TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I went to Kings Dominion 6 times last year (so 12 visits) and the lights in FOF were the same were about the same each time I rode. They just had on a FEW green/purple/yellow lights on the floor that shined up on random pieces of track. I personally found the lights to enhance the experience because you were still in the dark for the most part, but they lit up some of the headchoppers, which made me want to duck down. The strobes are in the very beginning of the launch tunnel when you first take off.

In the times I rode it this past season, it seemed like the lights were only on when ERT happened for ECB. The only lights I noticed otherwise were the show lights others had mentioned, as I specifically remember one of my rides with the lights on thinking how cool it was to see what it was actually like in there, seeing the maintenance equipment and what not next to the walls, and the crane system they have in place towards the top.

-Gary

The green looks nice, but I have to admit I was one of the few fans of the funky, light blue with multi-colored rails paint job. I guess it wasn't generic enough for Cedar Fair

This is good news for fans of the ride, as most enthusiasts seem to be constantly predicting (and hoping for) its demise. I have to say I'm not a fan of actually riding the darn thing, but to me it just fits where it is in the park perfectly. Anaconda too. To me they just "belong" there and if it was scraped the park really wouldn't feel right to me. It's weird enough seeing that giant Intamin coaster behind Anaconda these days! And I saw a skunk while waiting to get off the ride once....which is completely irrelevant, but it isn't every day that you get to talk about Shockwave!

This is good news for fans of the ride, as most enthusiasts seem to be constantly predicting (and hoping for) its demise.

It's mostly just us hoping At ECB, KD said that Shockwave isn't going anywhere for a long time. It's one of their most reliable rides. Plus, it's on such a small plot of land, and you're right- it just fits in there. It would feel weird without it...

And Anaconda is the first most likely to go anytime soon, I think. But that won't be for a long time because KD's got so much room to expand.

And something I want to say is how they've just boxed themselves in. I was hoping they'd put i305 a little further away from Anaconda so they could allow a pathway to go between them to reach future expansion sites. But now, we have a small amount of ways to get past there, and unless we go completely around (which would take years) I don't know what they have up there sleeves....

It's mostly just us hoping At ECB, KD said that Shockwave isn't going anywhere for a long time. It's one of their most reliable rides.

All I can is... Awesome! I waited a good 25 minutes for Shockwave is scorching hot weather, by myself, but I somehow managed to enjoy the ride! The layout is just totally lopsided and it still remains as a unique experience. It was fun, and like you said, it is reliable and definitely re-rideable in my book!

^^I wouldn't think there's anything stopping them from opening up that fence between the two and letting guests follow a path (on the same plot they took us to go backstage at ECB) back towards I305's first turnaround. It'd give everyone some great views of I305, maybe allow for an extra entrance to the waterpark from the back side of Rebel Yell, and let them expand way back into those woods!

Just read on kdfansite that Grizzly will be down till may for re-tracking,they just retracked it a couple years ago!

That's a bit of a bummer. I rode it at the end of last year and it was giving good rides. I was hoping to get a ride on it opening weekend.

Just read on kdfansite that Grizzly will be down till may for re-tracking,they just retracked it a couple years ago!

That's a bit of a bummer. I rode it at the end of last year and it was giving good rides. I was hoping to get a ride on it opening weekend.

Same here,the park just doesn't feel complete without a ride on Grizz.

Had my last ride of the 2010 season on Grizz in the orange train & it wasn't quite as smooth as yellow,granted I was sitting in a wheel seat but it still could've been better.

It's disappointing that it seems every year one of the park's wooden coasters opens a month late due to retracking. Who ever plans the maintenance at Carowinds needs to show KD how it is done. Last year Carowinds had all attractions open on opening day running their maximum number of trains (which included a large rebuild on Thunder Road and track work on Hurler) while on KD's opening day the had several attractions down and several rides had missing trains.

Don't quote me but I think it's the third time it has been retracked since I've been reading coaster forums (2005). The darn thing is always being retracked. To me, it always rides the same though, so I guess if that means retracking it every 2-3 years, so be it! I don't really care, because I rarely visit KD in the spring. Sadly though it's the best wooden coaster at KD.

^Usually, from what Ive seen, when KD maintenance does a retracking on a coaster, they don't do the entire coaster, just the section that need it. Like how the tunnel section and turn needed it. I don't think KD maintenance has ever retracked an entire ride in one off season...

The 2011 Kings Dominion brochure is out!

Nice looking sht of 305,I'll be sure to snag a few on my first visit....of course I rarely use the maps to get around the park but I definitely enjoy collecting them & doing comparisons of how the park is changing over the years.

Nice looking sht of 305,I'll be sure to snag a few on my first visit....of course I rarely use the maps to get around the park but I definitely enjoy collecting them & doing comparisons of how the park is changing over the years.

Yeah, I do the same at every park I go to. I get 3 maps/brochures just to keep, Haha! But I snagged 6 KD ones yesterday!