TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Cost-wise, it would be a lot cheaper for them to pour new footers than to modify the supports to stay in their current footers but be able to support an overbanked turn there instead, which will have a significantly different plan outline than the current flat turn.

so, so far 305 is getting an overbank that leads into an inline roll up the hill which is to be covered by a tunnel so no one can really know they are blacking out...

Thumbs up from me!

^Maybe they need to remove the track to make room for cranes?

I hope not...has anyone seen if the webcam is still operational? I've heard that not even Clint can get any word from the park as to what's going on but whatever it is I don't think it's a reprofiling job to simply change the layout,it's not as easy as ohh we'll stick a few footers,supports & new track up there" to reduce G-load.They have to run it through the computer simulations first.

^^It would make sense that they started work on a more permanent solution even when they decided to put the trims on the drop. That gave them quite a bit of time to do a computerized re-profile, run all the simulations they needed, and even do fabrication work to be ready for reconstruction at the end of the season.

Wow! That's quite a bit of removal and tweak that I wasn't expecting. I'm with the group that doesn't believe this is a relocation of the trims. They wouldn't need to pull apart the track to do that and relocating the trims anywhere other than after the first drop wouldn't solve the grey-out issue. My guess is that we'll continue to see a removal on through to the rides first turn and then a reworked turn put back in it's place. As others have said, maybe a MF style over-bank or even a climbing first turn exiting level with where the top of the second hill is now.

By the way it looks this is going to be great for I305. The main reason i didn't go to KD this year was because of the trim brake and I was hoping they would fix the problem in the offseason. It seems like they did not wait to get started! I hope this repair will eliminate the trims from the first drop. That drop looks to sexy to be covered up like that. haha

I've heard that not even Clint can get any word from the park as to what's going on

To be fair, do you really think it's the best idea for Clint to be bothering the park every time something happens? For Christ sakes, let the park do whatever off-season maintenance they need to do WITHOUT stupid enthusiasts bothering them every time someone at the park cuts a fart.

I see things going on ALL THE TIME at Six Flags Magic Mountain when I drive by, but I don't bother to phone them every time I see a crane by Goliath or something like that (Which I just saw on Monday or Tuesday when I drove by), because off-season maintenance...INCLUDING removing parts of a ride is TOTALLY NORMAL during the off season!

This one is just more visible than other rides because it's FREAKING HUGE.

Interesting to see what will happen. Since KD never annouced anything for 2011, maybe this is what they are doing...

EDIT: Coaster Crew onsite.

The Cedar Fair Q3 report mentioned something to the effect that KD will be getting a fireworks show comparible to Carowinds.

By the way it looks this is going to be great for I305. The main reason i didn't go to KD this year was because of the trim brake and I was hoping they would fix the problem in the offseason. It seems like they did not wait to get started! I hope this repair will eliminate the trims from the first drop. That drop looks to sexy to be covered up like that. haha

Not at all trying to knock you here (honest!) - I just find it interesting that something like a trim brake on, what seems to be in most accounts, a pretty amazing new ride kept you out of the park entirely?

To back up what Robb said, I've seen cranes and track disheveled without really noticing much. Heck, during PEAK SEASON at SFMM, Batman had cranes on one side of it (after the painting, mind you) and was missing its entire chain. Tbh, I thought nothing of it, much like I thought nothing of this, really.

The Cedar Fair Q3 report mentioned something to the effect that KD will be getting a fireworks show comparible to Carowinds.

You mean a light show like "Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular"?

Yea, I guess. I was paraphrasing.

I dont pay attention to fireworks shows and that kind of stuff. LOL

At the Bert the Conqueror taping, while we were all waiting for the taping to start, some of the park execs came in to say hello to the enthusiasts there. A comment was made that KD would be receiving "something" small for 2011 but nothing to get too excited about. An official announcement would be coming between the end of the season and the Christmas holiday.

Turns out we don't have to wait.

^Well, I'll be on the lookout for that. Personally I've always thought a WindSeeker would be a great addition to KD's flats (could try to incorporate it near Drop Zone! that'd be cool, two 300 foot towers next to each other!) I hope they consider adding one in the near future!

I've heard that not even Clint can get any word from the park as to what's going on

To be fair, do you really think it's the best idea for Clint to be bothering the park every time something happens? For Christ sakes, let the park do whatever off-season maintenance they need to do WITHOUT stupid enthusiasts bothering them every time someone at the park cuts a fart.

I see things going on ALL THE TIME at Six Flags Magic Mountain when I drive by, but I don't bother to phone them every time I see a crane by Goliath or something like that (Which I just saw on Monday or Tuesday when I drove by), because off-season maintenance...INCLUDING removing parts of a ride is TOTALLY NORMAL during the off season!

This one is just more visible than other rides because it's FREAKING HUGE.

While I don't know whether this is "totally normal" or not I will reiterate what Robb said earlier in this thread that there wasn't ample enough time to fully test the ride because of the unusual amount of snow Virginia received last winter. Couldn't this be an extension of that process? The trims may have been a stop-gap solution until this off-season. However, taking apart of this track may not amount to anything. Either way, when parts of a brand new roller coaster with its kind of of history are taken out, speculation will run rampant.

^If they weren't able to fully test the ride, I don't think they would've been allowed to open it.

+1

But im glad they didnt have time to "fully test it" cause I liked riding it in its original form. Imagine if maverick wasn't "fully tested" before they took out the heartline!

Since my last post in this thread was completely off-topic: whatever the reasons the park is doing this off-season work, I'll still be super-psyched to ride this coaster again, even if all the trims remain in place. I've only ridden it post-trimmage, and it was a FANTASTIC ride, IMHO. So don't be too bummed if nothing changes much.

^If they weren't able to fully test the ride, I don't think they would've been allowed to open it.

+1

But im glad they didnt have time to "fully test it" cause I liked riding it in its original form. Imagine if maverick wasn't "fully tested" before they took out the heartline!

Full testing includes not only computer simulations, run throughs with measurements taken, but also feedback from riders.

How many people rode i305 before it opened to the general public. I assure you it was not a big sample size. Hence it was not "fully" tested?

But how many people ride any ride before the general public? I dont know anything about anything other than if the ride wasnt fully tested enough for the state board to sign off on it wouldnt have open. Im just glad I got to ride it without the added trims...

I'm surprised they are re-profiling the hill, I thought they may have had work to do on the turn after the first drop because that was the killer for customers and the maintenance budget but it's early days and maybe they'll get to that.