TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Are the rumored new restraints the ones from the Intamin ZacSpins and Spinners?

Restraint on Insane at GronaLund

If these are the restraints, I really don't notice a big difference in riding comfort between these and those.

For those of you who haven't experienced both kinds of restraints I'm sure you're looking at them and saying "well the new fabric ones sit on your body so there won't be headbanging". I never had an issue of headbanging with either type of restraint, and some people on our Scandi Trip said they had terrible headbanging with the ones on Tornado...so I really don't see the big deal with a restraint change. Everyone's just going to bitch and moan no matter what!

I'd rather they spend the money on wheels!

The ride is less good now than it was. But it could be worse! So I'll never be caught dead saying a bad thing again - that is until it becomes acceptable (i.e. popular) to complain about the ride not being as good - which according to the Millennium Force time-table will be in about 7-8 seasons.

I agree on the restraints - I'd prefer to keep the one's they have. I'm surprised so many people, Kings Dominion regulars in particular, think they're such a great idea and will make the ride significantly better.

Edited by Capitalize

^^Yes, it looks as if the rumored new restraints are in fact the ones from that picture. The only problem I ever had with the Maverick-style restraints is neck banging, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I know shorter people had trouble with their ears getting beaten up, but I'm not short. Once again, it's just a "wait and see" situation.

caveat emptor - the headbanging (or neckbanging) I experienced on both Tornado at Bakken and i305 at Kings Dominion was caused by riding with my hands up. On both coasters when I rode again with my hands on the restraints the headbanging was neutralized. Your upper body will shift if you don't stabilize yourself on coasters with forceful "twisty and spinny" parts.

^ Thank you Larry. I can fully respect the comment from someone who has had ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with both type of restraints, and one of those experiences being I305!

^^Yes, it looks as if the rumored new restraints are in fact the ones from that picture. The only problem I ever had with the Maverick-style restraints is neck banging, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I know shorter people had trouble with their ears getting beaten up, but I'm not short. Once again, it's just a "wait and see" situation.

I can tell you that, at least from my experience, the same people who got neck banging from the Maverick style restraints still got neck banging from the fabric style ones. The restraint is still *almost* exactly the same (at least the part that your neck would bang into) but instead of being encased with that "rubbery-plastic mold" (Sorry I don't have a technical term for it), there is the fabric around it.

Have a look, it pretty much sits on your neck at about the same place as the current restraints:

neckchop.jpg.f59d0df6ecfecb2423ab018f60c6861f.jpg

Just ask anyone who rode Bakken's Tornado that had bad neck chops on it. If you have this problem with the current i305 restraints, my gut feeling is that you will most likely STILL get that with the new restraints.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^I can deal with some neck chopping. Hell, I305 and Maverick are #2 and 3 on my steel list, so that just goes to show how little it bothers me. I come to expect at least some discomfort with any OTSRs (yes, even B&M's) because of my height, so it's never a surprise when it happens.

-Steve "I blame genetics" Burant

And going off of the previous post, what exactly is there to bang your head/neck on? Does the fabric have some stiffener that makes it significantly harder than plain fabric? I can't imagine it would hurt much if it was plain fabric. But, then again I have never ridden one.

Does anyone know why the wheels cost so much? I heard new wheel for B&M coaster were thousands of dollars.

And going off of the previous post, what exactly is there to bang your head/neck on?

The metal bar that the fabric is covering. It's the exact same metal material that is under the current restraints. Just with fabric around it, and restraints that form a bit more to your body than the current restraints. It will help with "head banging", yes, but people who experience the "neck chop" will most likely still get that.

--Robb "Who doesn't have a problem at all with either version of the restraint." Alvey

Looking back, the Insane and Tornado restraints gave a bit more of a freedom feeling and would be awesome on a coaster without insane/ intense maneuvers. But, without having anything to "bang against" or solid to hold on to and brace yourself with, your head keeps going and it kind of gives a whip lash feeling, if that makes sense. That's in addition to what Larry and Robb referred to. So really, both have their pluses and minuses but dare I say it, I prefer being able to grab on and brace with the plastic restraints if the ride has any crazy maneuvers.

Personally still really looking forward to riding this. To be honest, I was really scared of riding this because of greying/ blacking out since I don't like that feeling at all. As someone who greyed/ blacked out on a Piraten (a mega-lite) around the first curve up the first hill, the anxiety has been reduced a bit. Riding it as designed would have been a really cool experience as well at least once, but not sure how much more after that if blacking out was a given. Maybe I'm not the only wuss out there?

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

I have a question that could be considered to be legitimate...

For those who have ridden with the "fabric" restraints, do they constrict your shoulders compared to the "soft-plastic" restraint the I305 currently has?

Compared to the plastic ones they constrict your shoulders, but that's a bit like saying a lazy boy chair without a footrest isn't comfortable compared to one with a footrest, the restraint it still great. Basically, the fabric ones reduce the amount your upper body moves relative to your waist. As Robb said, they will reduce head banging but not "neck snapping" since there is still a piece of metal going through the restraint.

Both restraints are equally good, and I'm not sure most people will really notice the difference...

Dave

Edited by robbalvey

Oh wow, I totally didn't realize the cloth restraints had that same metal bar under them. Makes sense now that I think about it, but it just had never crossed my mind. I had envisioned something like the straps used on the 5-point restraints on Gravity Works' Skyscraper rides.

Yeah, it's pretty much the exact same restraint. Just look at these two pictures back to back:

otsr1.jpg.147414cce358e32b074fc5785d24b736.jpgotsr2.jpg.934b87a539098a341f9362b323d74964.jpg

The main differences are the material used to cover that metal bar and that one is more V-Shaped while the other is U-shaped.

The guys hand around the fabric is a good sense of how thick that metal bar under the fabric really is.

The fabric ones do lay on you more than the fixed position ones, which is what helps with head banging, but you can see that your neck is in roughly the exact same position to get "neck chopped" on both versions.

I've ridden at least 3 different coasters with the fabric restraints and I don't find them *that* much different. But then again, I'm not one of the people who had a problem with the current style of restraints.

--Robb

Maybe we will find out the real reason behind the trims tonight. Kings Dominions John Pagel will be on In the Loop tonight. i commend the park doing this.

That is very cool of him. It will be nice to get some kind of closure on the topic, hopefully, so we can at least know what the main factor(s) going into the decision were for sure.

Okay, having read the past 20 pages of this thread, I am quite surprised at the behavior of some members. I honestly would have expected better from TPR, but then again, its not like I haven't had my own share of immature behavior here.

THAT BEING SAID: who are we to criticize what Intamin/Kings Dominion is doing? They are doing it for a reason, whether that reason be for reduced maintenance costs, increased rider comfort, or an increase in the ride's sexual appeal to badgers, we just don't freaking know! I'm not criticizing, I'm just an overly informed 16 year old kid. I am NOT a ride designer, I was NOT there during the decision to put the trims there, and most importantly, I am NOT an engineer! Do I hope to be a ride designer in the future? Yes! Definitely! But as of now I am not. If I want to question Intamin's/KD's logic, I will question it, but only so far as "Hey, why did you guys put those there instead of here or here?" as opposed to "Well they SHOULD have done it this way!" They had a valid reason for it, so they did it that way. Is it okay to wonder? Sure! It can be said that everything we know and love today has come from simply wondering "Hey, what would happen if..?" So why don't we just stop passing judgement until an Intamin designer comes to TPR and says "Yeah, we just winged it. Guess it didn't work out."

Edited by Vekoma Fan Boy

"They are doing it for a reason, whether that reason be for reduced maintenance costs, increased rider comfort, or an increase in the ride's sexual appeal to badgers, we just don't freaking know!"

I'm voting for this.

^ Reece is... apart of the general public. He is an idiot. BTW, he got his way on In The Loop a few weeks ago and insulted Clint. Clint's reaction is somewhat hilarious...

Where might we find this?!

And for the record, I'm usually against hating on people who are clearly half my age...but damn. That's pretty amazing.