TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

If anything they can fit an out & back hyper in the area south of Rebel Yell & waterworks with the station/entry plaza over by FOF.

Now if the park has plans to add a hyper be it an Intamin(as rumors now seem to indicate) or a B&M then I'm sure they have a rough idea of where in the park they want or can place it....for now we just have to get throug h09 & see just where in the park our "new" toys from GL will be located before we really start focusing on possibilities for 2010.

I heard that at one point there were plans to build the world's largest wooden coaster around that area but the park decided against it due to maintenance costs (not sure of the reliability of that tidbit anyway).

KD back in the early 80s was looking at building a very large wooden coaster on the same level as King Island's The Beast. Richmond's WWBT channel 12 did a report on it back then ( back when we had Richmond TV on our local cable cable..today its DC, Winchester and Baltimore ). I remember being very excited about hearing that.

Maybe it was due to maintenance cost as to why it was never built or perhaps it was the fact that from 1980 until 1982 Virginia was in a very bad recession but eitherway KD DID go on to build a wooden coaster though the plans was downsized....The Grizzly.

I remember the commercials for Grizzly back in 1982. The coaster they showed in the ad was definitely not the Grizzly. I think the coaster they showed in the ad was actually the Beast. Before they showed the coaster it featured some mountain man/Grizzly Adams-looking dude and then the camera eventually shot to a train cresting a lifthill and you heard his voice yelling, "Griiiizzlyyyyyy....!!!" as it went down the hill.

I heard that at one point there were plans to build the world's largest wooden coaster around that area but the park decided against it due to maintenance costs (not sure of the reliability of that tidbit anyway).

That actually was a plan that was being discussed quite some time ago...2001 or 2002 I believe. It was quickly ditched after Paramount saw the results of Son of Beast.

Kind of makes you wonder if it might have happened if PKI had chosen a better manufactuerer or if possibly the Intamin technology was around then.

--Robb

I think KD will use most of the land for expansion. Now that does not mean we will be walking around way back there to the south of the Rebel Yell and water park.

I can see the back part of a major coaster footprint using the southern part of the property. I would not be surprised, in the next 4 or 5 years, to see KD expand the waterpark by a couple more acres with a few more attractions.

The best bet for KD park goers to tramp on "virgin" ground. Would be the chunk of land around FOF, the Anaconda lift hill, to about the back turn-a-round of the Rebel Yell.

That actually was a plan that was being discussed quite some time ago...2001 or 2002 I believe. It was quickly ditched after Paramount saw the results of Son of Beast.

Kind of makes you wonder if it might have happened if PKI had chosen a better manufactuerer or if possibly the Intamin technology was around then.

--Robb

Yeah, I got the impression from the guy who told me (at a Subway at 1 in the morning) that the plan for the longest was for a bit more recent installation. Maybe they had plans for something like that dating back to around when Grizzly was put up. However, since the Lion Safari was in full effect back then I have no idea where they would have put it 25+ years ago.

^Then you have Superman at SFA not too far away as well.

This is why I think they might get a really big wooden coaster. That would mean an Intamin Prefab or Gravity Group though and Cedar Fair seems to really like GCI for their woodies these days. I think the park will get something big within the next 4-5 years though (if not sooner).

^Then you have Superman at SFA not too far away as well.

This is why I think they might get a really big wooden coaster. That would mean an Intamin Prefab or Gravity Group though and Cedar Fair seems to really like GCI for their woodies these days. I think the park will get something big within the next 4-5 years though (if not sooner).

I've always imagined a layout akin to EGF or MF that would differentiate the ride from the other hypers in the area.

I would love to see a GCI woodie at KD. Give it a prowler-eque theme and put it over by Congo.

I don't understand the B&M hyper rumors. It just isn't logical with BGE an hour to the south with AC.

An Intamin hyper however, would make more sense, and would be fantastic.

Well it's not like there's a rule in effect that specifically states that if one park has a specific style of coaster then other nearby parks in the area cannot have one,otherwise SFGRADV would certainly be in trouble for adding Nitro just one year after SFA added Superman.

As long as they design the layout to be totally original & unique compared to the other two hypers in the region then from a marketing standpoint they'll see an ROI on the project....don't forget both KD & SFA feature Premier LIM coasters that are EXACTLY the same save for the fact that one of them is enclosed while the other is not & yet people visiting both parks still ride them.

Redfoot: I recall seeing that ad for Grizzly during it's opening year too,of course I wasn't into coasterse back then so I couldn't readily ID the ride depicted in the ad but it probably was KI's Beast.I so wish they'd replay some of those classic ads in the park's don't you?

I remember the commercials for Grizzly back in 1982. The coaster they showed in the ad was definitely not the Grizzly. I think the coaster they showed in the ad was actually the Beast. Before they showed the coaster it featured some mountain man/Grizzly Adams-looking dude and then the camera eventually shot to a train cresting a lifthill and you heard his voice yelling, "Griiiizzlyyyyyy....!!!" as it went down the hill.

If KD did use KI's Beast for a commerical..that is kinda funny actually considering how many parks years ago used KD as a place to film their commercials.

I know there were at least two, maybe three cases where Kennywood actually fimed their ads at KD. And on top of that back in the mid 80's according to a friend of mine who used to work in Denver TV, he was telling me that even Elitch Gardens used KD as a place to film a commerical for them.

Today with Cedar Fair being in charge I doubt they would allow any park than is not owned by them to film there...well maybe if the price is right.

If they are planing something big for 2010, they will most likely start clearing trees, and other stuff, in the middle of the 09 season.

Given the construction timelines for Behemoth & Diamondback I'm thinking pretty much the same thing that we'll be seeing site clearing in the early to mid season of 09 with parts arriving during the later part of the summer season.

KD was originally slated to get one of the 2nd gen vekoma flyers for 2001 but after Stealth turned out to be such a disaster at CGA Paramount opted out of their exclusive contract for the rides & thus SFA ended up getting it in place of the standup coaster that they had already gotten approval for(along with a handful of other rides that have since never been built) back in 1999.In it's place KD got HSXLC,which was supposed to go to CGA & as we've seen proved to be every bit as lousy as the flyer would've been for the park.

The land that the Safari used to be on easily looks like they could double the size of the park if they used it all...In many many years to come...if the park is still standing after our economic plummet to hell.

It will still be standing. I hope

I'm pretty sure KD will survive but I don't think the same can easily be said for their neighbor up north in Largo MD.

I don't understand the B&M hyper rumors. It just isn't logical with BGE an hour to the south with AC.

An Intamin hyper however, would make more sense, and would be fantastic.

Well it's not like there's a rule in effect that specifically states that if one park has a specific style of coaster then other nearby parks in the area cannot have one,otherwise SFGRADV would certainly be in trouble for adding Nitro just one year after SFA added Superman.

As long as they design the layout to be totally original & unique compared to the other two hypers in the region then from a marketing standpoint they'll see an ROI on the project....don't forget both KD & SFA feature Premier LIM coasters that are EXACTLY the same save for the fact that one of them is enclosed while the other is not & yet people visiting both parks still ride them.

Redfoot: I recall seeing that ad for Grizzly during it's opening year too,of course I wasn't into coasterse back then so I couldn't readily ID the ride depicted in the ad but it probably was KI's Beast.I so wish they'd replay some of those classic ads in the park's don't you?

Of course there's no rule, but common sense would make it seem like an illogical addition all things considered, imo.

Who knows though, with the new B&M trains on Behemoth they could probably come up with a fine ride and people wouldn't even think of AC and KD's hyper as being too similar.

I wish KD had gotten a flying coaster.

SFA and Batwing are only an hour and a half or so up the road from KD...