TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ There is absolutely nothing wrong with the poll. Quit your bitching. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these types of "readers choice" polls on various subjects done all the time. Not every poll can be Mitch Hawker's poll or the oscars.

Here's an idea...if you don't like a certain poll...don't participate in it.

There. Done. Over.

Harsh. I'm not a big fan of fan voting for much of anything these days. You see situations where Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady are voted into the NBA All Star game even though they're both injured and out for the year. It's all a take it with a grain of salt situation. Still, they have their place because they're fun to participate in and polls on big name websites like About.com help attract mainstream attention to the industry and that's a good thing, right? After all, parks need more than just the enthusiasts' dollars to build ginormous coasters like i305.

A prevalent problem with coaster polls seems to be that people haven't been on all of the options. It's not like the Fans' Choice Awards with movies that are released everywhere. This poll had a coaster in China and one in UAE, I think? Not very likely that voters had been on all 5 of the listed coasters, in my opinion. I'm guessing that Robb and some other TPR members are among the few exceptions. Gauging off of a very small sample size of comments, it seemed like a sizable contingent of the Carowinds Intimidator fans in particular hadn't been on any of the other 4. But that could have just been my perception of it.

^ There is absolutely nothing wrong with the poll. Quit your bitching. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these types of "readers choice" polls on various subjects done all the time. Not every poll can be Mitch Hawker's poll or the oscars.

There. Done. Over.

Harsh. I'm not a big fan of fan voting for much of anything these days. You see situations where Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady are voted into the NBA All Star game even though they're both injured and out for the year. It's all a take it with a grain of salt situation. Still, they have their place because they're fun to participate in and polls on big name websites like About.com help attract mainstream attention to the industry and that's a good thing, right? After all, parks need more than just the enthusiasts' dollars to build ginormous coasters like i305.

A prevalent problem with coaster polls seems to be that people haven't been on all of the options. It's not like the Fans' Choice Awards with movies that are released everywhere. This poll had a coaster in China and one in UAE, I think? Not very likely that voters had been on all 5 of the listed coasters, in my opinion. I'm guessing that Robb and some other TPR members are among the few exceptions. Gauging off of a very small sample size of comments, it seemed like a sizable contingent of the Carowinds Intimidator fans in particular hadn't been on any of the other 4. But that could have just been my perception of it.

That is a very good point as well. Again, the polls are fun, it's a nice little collaberation of peoples opinions and what not, but on the whole the be it "best coaster" "best dark ride" hell "best washroom hand dryer", it's all just a matter of perception and personal opinion.

That's really all I was trying to say in my post, so I hope I hadn't offended anyone with my comments as that was never my intention.

I don't think About.com cares about the legitimacy of the polls. I think they just want to drive traffic by making the site interactive. This is NOT the presidential election. It's a poll that's there for fun and it's not a big deal if people rode them all or not.

There. Done. Over.

Harsh. I'm not a big fan of fan voting for much of anything these days. You see situations where Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady are voted into the NBA All Star game even though they're both injured and out for the year. It's all a take it with a grain of salt situation. Still, they have their place because they're fun to participate in and polls on big name websites like About.com help attract mainstream attention to the industry and that's a good thing, right?

Absolutely! And my comments are harsh, because they are true. And lately it seems the only way to get people to listen and learn is to kick them in the balls to get their attention. About.com's poll was a popularity poll and they made that very clear from day one. They weren't tried to hide that fact, they weren't trying to trick anyone, and both About.com and the parks involved encouraged their fans to vote, vote often, and tell others to vote. Remember, it's a popularity poll. And honestly, those people who were hating on TPR and giving us crap for encouraging people to vote, well, I actually found those comments flattering! If some people think we're a big enough community to actually sway a poll in one direction and they want to bitch about it, then, WOW! I'm flattered that they think that! (I personally think they are wrong, but I'm flattered nonetheless).

If there is one thing that American Idol has taught the world is that popularity polls are based on how many people can call the number as frequently as possible.

It's like I said, not every poll can be Mitch Hawker's poll. I actually think that About.com did a good job with their poll given the type it was and moderated they very professionally. I give them credit for that, and we stand behind it.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I like and respect polls like Mitch Hawks and put lots of faith in the Golden Tickets.

This poll really holds no water in my opinion. I could start a poll and create the winner based on

whomever I would trump up as the best.

Whatever the case I did ride I-305 and Skyrocket. I found both of them very good rides but its like

comparing a new Corvette to a new Hyundai Sonata.

Arguing on a message board is like finishing 1st in the special Olympics.

........Even if you finish first your still a retard.

i personally hope that TPR is able to influence all polls regardless of who is running them. I mean it would be one thing if we supported some joke of a coaster to try to screw some poll up just to prove we could, but we supported a 300 foot intamin. Enough said.

Absolutely! And my comments are harsh, because they are true. And lately it seems the only way to get people to listen and learn is to kick them in the balls to get their attention.

--Robb

true enough, although i wonder if you are projecting other peoples' criticism of TPR on to my post. i don't think you did anything wrong, and i voted for i305 anyway. i certainly didn't mean to criticize you or TPR. i honestly meant no offense and apologize for any perceived.

i was really just attempting to make the observation that doing an anonymous internet poll with an award attached to the winner is always going to generate drama (and i acknowledged that that's what about.com was going for in the first place). the poll was for fun. it bums me out when people get worked up over these things.

I found both of them very good rides but its like

comparing a new Corvette to a new Hyundai Sonata.

Arguing on a message board is like finishing 1st in the special Olympics.

........Even if you finish first your still a retard.

Best 2 sentences ever typed on a message board!!!! My insides still hurt from laughing...

I don't think About.com cares about the legitimacy of the polls. I think they just want to drive traffic by making the site interactive. This is NOT the presidential election. It's a poll that's there for fun and it's not a big deal if people rode them all or not.

Which explains why I personally don't care for these sorts of polls or the AT GT awards as the latter looks rigged what with the same coasters being on the list year after year & the fact that the parks included(cough SFNE cough) probably pay AT BIG money to ensure that a certain ride of theirs always wins.

This thread has become a bore to read lately because of all the bickering over a rather senseless poll when we could be discussing what's going on at the park in preparation for opening day...I'm much more interested in seeing how the repaint of shockwave is progressing than to hear a bunch of whiney enthusiasts complaining about a poll that has since ended & posted it's results for the world to see.

This thread has become a bore to read lately because of all the bickering over a rather senseless poll when we could be discussing what's going on at the park in preparation for opening day...I'm much more interested in seeing how the repaint of shockwave is progressing than to hear a bunch of whiney enthusiasts complaining about a poll that has since ended & posted it's results for the world to see.

Instead of bitching about it, why don't you post some interesting discussion topics then? These threads are what the members make of them. You posting bitching about people bitching about a poll isn't any better than those you are complaining about.

If you want a discuss a different topic... CHANGE THE SUBJECT.

No one is stopping you....

^Exactly.

Well, KD is currently in the process of planting new flowers in the Grove, and from what I've heard it's quite a bit of flowers. It's crazy how much this park's changed since Paramount...

How many here actually remember it from the pre Paramount era? It would be nice to see that kind of retro turnaround......I really miss the park from those times and the amount of "fun" that was all around. Maybe it is just my inner child talking, but it just seemed a lot nicer then.....

I've never ridden it and I'm sure it's good. I'm just saying... look at the competition. Do they REALLY think it deserved more votes?

totally agree. And now with the trimless version. It's just brilliant. I'm glad it won

How many here actually remember it from the pre Paramount era? It would be nice to see that kind of retro turnaround......I really miss the park from those times and the amount of "fun" that was all around. Maybe it is just my inner child talking, but it just seemed a lot nicer then.....

Would sure love to see some singing mushrooms return...

totally agree. And now with the trimless version. It's just brilliant. I'm glad it won

Comments like this just amaze me. It really goes to show how big of crybabies the locals to Kings Dominion really are. Seriously I-305 was AWESOME...TOTALLY F**KING AWESOME WITH OR WITHOUT THE TRIMS!

I'm sure a lot of it is because people in the area surrounding KD are just spoiled. I mean, they have kick ass rides an hour away at Busch Gardens. They have a great hyper coaster an hour or so away at SFA. And of course some amazing woodies and steel coasters 3-4 hours away up the east coast.

When we brought people from around the world who had never ridding Intimidator 305, never been to Kings Dominion before, most of the group thought it was one of the top 5 coasters they had ever ridden...and that was WITH the trims.

And guess who was bitching about it that day? That's right. The locals.

The bitched to each other. They bitched to me. They bitched to the park management.

They bitched so much about the trims on I-305 that I had to get up in front of the group and APOLOGIZE to the park managed for our people being babies. It was embarrassing.

Seriously. The ride is great. Stop being so spoiled and actually APPRECIATE that you guys have one of the best steel coasters IN THE FREAKING WORLD close to you.

I'd trade in well over half of the coasters at Magic Mountain if we could get a trimmed I-305 in So Cal.

--Robb "End Rant..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I305 kicked all sorts of @$$ at ECB. It was by far the best ride I have ever been on. I seriouly have never laughed as hard in my life as I did on that ride. I voted for it in the poll, I am happy that it won.

I agree Robb, the people who bitch about that ride are just annoying. They need to shut up because they really don't know how lucky they are to have a world class ride so close to them.

Every time I see a post about trims from the locals, it makes me want to extend them an invitation to come visit my local Hypercoaster. It's trimless, so it must be better, right!?

Seriously, I'd kill to ride that thing, even if I had to ride it trimmed, blindfolded, backwards, while raining and being beaten up by Mike Tyson.

I have always loved kings dominion ever since i went alot as a kid. I moved to CT and have only gone once since but im going back this summer, and i will get to ride I-305 probably at its best. Nice to know they are doing things like planting flowers! I remember i used to think the park was so trashy next to busch gardens... that was before i visited a six flags park. I will never call KD or its Waterpark anything related to the word trashy ever again in my entire life. Oh how i miss being spoiled.

I can understand the problems with a negative attitude, and in this very thread I was irresponsible with my words, which I have since tried to rectify. I don't see why someone has to be called out for being excited about the removal of the trims though. He might as well have been saying "Kudos to the park for your latest efforts in making this coaster great!".

I too, am excited for this season, I'll be there at easter!

I was furniture enough to convince my parents to take me to kings dominion this year. Although it was in the middle of june with the straps and trims, it was still by farm my favorite coaster. (out of a sad 40 some) Although I voted for Carowinds Intimidator I'm still glad to see I305 win. I hope to ride it again this year with out the trims. Ether way still an amazing coaster.

I'm sure a lot of it is because people in the area surrounding KD are just spoiled. I mean, they have kick A$$ rides an hour away at Busch Gardens. They have a great hyper coaster an hour or so away at SFA. And of course some amazing woodies and steel coasters 3-4 hours away up the east coast.

That is a hell of a selection to have. I feel pretty lucky that I have 3 decent parks within 4 hours of my place here (Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion and Carowinds), each of which has at least two awesome coasters, if not more. Being closer to Kings Dominion just gives even better variety, since you are closer to the many good parks of PA, along with Great Adventure.

I would love to just have a park like Kemah Boardwalk within a 10-30 minute drive of my place, but I will certainly take having a park with a great new B&M and one of the best Inverts.....A beautiful park with a great selection of B&Ms, great shows and good food......and a park that just opened an awesome coaster that blows many others out of the water, even if I have to drive about 3 hours each time I want to go.

-Gary