TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Weird. You are the first person I've ever heard complain about head banging. Every time I ride Volcano I find it to be VERY smooth.

Same. Out of the 12 years its been open... I've never heard one complaint about that at all, not one! Its very smooth IMO and another Intamin success. The random launch after going around the first little turn slowly always gets my adrenaline pumping!

I have been on it a million times, and never had an issue with head banging.

As far as the soft shoulder restraints on I-305, I loved them. I think rides like maverick could benefit from them. The only issue I had with it was with my glasses. My glasses kept getting caught up when I pulled the restraint down or up over my head.

As far as the soft shoulder restraints on I-305, I loved them. I think rides like maverick could benefit from them. The only issue I had with it was with my glasses. My glasses kept getting caught up when I pulled the restraint down or up over my head.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I felt very awkward getting in and out.

I just wanted to re-quote my Facebook status from Sunday so that this message can get out there. Feel free to re-quote this as many times as you'd like!

Intimidator 305 is just as AWESOME even with the trims! Shut the f**k up you ungrateful complaining bastards!!!!

'Nuff Said!

Did anyone else get one of those last rides on Volcano last night? That thing FLIES out of the volcano when the only row with people in it is the very front. And instead of hangtime on the rolls, it feels like the ride is shoving you downwards. It was definitely a bit rougher, but it was absolutely crazy!

Rode it several times with only about 5 people - in both back and middle cars. Very cool, but the braking seemed a little rougher than normal. Same braking, but less weight to stop? Still one of my favorite.

I also experienced some slight roughness on Volcano. I'm not saying it's rough, it's not, there was just one turn (don't ask me where) that had a bit of that. I was in the front on one of those nearly empty trains if that has anything to do with it. But it's still a top 10 in my opinion.

I'd also like to defend a bit of Intimidator 305. It is my #1 steel coaster as of this writing. It was not on my first ride. Yes the trims feel a bit heavy, BUT you can't go into the ride thinking "what if" and take it as "what is." Once I rode again, going into it thinking this is a great ride, it quickly became my #1. I did not ride it previously, but I feel that it would have been most likely better now. The restraints are MUCH better than the previous ones (using my opinion of them when I rode iSpeed, Storm Runner, etc.)

I was discussing this with my guest, about the theming of the coaster. And it is a great tribute to a race car driver. The high speed turns and quickness from left to right, (even though NASCAR is only left turns). But to bring it even further to accept the trim brakes, if anyone races or played racing games, you can't go into a high speed turn at full speed, or else you'll have (most likely) understeer, crash and die. So the brakes sort of simulate the track. Go into the ride at that mindset and not a "i'm a coaster enthusiast and everything must be as fast, sharp, and airtime full as possible" and I hope your opinion of the ride will be better. I understand many of you aren't into positive Gs and quick turns, but if that is the case, then there's no reason to complain about the trims in the first place.

To end this, The East Coast Bash in my opinion was a success and I hope translates to even more. I would also like to thank the park officials if they read TPR, for literally doing everything they could to make our stay amazing.

Intimidator 305 is just as AWESOME even with the trims! Shut the f**k up you ungrateful complaining bastards!!!!

And regarding Volcano, I've found that the only sort of rough seat is the very back (and even there it's not bad).

I rode Intimidator 305 with high expectations and I was left slightly disappointed after my first ride in the morning! Don't get me wrong, it was a great great ride, but I was just a little disappointed that it wasn't quite what I thought everyone was saying it was. However, at night time, it is a whole different story. It instantly went from the disappointment of the trip to the surprise of the trip! It is a kick-ass ride once it warms up! Mix that with a bit of darkness and you have something truly insane! I absolutely loved the ride and think that anyone who wants to moan, whine and whinge about the trims needs to be shot. It is verging on being my number one coaster. So, in conclusion, SHUT UP ABOUT THE TRIMS; it's bloody fantastic.

I'd thought nobody had brought the trims up in quite some time.

Oh, I know. It's just that I have just come off the Intimidatour and thought I would voice my opinion because I was left feeling a little disappointed in the people who bashed it.

Yeesh, God forbid people have differing opinions on a ride and some aren't left thinking its the best thing since sliced bread. It seems to me 99% of people agree the ride falls some where between "quite good" to "the best ride they've ever been on"; it really doesn't seem worth getting too excited over people having a differing opinion of exactly how good a ride is.

As far as Volcano goes, the only aspect I have ever found uncomfortable/rough is occasionally the second launch and inversion out of the volcano will force my restraint down a bit too far. The restraints proximity to my nether regions plus the slight vibration and rattle the ride sometimes has can cause some discomfort... But its never been a big deal.

I don't find Volcano rough but it does shuffle, as do most Intamins. I've noticed it more and more this year than any other (new trains have some role in it?) Anyhow, the turn after the first Heartline is where it shuffles worst and the transition out of the third Heartline isn't as smooth as it used to be.

The barrel rolls are the roughest part of Volcano, in my opinion. There's almost always some headbanging there.

I wonder how Haunt is coming along, I am so excited for it! The Doll Factory sounds so eerie, and of course, good ol' Club Blood is returning!

^Wow, I forgot that I had posted the same thing earlier Sorry!

^^^I wouldn't be too sure. The only thing I find rough about Alpengeist is the turn into the mid course brake run.

I'll be going to KD again this week to see if maybe I just had a bad day on Volcano.