TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

This years map (w/o the words)...

We were looking towards I305's lift-hill from the Eiffel Tower; we tried to walk directly towards it, thus bringing us into the water-park. When we turned back, we saw the large "Volcano" sign to the right, figured that it was the beginning of Volcano's queue, and - since Volcano was closed that day - figured that there was no point in walking towards what we thought was the queue line. We figured we had gone too far (noting that the entrance on the map and the "entrance" in real life were not matching up), and headed back to make sure we didn't miss something.

We were kicking ourselves once we found the correct path next to "Volcano", but it still seemed to be poorly referenced on the signs and maps.

cfc

Everyone needs to stop this now. There have been enough flame wars in this thread in the past--a new one will not be tolerated.

Imbordisux, I'm sorry that you had a lousy day at Kings Dominion, and I understand many of your criticisms. But posting such a long critique of that day does invite criticism in return. You've had your say, as have others. Time to move on.

Fair enough.

redfoot12

On a different note, I finally rode I305 with the trims and the new restraints earlier tonight. I rode in the back (with TPR member U2Rox) at night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely different and not as intense but still an excellent ride. I'd still like to see if they can adjust the trims at some point to make the first hill as awesome as it was "before" but I'm not going to complain if they don't.

On a side note, my riding partner preferred Millennium Force as she wasn't a fan of the gray outs on 305.

Like Robb Alvey, I've never experienced a gray-out on a coaster, and was absolutely shocked that I experienced it twice - were the gray-outs more intense before the trims? While I didn't care for the ride as a whole, that gray-out spot was definitely a very fun "moment".

Skycoastin Steve

Every time I've gone since opening weekend they've only had one train running, but people who go more regularly might be able to shed more light on that.

It was running two on Saturday. No clue if that was the exception or the rule, though.

How have the two I305 trains been running? Are they running consistently well now, or is one/both still frequently having problems, causing them to take it off the track mid-day? Haven't heard anything recently.

They were running pretty good when I was there yesterday. Both trains were operating and had good speed. I wouldn't worry about it though, Kings Dominion will probably fix it. I don't want to think they would let the trains go into neglect.

It's going to depend on the weather but either the 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th. Ideally the 10th, but nothing is set in stone.

Plans for my trip just changed again,I plan to go on the 7th since I don't have enough cash to spare this weekend & one of my friends is out of comission for the rest of the season due to a leg injury.

Like Robb Alvey, I've never experienced a gray-out on a coaster, and was absolutely shocked that I experienced it twice - were the gray-outs more intense before the trims? While I didn't care for the ride as a whole, that gray-out spot was definitely a very fun "moment".

I only rode it once last night and I may have had a slight gray-out but it was kind of hard to tell at night. In any case, I definitely felt the gray-outs more before the trims based on this one ride.

I mean no on likes the feeling of kinda being suspended on the drop?

I actually kind of liked it when I was in the front. However when I was in the back, I wanted to declare war against the trims. I hated that I started to fly out of my seat then all of a sudden I hit the restraint. That drop must of been absolutely amazing without the trims.

Does anyone know about the new mazes and themes that they are doing for The Haunt. I saw on Kings Dominion's Twitter that there will be new mazes? Anyone have any information? Which ones are they keeping and which ones are they getting rid of? Or will they be adding on to the collection?

Does anyone know about the new mazes and themes that they are doing for The Haunt. I saw on Kings Dominion's Twitter that there will be new mazes? Anyone have any information? Which ones are they keeping and which ones are they getting rid of? Or will they be adding on to the collection?

They have not released any information yet besides the teasers on Facebook and Twitter, keep an eye out for it once you see Haunt advertisements popping up throughout the park such as the hearse in front of the park. They should/will release it sometime in August. If the rumors I have heard are true, they are turning the former KidZville Construction Company Playground building (that was once used for the chairlift) into a Haunt building, so that is one new one if the rumor is true!

They have not released any information yet besides the teasers on Facebook and Twitter, keep an eye out for it once you see Haunt advertisements popping up throughout the park such as the hearse in front of the park. They should/will release it sometime in August. If the rumors I have heard are true, they are turning the former KidZville Construction Company Playground building (that was once used for the chairlift) into a Haunt building, so that is one new one if the rumor is true!

I wish they would keep Flight of Fear open for the Haunt, rather than closing it for the small Alien Outpost. I would spend money on a tent and have Alien Outpost set up in the circular area in front of Flight of Fear. That area in front of the ride is big enough to use for an outdoor version of Alien Outpost. This way you could walk through the maze and then walk inside the building. It would create the suspense of a two part attraction. To keep the line from pouring out of the queue and blocking the exit of the outdoor maze, they would let a certain amount of people in the building at a time. But ride crews would have to work fast in order to move people in and out the building, so that the people exiting the outdoor maze could enter and ride with hardly any wait time.

How does that sound for an idea?

Wait, they close Flight of Fear for the Haunt!?

Yes, they close it for Alien Outpost. If you noticed, when you get inside the building and turn the first corner, there is a black wall there. Behind the wall is the maze that they use to run Alien Outpost with. When you first walk in, you will notice that there is a slit with a lock in the black wall. That is where they open it up and revolve part of the door to block you from walking around the maze and to the flying saucer. That way you walk through the part that they have set up using the space from the rest of the line queue in that area. The only disadvantage with Alien Outpost is that it's very quick. If you walk at a steady paste, you can walk through the maze in five minutes. Once inside the flying saucer you walk over to your left and out the emergency door, which leads you back into the exit hallway for the ride. All the other haunted houses are like a 10 minute walk through if you walk at a steady paste.

WHY FLIGHT OF FEAR SHOULD STAY OPEN:

Most people who come for The Haunt, ask why Flight of Fear closes for such a short haunted house. Not only that but a lot of people would rather ride Flight of Fear during that time of the season. Flight of Fear packs a good thrill, that people love. And to make it a bit more suspenseful, they could start TURNING(OFF) the spaghetti bowl lights, like they did last summer. It's better riding through the building in the pitch black surrounding. You can't see any of the turns until you get closer to the last part of the ride where you go into the unloading station. Not only that but it saves them a lot of electricity use when they keep the spaghetti bowl lights off. But for some reason they are keeping them on now.

I'd be happy if they just took all the Haunt stuff out of the FoF queue during the regular season.

LOL Yea I agree right there. Its funny to see sometimes though. One thing I will say is when Carowinds did an "alien" maze KD could do something like it in the woods.

I have a very good idea. Instead of closing Flight of Fear, they could close Avalanche and set up an Alien Outpost maze over there. So then when you finish the maze, they would tell you something like, "Feel free to continue the journey at (Fort Kinzel)". That happens to be the name, above the entrance of Flight of Fear. To add some spice to the ride, they could set up fog machines on the platforms in the spaghetti bowl. There are two platforms. One is where the breaks are at the top of the ride and the other is below it. With enough fog, they could cover up most of the course.

Another question? How many people would like to board Flight of Fear in a dark station. When I say dark, I mean the darkness that is seen when the station lights are cut off. I saw it when exiting the flying saucer in alien outpost. It would be freaky to have black lights set up in a dark Flight of Fear station.