TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^You mean like the one on MF? I agree...I think I would rather have an over-banked turn than what is there now, although I am sure others would disagree because it would seem too much like an MF clone.

I will be most interested in hearing what they do with this section of track. While I wish I could have ridden I-305 more than once this season, I did gray out on the first turn which freaked me out. Unfortunately, I spent the rest of the ride pondering my first and only gray-out on a roller coaster instead of actually enjoying the ride so I really don't have a problem with this new project...whatever it is! As long as it has the big drop, speed and a couple of air time hills without the gray out, I will be plenty satisfied!

Edited by Philrad71

yeah, redfoot, i always thought that an overbanked turn instead of that 270 degree helix would be a great way to put less stress on the wheels, and simultaneously bleed off enough speed that you wouldn't need the trims going into the second half of the ride. a redesign of such proportions is probably not really feasible, though, sadly.

i wonder what they could be doing. probably just adding trims to the drop on the second hill rather than the first. that'd at least be a huge improvement over the current solution, because its top speed would be restored, and we'd have the greatest first drop in coasterdom back again.

^While we are happy to have you on the site, I must remind you that per our Terms of Service, all users must utilize proper spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization at all times when posting on the forum. This post, along with others, has been without the use of proper capitalization. Please adjust your posts to fix this problem, and in the future, please read over your posts to ensure that you are following the Terms of Service entirely. This serves as a warning, so if this happens again, you may be banned.

Maybe they are adding a 30000 foot launch track to outer space and five cobra rolls and lasers and making it an inverted coaster by using the wood from the Big Dipper!

Whaaaaaaaaaa..? Five cobra rolls wouldn't be enough. The GP wants a loop, and nothing but a big loop. After all, the park caters to the people, not enthusiasts, so they are adding a 1,000 foot loop.

Honestly, I think they are relocating the trims.

Which, by the way, is perfectly fine with me.

^While we are happy to have you on the site, I must remind you that per our Terms of Service, all users must utilize proper spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization at all times when posting on the forum. This post, along with others, has been without the use of proper capitalization. Please adjust your posts to fix this problem, and in the future, please read over your posts to ensure that you are following the Terms of Service entirely. This serves as a warning, so if this happens again, you may be banned.

I think I want to marry the Terms of Service.

A few posts have mentioned moving the trims. If the trims are after the first turn doesn't that kind of defeat the point? Isn't the first turn the "grey out turn?"

I'm as lost as everyone else but don't see howmoving the trims to after the problem turn would make any sense.

I don't think they would have to remove the track in order to install trims...the first drop wasn't removed when those trims were added. I like the possibility of possible making an overbank turn in place of the flat turn which would obviously result in lower forces and I guess it could be possible all the way up to the first hill would have to be altered.

Regardless it will be very interesting to see what they are doing, but I give them props for making changes!

This is actually what I see happening. In order to alter the turn there would have to be some modifications to the second hill. This would be why they start here and work there way back to the beginning of the change. I guess in a few days or so you should be able to see just how much track they remove and begin to form a speculative hypothesis from that..

If they alter the first turn then they may choose to move the trims to the 2nd hill to make the remainder of the ride more enjoyable. There were always trims when the ride opened so...they're gunna be somewhere I think.

I'd hope that they would go back to the end of the ride. Before the first hill trims, the 'twisties' were providing insane ejector air, but people were getting beat up by the restraints (which are new awesome).

A new profiled turnaround + trimless first drop + high speed twisties + new cushy restraints = (Keep dreaming fooz...)

I'm 92% sure that the first drop always had the mounts for the trims, whereas the second hill doesn't. So in the case of the first drop, adding trims was as simple as a couple screws. In terms of the second hill, if it should be he case they are adding trims, wouldn't they need to re-engineer the pieces to accept the trims? Hence the pieces are being removed and identical pieces with mounts will be installed. Interesting though. The mystery of i305 lives on...and on...and on...

Or they could modify/weld the trim mounts to the track without removing the entire section unless the mounts are also part of the structural support of the spine of that track section. It could also be that they are mounting the trims to this section of track and it is easier for them to install them on the track section 'out of the ride' and allows them to place the trims more accurately.

Don't know, this is very interesting, it's funny, ever since this ride opened they just can't leave it alone. What's next?