TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I just want to ask again...

Has there been any official announcement from either the park or Intamin that the ride now goes 79.5MPH?

--Robb

Nope. Never has been announced.

http://rcdb.com/4520.htm

RCDB is pretty reliable, are you suggesting he just pulled the number out of thin air?

Obviously the rides not going as fast as it used to.

No better way to gain people's confidence in a number than by giving making up more precision than necessary.

Riding for the first time this weekend, it was a great ride. I was in the back and did not feel any slowing down on the drop, and still blacked out. If I hadn't known there were trims before going into the park I would not have realized there were any. After opening late with one train, the ride was down for a good 3 or 4 hours while they made repairs to both trains in the middle of the day, so it definitely is still taking a toll on the trains. It still was an amazing ride.

Still, watching the queue video made me think, all this ride really needs is a NASCAR pit crew to change the wheels every 50 laps or so, smack the hood and keep melting wheels! With how upset some people are about this, I'm sure they'd be willing to donate the money for KD to do this .

Has there been any official announcement from either the park or Intamin that the ride now goes 79.5MPH?

--Robb

RCDB is pretty reliable, are you suggesting he just pulled the number out of thin air?

Only that anyone can make a mistake--even rcdb.

As accurate as RCDB/Duane is. Where is the source? He had to get it from somewhere and as Chuck just said everyone makes mistakes. Can you prove that some random person didn't just email him something that looked legit and he put it on his website?

We all know that the ride has slowed since the addition of trims, but the official speed has never been announced. And the 79.5 seems to steep of a drop from 94.

--Robb

I am absolutely suggesting that. If RCDB didn't get it from Intamin or Kings Dominion, both of which I know have not released this number, there where did it come from? Thin air? Someone's arse? Certainly not any official source to my knowledge.

Edited by robbalvey

I am absolutely suggesting that. If RCDB didn't get it from Intamin or Kings Dominion, both of which I know have not released this number, there where did it come from? Thin air? Someone's arse? Certainly not any official source to my knowledge.

For the record, and I'm not saying that 79.5 is right or wrong, when I emailed Duane on this issue he replied back: "You've kind of answered your own question here -- I wouldn't have posted that statistic if I didn't believe it was from a reliable source or if I felt it was not accurate."

For the record, and I'm not saying that 79.5 is right or wrong, when I emailed Duane on this issue he replied back: "You've kind of answered your own question here -- I wouldn't have posted that statistic if I didn't believe it was from a reliable source or if I felt it was not accurate."

Well, I can confirm that information didn't come from either Kings Dominion or Intamin. IMO, there is no other "reliable source."

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

IMO, there is no other "reliable source."

I think its pretty reliable to OBSERVE that the ride is, in fact, going a lot slower than it originally ran. So while some of you may be waiting for your "reliable source," I'm going to continue believing the ride goes 80MPH until the park confirms otherwise. I'm not going to just assume that because the park doesn't say anything that the ride isn't going the rumored speed (I believe Magic Mountain did this with Superman for YEARS). I pretty much trust my eyes judgement, so that sounds and looks about right to me. I don't need an "official source."

Plus, I don't mind taking RCDB's word for it He's a pretty consistently good source.

--Robb

They're fairly reliable, but not infallible. If Robb says neither Intamin nor KD have stated the 79.5, then I kinda question where he got the info. A random guy with a radar gun?

I'm going to continue believing the ride goes 80MPH until the park confirms otherwise.

You go ahead and do that...the rest of us smart people will actually wait for real information instead of living in the world of make believe.

Edited by robbalvey

Well, to change the subject a little... the issues with I305's wheels reminds me of a video that showed up here on the forums a while back... some of you might remember it as the "Roller Coaster Junkie" song... The coaster in the vid is red and the wheels catch on fire when it goes too fast LOL. Here is the video for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.

*edit... I cant seem to get the video to show up... here is the link

(Warning! I may be incorrect/deceiving myself)

I visited the park yesterday, having visited a week prior, and having heard a rumor of some new wheels I decided to look, and saw two or three (on the one side visible to me) top-wheels near the front of the train (I beleive the wheels were uniform before this, though I can't be 100%) and these wheels had much thinner material, larger (and shinier) centers, and the contact material was solid gray as opposed to translucent blue.

When I rode the ride (remember, it had only been a week for me, but this could be placebo effect nonsense), the trims pulled just as hard, but the remainder of the course seemed to me to go somewhat faster, most noticably in the 150 foot and 75 foot hills, which had improved air. Last week, I felt like the train was sitting on the top of the 150 foot hill with no air, but yesterday it was actually strong floater, and the 75 foot hill is performing much better, with ejector air that has insane duration.

(speculating on my own speculation: could the trims have been the first step in testing stronger, but faster wheels? After all, I'm sure they did not want the ride to travel faster than opening day)

They're fairly reliable, but not infallible. If Robb says neither Intamin nor KD have stated the 79.5, then I kinda question where he got the info. A random guy with a radar gun?

But the park and Intamin aren't going to go out and say that "the biggest baddest most extreme ride in the region" is now traveling slightly faster than SROS up the road and Apollo's Chariot down the road after only a few weeks of operation. They won't change the "official" speed of the ride until its no longer a marquee attraction, if ever.

I may finally get up to Kings Dominion this weekend to ride 305 (still kicking myself for not going at the beginning but that's neither here nor there). I was watching some YouTube videos of it yesterday which made me even more excited. The water sprayers on the brake run are kind of funny, but at least in the videos I saw everyone on the train came back with smiles.

The point of my post was to relay a funny story. I was recently at a work function and saw a family friend who was telling me his family was going to Kings Dominion and couldn't wait to ride 305 because he'd heard it was so intense you could "black out." Long story short they loved it and were raving about it. It's kind of funny how the general public has heard about the ride's intensity. They did remark how "nobody was riding it" and that the log flume had a longer wait (it is summer so that's not too terribly out of the ordinary). I feel like a great crew may have something to do with this, but are people too intimidated to ride?

But the park and Intamin aren't going to go out and say that "the biggest baddest most extreme ride in the region" is now traveling slightly faster than SROS up the road and Apollo's Chariot down the road after only a few weeks of operation. They won't change the "official" speed of the ride until its no longer a marquee attraction, if ever.

Sure. Whatever you say pal. Sounds like you know everything.

I spent a few hours at the park today with my 11-year-old niece, and, naturally, we took a spin on Intimidator (and got stuck on the top of Dominator's lifthill for about 15 minutes). While, yes, you can really feel those trims, I don't think they hurt the ride experience all that much. You still "gray out" on the big curve after the initial drop, and the last two bunny hills now have some airtime (thanks to the trims being removed from the first bunny hill, I presume). As for the actual speed, I couldn't say, but I still think I-305 is a great ride.

I was rather amused by the "wheel wetters" in the station.

601203677_WheelWetter.jpg.6c91d98abe636827ec493d6c1375e567.jpg

Looks like the station is taking a leak on Intimidator.