TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday, after my brief stop at SFA, I fought through the perpetual Northern Virginia I-95 traffic to check out Kings Dominion's Taste of the Season event - a COVID-blamed Winterfest-lite.  And beli

Wait, there is actually going to be a safari-themed ride in Safari Village? Is that allowed? 🤣

My money, in all seriousness, is on Tiki Twirl.  CF already has a logo drawn up and everything.

Posted Images

Zoom Zone at CW was added to the kids area in 2001 with three rides: two flats (Blast Off and Jumpin Jet) and Silver Streak (Vekoma family suspended coaster). It merged with Kidsville sometime after Cedar Fair took over. Maybe KD will introduce a similar area, but on a grander scale.

But... I would think they would add something else to the teaser that would hint at a kids area expansion if this is the case. As much as I doubt it, maybe they'll add yet another launch coaster and they market how many they have. Or a space themed attraction like Dinosaurs Alive.

Well, considering it says, "The countdown begins Sept. 12", maybe it hints to a countdown on another launch coaster? It also says "Breaking records again", and they broke the "Most Launched Coasters" record when they added BLSC, and then 2 years later, the crown was lost due to XLC's removal. So maybe another launched coaster record, "again".

Edited by Coaster_Fanatic

I am sticking to my prediction that this will be the kid's area expansion and renovation for 2013. It is way past due for this to happen. If KD goes forward with this as the 2013 addition, I think a true, unified Planet Snoopy area will be great for Kings Dominion. Get them in the park at an early age and usually they keep coming back year after year. BGW added the Sesame Street Kids Area in 2011 and that was a big hit for visitors with toddlers to kindergarten age. I think they still have "Land of the Dragons" section and the kid's rides in the Fiesta Italian section for the older kids.

I don't think it would take that much more to create a "Record Breaking" kids area in the mid-Atlantic region. Most of the other Planet Snoopy expansions/renovations carried out at several of the other Cedar Fair parks, over the last 3-4 years, added 7 to 9 new rides plus a whole revamped area with new paths and amenities. I think that the new rides will cater to the broadest spectrum of people possible. It is too easy to lump all "Kiddie" rides into one category. What a 3-4 year old will ride will certainly not be the rides a 7-8 year old would want to ride and vice-versa. So I hope they will have everything from the "mild" to slightly "wild" family rides.

Finally, I have a hard time imagining that this announcement is for a "major thrill ride" given the "countdown" does not start till mid-September. I have noticed for the non "Block Buster" attraction years, the announcements for next season's attractions usually come later in the current season.

^^That's what I'm thinking it will be some type of launched coaster, I just don't see a teaser with a Rocket blasting off into space with the tagline of breaking records very kid friendly imo

Even if it was the largest kids area in the World what would a rocket blasting off into space high above the Earth have to do with that, it just makes no sense to me and would be the worst teaser ever!!! if it has anything to do with a kids ride or area again IMO!!!

^^

All a matter of interpretation of the photo - Some will say the picture depicts launching and stratosphere and when you tie in record breaking people will assume a coaster.

Others will see the pic as reference to a spaceship heading to a planet - referencing "Planet Snoopy"

Who knows really - I just doubt KD will add another coaster this year since no signs of a coaster being installed so far - To me it would of been the best kept secret ever for a park.

I think you all need to remember that Pat Jones (Kings Dominion GM and VP) and other high ups were walking around KidZville in the spring with blueprints in their hands and taking photos.

With that in mind the teaser is hinting to one large Planet Snoopy... which is exactly what the park needs.

I went to KD for the first time about a month ago. It was a nice, quaint park. Short lines (Volcano, sometimes FOF is the exeption) Good variety of coasters, Intimidator rocks.....that kind of stuff....

But I noticed something, Is it just me, or is Shockwave not NEARLY as painful as people let on? I rode it expecting "the steel Mean Streak" And I personally thought it was a pretty fun coaster! Is it because I'm desensitized to jerky, painful coasters (I like Vekoma Boomerangs and SLCs and I enjoyed the Coney Island Cyclone. I like some roughness, don't judge me) or did they do work on it?

I think you all need to remember that Pat Jones (Kings Dominion GM and VP) and other high ups were walking around KidZville in the spring with blueprints in their hands and taking photos.

With that in mind the teaser is hinting to one large Planet Snoopy... which is exactly what the park needs.

How can it be a "record breaking" addition when most of KD's guests wouldn't be able to ride any kids rides?

I don't understand that question at all. How can Formula Rossa be record-breaking when 99% of the world's population will never ride it? Or how can Kingda Ka be one when people under 54" can't ride it? If the park expands/combines/whatevers its kids area to be the largest in whatever region they like, then it's a record.

New guess: launched Red Baron children's roller coaster. BAM. Back comes the launch record.

Disclaimer: This is not a serious guess.

^^^That is exactly what I thought of Shockwave! It's not the smoothest coaster around, but It's not terrible! I'm also into jerky, twisty crazy rides as well. Rides like Vekoma SLC's, Vekoma sit down (on certain seats), Breakdancers, wooden coasters, top spins, and such rides that leave me disoriented, slightly beaten, or thrown around are what I love the most!

I rode Shockwave for the first time on Saturday, and while it didn't kill me I wouldn't consider it re-ridable. I got the credit and do not plan on riding it again. It's fine until about halfway through the helix, then it is just a mess IMO.

Shockwave isn't overly bad, with the exception of the kink in the helix and the last turnaround before the brakes. I don't particularly enjoy my time on it, but it isn't that miserable.

The only part I find painful really is that last turn & the airtime going through the bunnyhops into the brake run hurts my shoulders a bit but it's not as bad as hurler or anaconda.

For 2013:I would expect the teaser graphic to be a little more comical/peanuts like as opposed to what we see in the art work if it were for a revamp of the kidzville area.

I already think the entire kids offerings KD has as being the largest on the East Coast. How much more bigger do they need to make it? The teaser graphic shown, for some odd reason, reminds me of the advert for Magnum in CP's 1989 brochure.

When I rode Shockwave back in June I didn't think it was that bad it's just that you had to be an expert in yoga in order to get in and out of the restraints.

I was there few weeks after there season opening and was about 20 guys running around with plans and pointing things out. I stopped one of them and asked what they where up to and he wouldn't give a straight answer. With that said I can put 2 and 2 together and have a idea that Planet Snoopy is getting a face lift . Now what the record thing I could only imagine. Maybe they been listening to KDFANCOASTERFAN and they will build another B&M coaster!!!!!!!!! LOL

Shockwave isn't overly bad, with the exception of the kink in the helix and the last turnaround before the brakes. I don't particularly enjoy my time on it, but it isn't that miserable.

The only part I find painful really is that last turn & the airtime going through the bunnyhops into the brake run hurts my shoulders a bit but it's not as bad as hurler or anaconda.

For 2013:I would expect the teaser graphic to be a little more comical/peanuts like as opposed to what we see in the art work if it were for a revamp of the kidzville area.

I kinda liked Anaconda, if it wasn't for the headbanging in the "Butterfly helices" and the really bad pacing in the corkscrews it would be a really nice ride! The underground drop is a nice touch and the loop and immelmann are very fast and forceful. Just goes to show you, Vekoma can try as they may, but they'll never be able to duplicate the feeling of a good Arrow Dynamics coaster....

But, If I were to predict that a coaster be removed from KD in 2013, It seems that Anaconda and Shockwave are on borrowed time. I really don't know if the powers that be (KD and Cedar Fair) want to remove anything, but I'm just saying...I wouldn't be surprised if those two rides got (imatates throat cutting) HHHHHHKKKKKKKK.

I already think the entire kids offerings KD has as being the largest on the East Coast. How much more bigger do they need to make it? The teaser graphic shown, for some odd reason, reminds me of the advert for Magnum in CP's 1989 brochure.

When I rode Shockwave back in June I didn't think it was that bad it's just that you had to be an expert in yoga in order to get in and out of the restraints.

A possibility exists that a part of the 2013 attraction may occupy the footprint currently occupied by treasure cave? In order to retheme kidzville they'd need to remove/replace virtually every one of the rides save for their dark ride & ghoster coaster as there's no more room to increase the physical size of that section of the park without going into congo...that & most of the rides have already been renamed from nick/HB to peanuts/generic themes since 2010.

I think Intimidator's middle seats are underrated. The front and the back are great, but the middle has the most (but not the strongest) and most even airtime.

Everyone will read into that teaser what they want it to be.

I just think that KD needs to refresh and expand the kid's area. The last time anything major happened was in the mid-90's ('94 or '95) when Paramount brought in Nickelodeon. There were 3 Nick related attractions [Nickelodeon name / Cedar Fair name], (Space Surfer / Snoopy's Flying Ace | Rugrat's Turnpike / Snoopy's Driving School | Slime Zone / Snoopy's Splash Dance), that were added at that time. It was about 10-11 years prior to Nick coming along that the kid's area received the last expansion in the early to mid-80's (Before Paramount - '84?).

Now, it has been 16-17 years since any major revamp of the kid's area was done. I just feel that the kids deserve a "New and Improved" area to ride and play in. Cedar Fair has done a nice job with the other Planet Snoopy areas that were expanded/revamped over the last 3-4 years. I can see KD add up to 10-12 new rides in that section. I look at the rocket as going to "Planet Snoopy".

If this goes forward as the new 2013 attraction, I wonder what existing rides Kings Dominion will keep and which they will get rid of. I can see them keeping the major attractions, (Boo Blasters, Ghoster Coaster, Snoopy's Flying Ace, Snoopy's Driving School). Maybe they will still keep Taxi jam, the kiddy bump cars, and Snoopy's Splash Dance as well. Any of the other small flat rides could be on the chopping block though. Plus, I could see Kings Dominion use the existing space in that area in a more efficient manner. There are a lot of gaps between existing attractions that could be filled in with new rides and have a better flow of the people walking around and through that area. With the picture in the previous post above, you can see that there are many open areas still available to add new rides and attractions; in addition to using the space where the existing rides are located. There is a good chunk of space between Snoopy's Flying Ace ride (ride on far left of the picture) and Snoopy's Splash Dance water play area (attraction above the large circular show amphitheater on the left side of the photo). That could hold another medium size ride or two smaller rides. I always thought Snoopy's Flying Ace ride was sort of isolated from the rest of the Kid's area.

Anyway, We shall find out in about 6 weeks from now.