TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^^I think Hershey is friendlier than Kings. . . if that makes sense. I also like the layout and atmosphere of Hershey a lot better. I could go to Hershey for MORE than just rides, where as I only go to Kings for the rides.

Hershey also has The Boardwalk (included with admission), which is great for the kids if they like water parks.

KD's waterpark is free as well.

Leaving for KD day after tomorrow, I'm pretty excited for my first visit to the park. However it looks like the two days I'll be there it will be 101 degrees and 97, going by weather.com. WOW!

Gotta love Central Virginia weather!

I'll be leaving for KD next week and will be at the park on Thursday and Friday for my 3rd visit to the park this year (thanks to 305 of course...). Going by weather.com it looks like its going to be 98 and 97. KD better get the drinks ready! Of course it has to be better than my last coaster trip to Dollywood in 100 degree heat in the humid Smoky Mountains!

Leaving for KD day after tomorrow, I'm pretty excited for my first visit to the park. However it looks like the two days I'll be there it will be 101 degrees and 97, going by weather.com. WOW!

Gotta love Central Virginia weather!

I'll be leaving for KD next week and will be at the park on Thursday and Friday for my 3rd visit to the park this year (thanks to 305 of course...). Going by weather.com it looks like its going to be 98 and 97. KD better get the drinks ready! Of course it has to be better than my last coaster trip to Dollywood in 100 degree heat in the humid Smoky Mountains!

Wasn't too hot yesterday while at the park but it sure was crowded.

Well, I didn't stay in it but the motel from the outside...sheesh!

They should at least think of turning KD into a resort park like CP.

Are you referring to the Best Western next to the park? How about the campground...anyone ever stay there? I will be down there on the 16th and have debated on where we will stay. We would like stay at the campground near the park, but think it is going to be much too hot to tent camp.

I was wondering about the neighboring hotels and if they are decent for the price. Can anyone that has stayed at any of these provide me with some insight?

Thanks!

Phil

Well, I didn't stay in it but the motel from the outside...sheesh!

They should at least think of turning KD into a resort park like CP.

Are you referring to the Best Western next to the park? How about the campground...anyone ever stay there? I will be down there on the 16th and have debated on where we will stay. We would like stay at the campground near the park, but think it is going to be much too hot to tent camp.

I was wondering about the neighboring hotels and if they are decent for the price. Can anyone that has stayed at any of these provide me with some insight?

Thanks!

Phil

I stayed in the Best Western a few weeks ago. Its not a four star hotel but it is clean and very convenient. It was really nice to be able to just walk back to the hotel for a break during the day and be able to be back at the park very quickly. Also, the onsite Denny's was very nice as well as the bar connected to it.

Waking up to the sight of Dominator and I305 =

I stayed at the days inn next to the park, and I have stayed at the campground as well.

The campground is ok, but don't count on the shuttle for the park to be there on time. The days inn is nice, and they have a decent breakfast bar.

I visited Kings Dominion on Monday, and it was awesome.

Intimidator 305 is by far one of the best steel coasters that I have ever ridden, and it might just be the best coaster I have ever ridden. I love Intimidator 305.

I never got the chance to ride it before the trims were added, but even with the trims, it is an awesome coaster at 79.9 MPH - 80 MPH. I wish I could have ridden it when it went 94 MPH - 95 MPH and sometimes I even heard it hit 100 MPH or higher if the train was really heavy before the trims were added. I still blacked out even with the trims. I even grayed out with the trims, that was weird but awesome. The lift hill was awesome, very fast, and very smooth, ascent. The first drop was amazing, the trims were noticed easily, but I still got plenty of air time and plenty of float bussiness on the first drop.

I rode it five times that day, and I got dimmed vision all five times, in the same spot, in the same part of the ride. So smooth, so fast. What an awesome ride. My friends and I all grayed out. It was not just me. I was not alone. We all did awesome yeah. It was so weird but awesome.

Flight Of Fear, Dominiator, Volcano, and Drop Zone Stunt Tower, were also awesome too

What an awesome park

I love Kings Dominion Richmond Virgina and I love Dale Earnheardt Intimidator 305

Yeah

Glad you loved the park. My friend who's never gone before went and loved it as well.

One question, does Cedar Fair ever release the admissions sold/how much money they made at the end of the season?

Not sure if they release annual attendance reports but on saturday the park sure was busy.It took forever just to get out of the parking lot that night.

I stayed in the Best Western a few weeks ago. Its not a four star hotel but it is clean and very convenient. It was really nice to be able to just walk back to the hotel for a break during the day and be able to be back at the park very quickly. Also, the onsite Denny's was very nice as well as the bar connected to it.

Thanks for all the input, guys! My guess is it is going to be too hot to camp, so this might be our place - especially when they have a bar connected to a Denny's...we are so there!

Looking forward to our day at the park...E-tickets are already printed and we're almost ready to start our adventure! We're hoping to do: DelGrosso's, Lakemont, Kings Dominion and Lake Compounce, plus a wedding and a camping weekend on the Saco River in NH on this trip!

Going to Kings Dominion tomorrow and Friday! Hoping lines won't be that bad. I only have been Opening Day/Weekend and one other weekend this year, so we are doing a Thurs./Fri. trip to try to avoid some of the crowds. I usually only go once/twice a year, but 305 has convinced me to keep going back. This will be my last trip before the HAUNT! Plus, I don't think I've ever been to an amusement park/theme park on Friday the 13th!

BTW, KD has announced that they are releasing HAUNT information on Friday the 13th!