TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Another solution, similar to the clothoid shape, could be starting the turn with a wide radius that gradually tightens as the turn progresses. This would solve the alignment argument while decreasing the amount of time intense forces are sustained, but keep in mind the first half of the second hill was also removed. The track doesn't have to line up at the bottom of the hill. The designers also have that incline to work with.

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has a lot more history with Kings Dominion than just 2 years. You also forgot that Carnival and Winterfest also came in under him (I know they aren't rides, but I feel they are big improvements for

Posted Images

According to screamscape, they are widening the turn after the drop on I305 to be able to remove the trims and cut down on wear and tear of the trains and provide for a more comfortable ride.
If only Robb could confirm this...

I was told by Intamin that I could not post the information I was given, and I'm sticking to that. All I'm going to say is this. I would imagine that if I was told NOT to post something, other people were most likely told the same. And if the information posted to Screamscape is the same as what I was told, then I'm sure Intamin would not be happy with the source as they have broken their trust. But having seeing who the "source" was (it wasn't Screamscape...they were just reporting what they saw), it does not surprise me at all they would break the trust of someone to get a "scoop."

--Robb "Relationships are for more important than being first to report something." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^But, what if it rolls back into the station? Don't you think if they already knew that painting the trims would cause them to not work, then doing it on purpose would result in negligence. That is a bigger lawsuit coming than it being by accident.

^QFT!

Robb, I wish everyone had this much integrity. It's really something to be commended.

What Guy said.

I fully didn't expect Robb to comment on what Screamscape had posted, and honestly was surprised when I read it given that Intamin made Robb swear on a stack of Bible's that he'd keep mum. Keeping his word is certainly commendable, many applause, and may many virgins be bestowed upon you.

http://www.coastercrew.net/intheloop.php?page=play&file=386

On this podcast ("In the Loop") tonight, John Pagel (Public Relations from Kings Dominion) announced that the turn is being widened, with the goal of removing the trims from the hill all together. The whole turn has been removed as of now, and no track has yet arrived.

At least it's now been announced by the park. Shame on that other group who spilled the beans when I'm sure they were told not to. But it doesn't surprise me given the source. But really, even with the trims, I thought the ride was awesome.

Oh, and I should just say it to all the people who kept bitching and complaining over this season...

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Seriously...how many times did I say "They aren't done...you'll still see changes...I'm sure you'll see another re-configuration of the trims before it's all done...just give it time...

--Robb "More people need to listen to Elissa and I..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey
I want to say the park's because that's how most construction projects work: the contractor screws up, you pay! Maybe they've worked something out, however.

Thats not how most construction projects work around here. If you contract someone to do something and they screw it up, its up to them to fix it. Thats the cause of a law suit....but in this case I have no idea. This doesn't seem like intamin screwed up at all. Its just an intense ride that the general public wasn't quite ready for.

Really, people were expecting anything different than widening the turn?

Overbank turn? Probably too radical of a reprofile. While I think one would have been cool I'm kind of glad the low-to-the-ground turn will remain in some form.