TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Wouldn't it make more sense to just slow down the lift hill? I think it would considering it's going 20 miles an hour.

Probably didn't want to effect the guests per hour capacity, which I hear is pretty awesome already.

I just want to go on record to say that I'm sure a trimmed I305 is still better than most all other roller coasters in the world.

Quoted for absolute truth. I'm sure this ride is still heinous, just to a more bearable level for John and Jane Q. park goer. Not to mention the potential maintenance benefits.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just slow down the lift hill? I think it would considering it's going 20 miles an hour.

Probably didn't want to effect the guests per hour capacity, which I hear is pretty awesome already.

If there's only one block, a train can't leave the station until the other train comes off the block. It seems like the train would come rolling back in the station at the same time either way.

I somehow think that the people at Intamin and/or Kings Dominion would have already thought about that and ruled it out as an option. Unless of course you're a professional engineer that either works for or knows more than the Intamin engineers.

--Robb "I'll leave the decision making up to the experts." Alvey

To be honest, I might actually enjoy the ride better if you don't black out.

If you check the description of the video atem posted a couple pages back it says that you still grey out, so I'm not quite sure that fixing that was what KD was aiming for.

It's what they're aiming for, they just haven't gotten it yet... But if trimming the drop still causes riders to black out on the first turn, what else can you do?

I agree it seems like a sensible commercial decision, though my personal preference is for the most extreme ride possible but that's not for the majority of visitors. I'm a little disappointed but I don't know if I'll ever get back to KD anyway.

Maybe they could turn the trims off and run the coaster in extreme mode for part of the day perhaps towards close but I doubt that would be easy to do from an operations perspective and I don't think that KD would see any commercial reason for doing so anyway. Am I correct in the view that coaster enthusiasts make up a very small percentage of park visitors?

Based on the most recent video it looks like the trim makes this a top ten coaster instead of a top five coaster. It still looks like Kings Dominion's best ride and one of the best coasters out there period. It just might not be as good as it was originally. I don't see how this is a big deal. Either way, I'll find out in August, but for all I know the trims could be lessened, increased, or gone by that time.

All I know is that when watching the video of the second half of the ride I'm still amazed at how fast this thing flies through those transitions. And the last couple airtime hills still look like they deliver quite a bit of nice air. The second hill, although slower now obviously, looks to offer nice sustained air. I still want to (somehow) get to Kings Dominion to ride this beast. It still looks like an absolutely amazing ride.

I do have to say that I still can't wait to ride this thing in whenever I get a chance to get down there from PA in June or July. For a more positive outlook on things, the ride is longer now, even if only about 5 seconds or so. The rest of the ride after the 150 foot hill is probably more enjoyable as well, especially the 75 foot hill which now has more airtime from what I have read. There are also "rumors" about the ride getting new restraints over at kdfansite but I don't know how reliable that info is.

If I'm correct they can't "turn off" those trims!

Sorry Jay I probably should have explained that, I thought they have been retractable like what you see on some rocket coasters but it's all academic they'd never do it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...yes, the different colors do represent different strengths, but its not the color that matters; it's the material. You can use several different materials for magnetic brakes (eddy currents and whatnot...). I know copper and aluminum both generate eddy currents, and I think aluminum is stronger. The colors in the pictures do look like copper and aluminum.

I've watched many videos of the ride before and after trims tonight and I can say that the time it takes the train to traverse the curved top of the second hill is identical before and after. So the length of airtime doesn't look to be effected. Can't speak for the intensity though I doubt it will be that immensely different.

I've watched many videos of the ride before and after trims tonight and I can say that the time it takes the train to traverse the curved top of the second hill is identical before and after. So the length of airtime doesn't look to be effected. Can't speak for the intensity though I doubt it will be that immensely different.

Once again the 2nd hill IMO is THE biggest difference between trims and no trims. I rode 2 weeks ago and was against the bar the whole time over the arc of the hill in every seat and it is gone now. I think MF's big hill after the 1st tunnel is better than I305's 2nd in it's current state.

JEFF

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...yes, the different colors do represent different strengths, but its not the color that matters; it's the material. You can use several different materials for magnetic brakes (eddy currents and whatnot...). I know copper and aluminum both generate eddy currents, and I think aluminum is stronger. The colors in the pictures do look like copper and aluminum.

Yes, that is essentially correct, however aluminium is actually weaker because it has a higher resistivity because the strength of an eddy current is inversely proportional to the resistivity of the metal used. In a lab I did in my physics class, an aluminum plate on a pendulum would swing back and forth a couple times when swung between a pair of magnets but a copper comb would completely stop on the first pass. This is essentially the opposite of how the brakes on Intimidator 305 work (fixed fins and moving magnets (ride) versus fixed magnets and moving fins (lab)).

I believe copper is the most common material to make fins out of for roller coasters due to its low resistivity. It also seems like most fins are the right color to be copper.

I was fortunate enough to ride I305 with no trims & I have to say I felt light-headed after each of the 4x I rode it & I greyed out the first 2x I rode it. I think putting trims on it is a good move & I'm looking forward to getting back down there this summer to check it out trimmed & just to ride it again because this is my new favorite steel coaster!

I'm fine with the extra trimming. In fact, by the look of the speed of the first few curves and the OTSRs, I actually think if might make it a little less intense. Then I wouldn't have as much of a chance of greying/blacking out, so I could actually enjoy the whole ride!

And I agree with Robb, it really isn't that big of a deal; I305 definitely looks much better than a lot of non-trimmed coasters.

Clocking in with my 2 cents here

Having ridden it both untrimmed and now, trimmed, i have to say, the difference in intensity really only applies to the second hill

The extreme insane shoulders-to-the-bar airtime is no longer there, but the lack of trims on the 3rd large airtime hill does increase the intensity of the end a bit

Is it a worse ride? worse beginning than MF, Better ending, i'll miss the insane blackout into ejector wakeup it used to have if this is a "Permanent" fix, but it's still up there with the best steelies i've been on

What makes me wonder though: Why does I305 eat wheels faster than MF? One would think the speedcurves and low, intense overbanks on MF would cause similar levels of wear, no?

Perhaps the first turn isnt entirely to blame, it's the whole first fast section that may be doing it, at any rate, i still love the ride, and thats good enough for me.

Out of the 9 times I have ridden this Virginia Goliath, I have grey'd out 7 times. Imma big guy, 6' 5", 215 lbs. I was kinda surprised that it was happening in the first place. If these trims make it a more enjoyable ride I'm all for them. I won't ride until sometime next week so I won't be able to know exactly what I dealing with.

And Jeff, your account stating that the second hill is less forceful that MF saddens me. I do love MF but find the second hill quite boring.

Clint Novak, a partially reliable source, has been stating that we may be seeing the soft straps on I305 by next Friday...

By the time I ride after Memorial Day, it may be a new different beast.

After reading a lot of stories as to why the trims were added, they were mainly for the twisties later in the ride, I guess. If that's the matter, the last third of the 150' air hill could possibly be trimmed so the twisties aren't as intense, and I think could possibly, elongate the airtime experience on the hill.