TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I know I said this a long time ago somewhere on here, but if anyone ever remembers "ACE News", the year they announced this and built it partially, there was a pic on the front page that showed a different layout than what is there now. It wasn't a drawing, it was an actual pic from the park and the corkscrews I swear where in a different part where they actually spun towards the loop/tunnel. I have tried to find it numerous times but I will have to find where I kept my old ACE stuff.

I remember when Anaconda was being built throughout the 1990 season. At one point it seemed like it was in the same state of disrepair for several months, with no apparent progress being made. That'd be interesting if the ride's design plans went through an overhaul halfway through construction. I wonder if it was a case of the original coaster's design being in conflict with the planned water park.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait, there is actually going to be a safari-themed ride in Safari Village? Is that allowed? 🤣

My money, in all seriousness, is on Tiki Twirl.  CF already has a logo drawn up and everything.

He has a lot more history with Kings Dominion than just 2 years. You also forgot that Carnival and Winterfest also came in under him (I know they aren't rides, but I feel they are big improvements for

Posted Images

i remember when anaconda was being built. i went to the park with a friend, and at the time all that was there was the lift hill and the two ensuing loops. we rode Rebel Yell to get a better look, and i can still remember my friend yelling "holy crap, look, it goes UNDER the lake!"

i also remember riding it when it first opened. it must have been a saturday, because the line extended all the way through the congo back almost to Avalanche's exit. i also remember the ride being advertised as having "6 loops" and even as a kid, i thought this was BS once i saw that two of the "loops" were that lame butterfly element, and weren't even close to being legit inversions.

originally, the MCBR did not slow the train nearly as much as it does today, and i think this actually made the ride a wee bit smoother. don't get me wrong -- it was still a rough Arrow looper, but seems to me like slowing it down to a near-stop causes even more sideways banging around as it navigates those sloppy turns.

i've said it before, but if they removed those two crappy turns after the MCBR (and loosened up the brakes on the MCBR as well), anaconda would be one of the best Arrows around.

the line extended all the way through the congo back almost to Avalanche's exit.

Whoa! That's HUGE.

Anaconda was one of my first rides with inversions, so I didn't have much experience with all of the "smoother" rides. I didn't find it rough at all (I just thought it was terrifying) and didn't find it rough until I finally started riding the B&M's (Apollo's Chariot) and Intamins (Volcano), which are, as we all know, all smooth rides.

I think they can do many things with Anaconda to make it better. They could get Vekoma to get the same trains, that are on Carolina Cobra, and put them on Anaconda, or just take out the bad parts of the ride and remodel those parts (If that is even possible), They could also tear it down and sell it for scrap metal. I could think of many things that could replace it, and Hurler too. But Hurler will probably stay longer than alot of present rides..

I've always thought that the butterfly element was a backup plan. It just seems like that should have been something else.

Yeah,remember how the park touted the ride as having six inversions when in truth it only has four?I don't know what impact the proposed waterpark may have had however as they always could've put it behind rebel yell where many of it's slides are today.

Austin11KD » said this on a recent post:

I think they can do many things with Anaconda to make it better. They could get Vekoma to get the same trains, that are on Carolina Cobra, and put them on Anaconda, or just take out the bad parts of the ride and remodel those parts (If that is even possible), They could also tear it down and sell it for scrap metal. I could think of many things that could replace it, and Hurler too. But Hurler will probably stay longer than alot of present rides..

I totally agree with the first part: tear out those (insert your favorite swear word here) horse collars and put in the new and improve over the shoulder restraints that both Carowind's Carolina Cobra and Hersheypark's sindwinder has, and I'll bet the farm that ride will be smooth as silk (not to mention less painful in the old headbanging department - I mean, that is so 90's ). I like those new restraints so much, we need to call Congress and have them pass a law requiring all coasters that has those old horsecollar restraints to be replaced with the newer models.

Or how about this idea:take out the old trains and put in the new trains that has the same model trains that run on Intimidator 305? I'll bet that would take that ride to new heights.

Waht do you all think?

"I think that if you want to start dreaming, then do it on me. That's what I'm made for."

^Um, you would have to seriously remodel the Intimidator 305 style trains to fit it on a Arrow track. Vekoma and Arrow are very similar in track and train type, so a Vekoma train on an Arrow track is plausable, but an Intamin on an Arrow? I don't think that would be very good after modifications to the train's heartline and width of train to fit the new track. Just my two cents though.

I've heard that groundbreaking started around the end of October, to the beginning of this month.. I hope when I go up on I-95 for Christmas traveling, I will see 3 towers in the skyline!

.. Or at least a crane in the skyline

Do we know where the entrance is going yet? I'm still hoping for those go-karts next to Grizzly to get removed...

There was a big Dinosaurs Alive sign infront of the Go-Karts when I went last month. So I am assuming that the entrance will go in that area.

Funny how Carowinds is posting pics of their construction on facebook but so far none from KD yet.

Carowinds is posting pictures of dirt and stakes in the ground which is exactly what KD said they wouldn't do. Here is their Facebook status from 11/8/11:

The WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive! areas are well underway. They are both scheduled to open next spring. We'll post some pics when there is more to see than dirt and stakes in the ground.