TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^I'm pretty sure the pretzel was reprofiled on Magnum, as well. Steel Phantom was also reworked into Phantom's Revenge, Drachen Fire had its first corkscrew removed a couple seasons after it opened, Batman and Robin at SFGAd had their heartline rolls removed, various old woodies have gotten modifications to their layouts during rehabs (Big Dipper, Wild One, Colossus stick out immediately). So while it's not what you could call "common practice," it's definitely happened on some major coasters before.

Intimidator 305 is my favorite steel coaster,Intimidator 232 is my fourth favorite steel coaster. I kinda feel bad for Carowinds that they won't win, but hey- guess the should've built a better coaster! Already voted for I305 and (as pathetic as this is) had friends vote for it too! I rode it the day it opened in it's original form and absolutely fell in love. I'm hoping to go back to KD this summer to ride everything I missed and reride I305, maybe it will end up being my all time favorite coaster beating Voyage?

Intimidator 305 is my favorite steel coaster,Intimidator 232 is my fourth favorite steel coaster. I kinda feel bad for Carowinds that they won't win, but hey- guess the should've built a better coaster! Already voted for I305 and (as pathetic as this is) had friends vote for it too! I rode it the day it opened in it's original form and absolutely fell in love. I'm hoping to go back to KD this summer to ride everything I missed and reride I305, maybe it will end up being my all time favorite coaster beating Voyage?

They built a coaster that didnt need 3-4 changes within a year...

They built a coaster that didnt need 3-4 changes within a year...

That's not surprising in the least bit when a company pushes the envelope so much, so frequently. In my opinion, it's worth it. I love B&M, but all they ever build are cookie-cutter rides, and rarely ever take any chances with their coasters.

These new pix look great; don't know when I'll be back to ride I305 again, but I have little doubt it will still kick serious boo-tay.

BTW, went to cast my vote for Timmy and took a look at the other nominees... what is up with that ridiculous image they've got for Kennywood's Skyrocket?

The trims really didn't do much to curb gray/blackouts, which is why I still maintain that they slowed it down because of the high maintenance costs of the ride chucking its wheels all the time. It's easy for them to claim it's for guest comfort, that way they don't have to admit that it's really chewing through wheels like ACErs at a gravy buffet. I'm sure that guest comfort was part of the reasoning, but I'll always say it was WAY more because of maintenance.

rider comfort always seemed like a weird excuse to me, since backlot stunt coaster is a greyout machine as well -- it's not fast, but that initial helix (inside the "parking garage") is so tight, it really pulls a lot of G's for an extended period.

I second that as on none of my rides on 305 produced the slightest greyout/blackout sensation & I've ridden in several different rows(including the front) with no problems but backlot does kinda mess me up in the first helix...and that's running at a far lower speed than 305.

Now I still say the extreme heat we had during the height of the 2010 season played more of a factor in wheel wear than the design of the ride layout.

^Wasn't it chucking wheels from the very beginning? Because it wasn't that hot during the spring, it was normal temperatures you could expect in this part of the country. Sure, it was HOT most of the summer, but by that time they had already added trims and the misters to spray the wheels. The trims were added long before the temperatures started soaring into the 100s on a regular basis.

He actually lost conciousness.

Are you serious!?

When I was there for ECB during the IntimidaTOUR, I greyed out every time but once that day. I rode it about 12 times because of ERT.

This was about the same story as mine. I rode probably about a dozen times, and only didn't black out maybe twice. Some were worse than others, as most times I would regain sight by the first bunny hill, but on others I wouldn't for what seemed like half-way through the ride. That being said, I had a slight cold that day, and was very tired out from walking and riding all day. Downing about 5 hotdogs and 3 beers at lunch didn't help things. I didn't black out on any other rides that day though, and hardly ever do. Intimidator is just a black out beast!