TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I also spent a few hours at the park today. Actually bumped in cfc and introduced myself. I was able to get all the credits on my visit last year so I was really only stopping by to ride Intimidator, Dominator, and Grizzly. The park was busy but everything including Intimidator and except Volcano had lines only in the stations. I wasn't as impressed with Grizzly as I was last year, maybe it's because my one ride last year was as it was getting dark. Dominator was great as always, though it has developed a shuffle it didn't have at Geauga Lake. Took a ride on Avalanche since it was a walk-on. Fun ride you don't hear much about. Are the Mack bobsleds in Europe longer?

Anyways, on to Intimidator. My first ride was in the back seat. After sliding up into my restraint on the drop the sustained Gs during the turn caused me to nearly completely grey-out. The second hill offered a "Woah...!" moment, but I wouldn't call it airtime. The twisties didn't do much for me. The first airtime hill gave some great sustained strong airtime. The small hill after had a nice pop into the last twisty. Then I quickly learned to brace myself for the snap into the brakes as I got my only neck chop.

I also got a ride in the second row. The only difference I experienced was that the twisties were taken noticeably faster, like I actually had to brace for them. Even then, I'm not sure I liked them.

Living in Ohio and having a Cedar Point season pass, it is natural for me to compare Intimidator to Millennium Force.

Millennium Force - Intimidator

1. T-Bars - Shoulder Straps

2. Awesome First Drop - "Going Down" Sensation (I thought it sucked)

3. I grey-out from the pull-out through the the bottom of the overbank - I greyed-out through the turn

4. "Woah...!" feeling on second hill - "Woah...!" feeling on second hill

5. Generally forceless overbanks - Pointless twisties

6. Nice airtime heading off island - Good airtime hill

7. Quality pop of airtime along station - Small but nice pop into final twisty

8. One last generally forceless overbank - Final twisty

9. And into the brakes - Snap into the brakes

10. On the shores of Lake Erie - Open field

Actually very similar. But the restraints, location, and first drop cause me to put Millennium Force ahead without question.

I also did an experiment. I got a speedometer program for my Droid and on three of my rides turned it on to track my speed. Before my visit I tested its accuracy and in my pocket it matched my max speed pretty exactly. So while I rode I did the same thing. I turned it on and put it in my pocket. My three results were: 56mph, 56mph, 51mph...hmm...I'm not sure that worked quite as well as I would've hoped. I will say, my initial reaction from my first ride was, "This feels slow".

And finally, on my way out I noticed a change made to the park's display for the ride. They have modified the ride's speed to "Very Fast!!!"

So that's my opinion.

kdveryfast.jpg.f42fe3426fa8753b1674b88752b93ab7.jpg

How fast does Intimidator go? VERY FAST!!!

Just visited Kings Dominion today. Had a great day in the park overall. Drop Zone was pretty freaky and I305 was fun as well. Im not gonna post a trip report due to time constraints but I will say this to add to this conversation of which I have been following for a while. The first drop on I305 feels wrong. Very wrong. Kinda like your running with a parachute attached to you. For the second hill being only half as high as the first the train goes over it pretty slowly so I can honestly see how the ride only goes 80mph. RCDB is usually on point with their statistics so i think they got the speed right on this one even though it isn't posted. I would have loved to ridden it without the trims on the first drop that must have been heaven on earth. I really wish they tweak where they put the trims, maybe at the bottom of the second drop. For me the ride itself is fun but seriously I had way more fun on Goliath at SFoG. As for the ongoing argument I just have to say this. For those saying it now sucks without riding it go ride it and formulate your opinion afterwards. For those who have rode it before and not since it was modified don't blast those who have yet to ride it because from what the ride looks like it could have been you all rode a totally different ride and thats based off the film of the ride before the trims and after the trims/what I rode. So you are almost in the same boat. And for those who have ridden both your comments are the only ones of which carry any substance. Also for the design argument I do in part blame Intamin but at the same time they were working for Kings Dominion so they designed what the park wanted. Why didn't they just make the first turn at the bottom of the first drop have a larger radius. Sort of like Dodonpa.

Well, I can confirm that information didn't come from either Kings Dominion or Intamin. IMO, there is no other "reliable source."

--Robb

Totally agree with you, Robb...but have you tried contacting the park or Intamin to get some confirmed info?

I emailed KD about 2 weeks ago, and have yet to receive a reply.

RCDB is usually on point with their statistics so i think they got the speed right on this one even though it isn't posted.

Well, I can confirm that information didn't come from either Kings Dominion or Intamin. IMO, there is no other "reliable source."
Edited by robbalvey

I also spent a few hours at the park today. Actually bumped in cfc and introduced myself.

Nice to meet you yesterday, too. My niece Lindsay and I were on our way out (she wasn't feeling well) when we bumped into each other--but I did manage to snag the elusive Taxi Jam credit. (Not something to be proud of, but merely a fact.) Lindsay's favorite ride was Dominator, and she liked Flight of Fear , but she wasn't a big fan of Intimidator (too "intense").

Uh-oh "Very Fast!!!" has three exclamation points but I clocked the ride as only having two... That's amusing that they changed the sign and I'd bet a dollar or two that it's the park's lighthearted way of getting back at some of the whiners.

It's a shame Grizzly wasn't running up to par. I haven't ridden this season but it was great last year, especially in the areas where they did some retracking.

They're fairly reliable, but not infallible. If Robb says neither Intamin nor KD have stated the 79.5, then I kinda question where he got the info. A random guy with a radar gun?

But the park and Intamin aren't going to go out and say that "the biggest baddest most extreme ride in the region" is now traveling slightly faster than SROS up the road and Apollo's Chariot down the road after only a few weeks of operation. They won't change the "official" speed of the ride until its no longer a marquee attraction, if ever.

Sure. Whatever you say pal. Sounds like you know everything.

I'm not trying to say/sound like I know everything, but to me common sense says the park is not going to come out with a new press release to announce the "new and improved" speed of Intimidator, let alone only a brief while after opening as North America's fastest gravity powered coaster. I doubt they will ever bother to explicitly tell everyone the new, real top speed, whatever it may be; because frankly 99% of the visitors on any given day don't care. I don't know if RCDB is right or wrong, but I certainly won't be holding my breath for KD/Intamin to announce whatever the new top speed may be.

--Robb

Totally agree with you, Robb...but have you tried contacting the park or Intamin to get some confirmed info?

I emailed KD about 2 weeks ago, and have yet to receive a reply.

Have fun waiting on KD, they waited months to respond to my question about not being billed for my season pass so I'm sure they'll be right on top of that query. If they do respond, I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you it travels "VERY FAST!!!" now. What a great sign.

10 bucks says that this revolving argument about the coaster's 'true speed' lasts another 10 pages..

This thread has started to get boring just because of the endless argument over the trims....I rode twice this weekend & didn't notice any real difference on the ride save for the loss of air on the 150 foot hill.The park is gonna run the ride with the trims so we may as well stop complaining & get used to it,if you don't like the trims then don't ride the coaster how difficult is that?

I had a dream last night that I rode I305 in the front row (I have never actually ridden the ride either) and the first drop was really slow, but as soon the train was past the trims, it immediately jumped to the speed it would have been going without them. The rest was really fun with some insane ejector airtime. I think my mind did a good job of recreating the ride.

^You know you're a coaster geek when....

I really just want to go out and ride the ride. Sure it might not actually go 94mph anymore but does that mean people are going to hate the ride because it doesn't go EXACTLY 94mph? No! "omG it liEk goeS 91 anD nOw I HatE it" Then you're stupid.

Like I said before, if these trims are saving the ride from having more downtime then that's fine with me. I'd rather have an open ride that's trimmed a bit then a ride that isn't open at all. Just saying...

My mom and I made a quick weekend trip back to VA last weekend. KD was my homepark back 20 years ago. I loved I305. I'm sure that it was more instense without the trims, but the first drop was still and amazing one. I have no complaints about it. Got some great airtime, especially in the back seat. The front seat I didn't get as much, but wow, whatta a view from the front. Overall, I would have to stick I305 in my top ten.

I will be in the Virginia area on June 28 for 3 days with the family. We (my wife and two 13 years olds) want to visit both Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens. Do you think we need two days at either park, and if so which one? We are all big coaster riders. Thanks for the help.

I will be in the Virginia area on June 28 for 3 days with the family. We (my wife and two 13 years olds) want to visit both Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens. Do you think we need two days at either park, and if so which one? We are all big coaster riders. Thanks for the help.

If you go to Kings Dominion Monday the 28th, you will most definitely get all the credits and rerides in one day. Busch Gardens will be the same, no matter what day you go.

After riding both of the Intimidators I can say that it sticks I didn't get out here to ride it for opening. It's still better than it's B&M counterpart. The drop is completely neutered, but at least the turns are pretty intense. The Beemer just slams into every single one of its trim brakes and just crawls over each of its hills.

I could see maybe 2 days at KD if you wanna do the waterpark too. My last visit was 2 days over Labor Day weekend last year and that was nice because we stayed right there at the park and didn't have to "rush" our way through everything. BG always seems to be doable in 1 day, unless like KD, you wanna run down the road to Water Country USA.