TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 767: WinterFest Media Night Report

Hmmm... Must just be bad luck on my part. It's similar to Volcano with my visits. Run to it as soon as it opens otherwise the line is horrendous with single train operation. Glad to hear that they do actually run it with 2 trains.

The one time I visited Kings Dominion (ECB 2010), Avalanche started out with one train and added a second one later in the day. In fact, Dominator, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Flight of Fear were the only coasters that started with two trains (Volcano, The Blast Coaster and Intimidator 305 added second trains later as well). Perhaps that was due to the forcast of rain that day.

New - Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D.

If it weren’t for a series of cataclysmic events; a comet impact being first on the list, our planet could still be the domain of dinosaurs. Dinosaurs fascinate us so much, that many people wish they were still among us. Fortunately, Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D will be the closest we get to actually being in the presence of these extraordinary creatures.

Deeply rooted in science, this new 3D film in the Action Theatre, narrated by Donald Sutherland, carries audiences back in time to witness these amazing beasts come to life. Meet the largest living animals to have ever walked the earth: the titanesque plant-eating Argentinosaur, and its nemesis the Giganotosaur, a bipedal carnivore that could easily challenge the famous T-Rex! Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D combines CGI and live action featuring Dr. Rodolfo Coria, a world-renowned Argentinean paleontologist, visiting sites of major discoveries.

Duration: 20 minutes

Free with park admission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_2fTtGTbM

The best part... it is FREE unlike Kings Island's! WOOO! No more SpongeBob 3D!

MAJOR LEAK

http://www.kingsdominion.com/rides-attractions/ride-detail.cfm/ride_alias/WindSeeker/ride_category/Thrill-Rides

WindSeeker is a 301-foot-tall tower that spins riders nearly 30 stories above the Central Virginia Countryside. Seated in two-person swings that will allow their feet to dangle, riders slowly begin rotating in a circular motion as the swings ascend the tower. At the top, the swings reach speeds between 25-30 mph, flaring out almost 45 degrees from the tower.

WindSeeker will be joining Kings Dominion’s “300-Foot Club,” Intimidator 305, Drop Tower and the Eiffel Tower. These iconic and elite attractions help Kings Dominion stand tall above the rest as the Premier Amusement Park in the Mid-Atlantic.

Year Opene

Grove Section of the Park near Juke Box Diner

Ride Stats

Height – 301 feet

Diameter – 81 feet

Diameter with swing arms extended – 110 feet

Swing Arm Angle – 45 degrees

Seating

Number of seats – 32 two-person swings; 64 total riders

Restraint System – Individual over-the-head lap bar with interlocking seat belt

Capacity – 960 riders per hour

Speed

Rotation Speed – 25-30 mph (8 rotations per minute)

Ride Time – approximately 3 minutes

Cost

$6.5 million

Special Features

Arms are installed with an elaborate LED lighting package, which will make for a dramatic and exciting ride for riders and spectators.

On-board Audio playing 18 different music tracks during the ride

Manufacturer

Mondial, a Dutch-based ride manufacturer

I want to ride that ride someday

Wow... They installed the dampers already, right? With it being new, I thought it would be stiff and need time to break in but the seats are swaying back and forth quite a bit.

Yeah that's what I was thinking after seeing the video just a few minutes ago on facebook...seeing this has got me pumped up to ride in just 12 days but I sure hope they're not gonna be playing that "winds of change" song as part of the ride's onboard audio system.

While I do think Star Flyers definitely look and sound more thrilling, I'm glad Cedar Fair went with the WindSeeker designs. They seem much more pernament, don't look like something at your local fair, have on board audio, just overall look better and have one hell of a LED light package.

Not to mention this makes KD's skyline very impressive with 4 attractions 300+ ft. tall!

Seems like the rocking/swaying of the seat pods start as the ride decelerates and starts to lower. Maybe they need to do some adjusting on the motor controls for the carriage rotation to let it slow down more gradually. It looks like someone stepped on the "brake pedal" a little too quickly.

Now an for an abrupt 180 degree turn, does anyone know if the show content for the live entertainment is changing for this year? (I know they are keeping the same show names from 2011, just wondering if they are exactly the same music numbers/sets or have things been switched/changed up for 2012?).