TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Hurler has not aged well. It has steadily digressed into a ride that is not even worth the credit... (though not as rough as Mean Streak or SoB)

If GCI were to do a retracking at KD, I would hope that Hurler would be under the knife.

Rebel Yell has improved significantly improved under the steady work of KD's maintenance staff.

I would like to see a GCI coaster at KD but with our current attractions price tag claiming KD's coffers.

My feelings exactly on all the rides you mentioned.

I've heard/read nothing but great reviews of the new restraints, and some even say its like a whole new ride! The only issue I have read is the "hole" for your head when lowering and raising the restraint is a bit small, but James on KDFansite finds anything to complain about it seems...

Soft restraint gives a more comfortable ride without a doubt. (this means I rode it today.)

Did the "new restraints" keep you in the seat too much and loose the little airtime (hills #3 & part of #4) the ride had? I'm all for more comfort. I rode it 15 times on Father's day, and was quite beat up on Monday. I'll be back on the 4th of July weekend. Just wanted your expert opinion since you've already ridden it.

The new restraint "hugs" the rider into the seat more than the original. The restraint cannot ruin airtime. The "twisties" are even better than before! No head bang, No neck chop! They don't exist on this ride (to my knowledge). The ride is better than it ever has been. If the line hadn't been so long, I would had ridden again... You could consider it now a Jeff Johnson credit!

If you've ridden it before and liked it, get your a** back to KD and reassess your judgement!

Heading down there today,

even with the extreme heat I'll be able to stay cool at the water park.

Considering the heat, how crowded do you think the park will be?

(Both the water park and the actual park itself)

I want to ride Volcano again, but the lines are just unbearable for that.

I went down there a couple weekends ago & despite the heat(almost passed out in Shockwave's queue) the park was pretty busy.I'll be heading down there again this weekend & I hope that the new restraints are on both trains by then.

I rode it when there were no trims, when there were those little ones at the top, and then now with the full trims.. I have to say I like it with the full trims better. The restraints are great now, too

Also, do they have water-sprayers at the top of the first hill? Beause when I went over it I got splashed by something, I'm wishing it was a water sprayer and not someone's spit x_x

And airtime was just as great, too

To continue this discussion, airtime is the result of the train constraining the body from lifting out of the seat completely, and the only force one feels (other than gravity) is from the restraint holding one in the ride. So not only can the restraint not ruin airtime, it is essential for airtime to exist. I think what the original poster was more concerned about was the physical separation of butt and seat, which is a result of un-stapled-restraint airtime. Obviously if the rider is constrained tight enough to the seat, there will be no physical separation, but the force will be the same. Technically, the airtime force in a stapled-in restraint will be ever so slightly stronger than that of a loose restraint because the body travels in a slightly tighter vertical radius of curvature, increasing the centripetal force outward.

The new restraint "hugs" the rider into the seat more than the original. The restraint cannot ruin airtime. The "twisties" are even better than before! No head bang, No neck chop! They don't exist on this ride (to my knowledge). The ride is better than it ever has been. If the line hadn't been so long, I would had ridden again... You could consider it now a Jeff Johnson credit!

If you've ridden it before and liked it, get your a** back to KD and reassess your judgement!

It seems that for some people, airtime = literally lifting from the seat, whereas for other people airtime is a slang term for any negative G forces. I prefer to be literally lifted off the seat, but I realize that's not always possible, and I'm glad that "airtime" can still exist even when that doesn't happen for me.

In other news, I definitely want to ride i305 and probably always will (until I do, that is ), but it's still great to hear about improvements. I think we all want the best ride possible, it's just that we vary in our definitions of that, and of how we deal with shortcomings.

I have been on I305 pre-trims and thought it was crazy fast and "intense" but wasn't a fan of the s-curves. My girlfriend who rode with me really did not like the s-curves either and had a hard time bracing herself for them. How do the new restraints + trims compare to old restraints + no trims? Do they help you "prepare" for those intense "twisties" or are they resting so close to your neck that you really need no preparation at all?