondered about the engineering of this coaster; if it was the lack of track maintenance or stretching out of the track maintenance schedule a little too much; or, if it was a combination of both. Hurler is certainly not a mini "Son of Beast".

I think this has been well documented and discussed in the past about the tracking issues of PTC coaster trains. The shuffling tendencies were pretty bad on the Hurler in years past. I just did not enjoy the ride experience anymore. Combine that with the floor mounted lap bars in PTC trains and my experience with them in the previous post; it has now been 2-3 years since I last tried to ride the Hurler.

I know KD brakes the ride at the base of the 1st drop; maybe that, along with new track work, has improved the ride experience since the last time I rode it. As I get older, I don't have the tolerance to endure some of the wooden coaster rides like I used to.

So KD decided to drop a teaser on us for another potential new attraction. Anyone wanna speculate? So far rumors say this has something to do with a record breaking Planet Snoopy expansion, but I have a feeling this might have something to do with the water park.

339140062_8-9-20122-57-05PM.jpg.266070822c190a8e98408de2f43bf285.jpg

Speculate away

Roller coasters don't have to give me airtime but they have to do...something. Hurler is just a big waste of space that shuffles and meanders around some very poorly-designed turns and some hills that are less exciting than a speed bump in a car thanks to the brakes at the bottom of the drop.

In conclusion, Balder would fit in half of Hurler's footprint, so let's burn the thing and replace it with something awesome.

I'd love to be able to ride a Balder clone. Doubt I'll be going to Europe anytime again soon to ride it. Heck, if they don't want to even do that, get something like SFStL's American Thunder. That'd fit there too.

Also, anyone else think that perhaps for next year that Ricochet may be moved to Planet Snoopy? They could then open up the area it's in now for a second waterpark entrance. I also think the current top part of Planet Snoopy (Flying Aces, water play area, and possibly Peanuts Showplace) should be moved to the Kidzville area or removed and that space opened up for when the park decides to get rid of Shockwave for a wingrider or something.

I'd love to be able to ride a Balder clone. Doubt I'll be going to Europe anytime again soon to ride it. Heck, if they don't want to even do that, get something like SFStL's American Thunder. That'd fit there too.

Also, anyone else think that perhaps for next year that Ricochet may be moved to Planet Snoopy? They could then open up the area it's in now for a second waterpark entrance. I also think the current top part of Planet Snoopy (Flying Aces, water play area, and possibly Peanuts Showplace) should be moved to the Kidzville area or removed and that space opened up for when the park decides to get rid of Shockwave for a wingrider or something.

I don't think you would need to relocate Ricochet to make way for a 2nd water park entrance. There already is a path between it and the Hurler that leads to a gate to the back stage area of that section of the park. the area behind that gate is where Kings Dominion staged the Nickelodeon parade to enter and exit. KD could simply remove the gate and transform the service road/staging area into a pedestrian walkway if they wanted to.

The area where Snoopy's Flying Aces and Snoopy's Splash Dance is located had always been considered a part of the western border of the kids area (even before Nickelodeon under Paramount). I am not saying Kings Dominion could not change that.

My guess is that area will stay as part of the kids area, possibly even be enhanced if KD goes forward with a Planet Snoopy expansion for 2013.

So, looking over the teaser, I discovered this. Looks a bit like Charlie Brown. What do think?

[attachment=0]KD12-372 Teaser Homepage Banner 2.jpg[/attachment]

I think that that those are Mare Tranquillitatis and Mare Serenitatis, and that it's an actual picture of the Moon.

There are some new things on the Kings Dominion website.

First off, there is a new Halloween Haunt teaser, but still no official website. It looks like the new witch from Knott's is in the background.

1067706938_KD12-395Hauntpre-promoteBaner.jpg.0802bb97fc235f819772b66ac38fde8e.jpg

Secondly, there is now an official countdown clock on the Kings Dominion website that says "Breaking records again. The countdown begins Sept. 12". Apparently the 2013 attraction(s) will be announced at 11:00 AM. 28 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes, 44 seconds to go!

Hey KD regulars--can the park be done in 2 (or 1 and a half) days in October? Thinking of going to BGW and KD, but both are only open Fri, Sat, Sun in October. How bad does Haunt affect the crowds? Should I even bother? I've never been to KD... I would definitely get a FL pass for the full day we'd have there, but I don't know if that's enough to get though everything (mainly the coasters).

For those that frequent both parks--do you think both are do-able in a weekend? I would get a QQ at BGW as well...

The best night to go to Haunt is Friday. KD is only open from 7:00 pm to midnight, but it's a smaller crowd. But Friday is also the best night for HOS at Busch Gardens (Sunday isn't too bad).

I know that Quick Queue at BGW will get you all the mazes at HOS, in addition to rides, but I don't know if this is the case for KD's Fast Lane (they did sell something called Fright Lane for Haunt last year).

At any rate, if you hit either park on Saturday, you'll want Quick Queue or Fast Lane (BGW can hit capacity on Saturdays during HOS).

^ Thanks!

Although, since I haven't been to BGW since Drachen Fire was still there, and I've never been to KD, I'm pretty much going to do just the coasters/rides... the haunt stuff would be if time allowed (if at all).

Do ride lines get shorter during haunt because everyone goes to the mazes, etc?

My initial plan was to do BGW Friday/Sat. morning--head to KD and get a twilight ticket for Sat. night and then have the full day on Sunday...

Well, after riding Kingda Ka at SFGAdv, I REALLY hope that my homepark can get a strata. Not next year necessarily, but in the near future.

Also, I just realized that KD will have the record for the most 300 foot tall structures in a single park after Space Sprial's removal. Maybe that will be the new record? (GOD I hope not.)

Well, after riding Kingda Ka at SFGAdv, I REALLY hope that my homepark can get a strata. Not next year necessarily, but in the near future.

Also, I just realized that KD will have the record for the most 300 foot tall structures in a single park after Space Sprial's removal. Maybe that will be the new record? (GOD I hope not.)

Not haedly...they've already gotten that record.As for what's coming in 2013 we won't know till the announcement but I doubt it's a new huge coaster of the 300ft. variety as construction would've started by now as we saw with I305 back in mid 09.

It doesn't matter much to me since my season is shot thanks to what happened in recent weeks,which is why I havn't been back on the forum till now.I'm hoping my sister & her family will get 2013 passes so I can possibly go next season ut I doubt it at this point as it depends heavily on their finances as to wether or not they can afford a four pack of passes or not.