TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

For a full queue is about an hour and a half. Lately I've caught it so that it's just at the door to enter the building, which is about 40 minutes.

Yikes. Hope I have the attention span for it, I just don't knowing that I305 is right next to me with a 30-minute wait

I rode I305 earlier today & I have to say it was incredible! I blacked out after the first drop & was in a daze for most of the ride before I figured out what was going on. I rode it again & then same thing happened to me. I just got on where ever & sat in the middle of the train somewhere. The third time I closed my eyes during the first drop & re-opened them at the bottom of the second hill & that worked as I didn't black out that time. I rode it one more time after that in the back seat, again closing my eyes for the first drop & opening them after the second hill. I was feeling a little light headed so I called it a day after 4x on it today & since I was moving back from Orlando to NJ & wanted to get home. I have to say though I was nervous re-riding it after that first lap because of how intense it is but I do think it is better than MF! If there is a Club TPR invite during the Intimidatour this year for some Ert on this I will definitely be there! I305 is my new #1 steel coaster BTW it was my 302nd credit!

I wonder can this test seat be promising. This pic was taken today, and was told my ride ops that they were not adding these straps to the actual trains...but who knows. It just doesn't make any good sense to add them to the test seat and not the actual trains, I guess only time will tell.

Photo credit: Chris1989 from KDFansite

What?!? This doesn't make a whole lot of since at all. The point of a test seat is to test the fit of the restraint. Kind of pointless if the test seat doesn't have the same restraint as the ride. I always wondered what happend because early in the rides construction the park openly said it would not have hard restraints but straps. This is getting weird...

The soft restrains were added this past sunday. This seems like damage control to me, showing the ride fans something we like because we may be dissapointed in the incoming trims.

I predict that this friday the ride will open with the trims and the soft straps. It's a real shame in a way, the ride was one of a kind as it was IMO the best ride in the world. Hopefully it can stay that way.

The soft restrains were added this past sunday. This seems like damage control to me, showing the ride fans something we like because we may be dissapointed in the incoming trims.

I predict that this friday the ride will open with the trims and the soft straps. It's a real shame in a way, the ride was one of a kind as it was IMO the best ride in the world. Hopefully it can stay that way.

Aaaahahahahahahahaha

I'm confused...has the test seat had that restraint since opening day, or have they just modified it? I (obviously) see no reason to modify it unless they are changing the OTSR's.

They were just changed either this past sat or sun...such a mystery.

Aaaahahahahahahahaha

Ok in my defense I had quite a fever last night and said in sensationalist terms what I thought, which came out as backwards, which is that the park had planned already to make these changes this week. By damage control I meant the act of putting the new restraints on the test car days before it would be appropriate. (as they've had the correct as of no restraints there for weeks). I know that parks don't care about enthusiasts but probably have a few staff mambers monitoring online sentiments to the park and ride, which have probably been a mix of 'it was awesome' (probably for the most part, people love the ride), 'I blacked out', 'hurt my neck', and most recently a spattering of 'wtf trims'.

If they were planning to take both steps (straps and trims), doing them at once would surely make the soft straps the first thing anyone notices (as many of their repeat customers have ridden by now and could potentially notice reduced speeds). Perhaps my post was poorly worded, but to think that the park doesent value the opinion of the thousands of guest that like the ride alredy seems dumb too.

Or you could just think I'm dumb and that the park is putting non-corresponding restraints on their test seat for no good reason at all. While the enthusiast crew couldn't affect the fate of the ride, maybe they can effect the day that someone straps a restraint to a seat. (which could come down to a decision as simple as "They're talking about the trim hardware? Ok put the new restraint on the test seat and they'll talk about that.")

Or you could think I'm dumb regardless who cares really?

Edited by Fooz

I think switching to the straps would be a good move. Usually this is what you hear at the exit "That was Awesome!, I blacked out but It hurt my neck"

Man, look at how much drama has surrounded the ride this weekend when nothing physically has been done to it.

JEFF

I honestly don't want the soft restraints. Being taller, they would rest pretty heavily on my shoulders and get rid of a lot of the sensation of airtime I experience, especially on the second hill. But whatever, they'll do what they'll do.

Saturday I got 3 rides total on 305 with all the problems.

Silver train kept going down, which would of course back up the line, then they'd stop it again and add it back on.

Looks like it's a problem with the wheels.

I got one back row, one front row and one middle ride. Front row was in the dark and was a strange experience going up the lift and those chasers, it looked like some type of movie.

Anyway when they had two trains on, I thought the line moved better than I expected. I just wish the park wasn't crowded like it was, I only got one ride on Volcano and none on Flight of Fear which had a full queue most of the day and even when I walked over there in the a.m. after getting my first ride on 305 first thing when the park opened, the queue was already out to the external door.

I can't complain though, I got at least one ride on most everything I wanted to ride except Flight of Fear. This park could do with a fast pass system though.

Oh and there isn't a trim on the hill. I think what people are seeing is how it slows at the top (I'm guessing) to disengage the catch car. A friend of mine who rode it opening weekend said it was doing that then. Only trim was that terrible one on hill 2.

with all of these wheel problems, it seems like it's MF's opening all over again. If I remember, they got larger wheels for MF, could the same be done for Intimidator 305? It looks like Intimidator 305 uses the same blue wheels that Bizarro at SFNE does and a friend who works on the ride has said that the blue wheels tend to wear down a lot faster than the older wheels. In any case, I cannot wait to ride what looks to be like the best coaster on the East Coast this summer!

As of going with Wes to ride the "almighty" 305, I loved it. The train does have an odd hesitation at the lift top it stops slightly then goes over the crest. There is NO trim at the top. The back row ride I got felt so intense and amazing. I will say the "trim" on the one hill effects perhaps like the first 3/4th the train BAD. Though if sitting in the back you atleast still get air time.

I did have the pleasure of meeting RedFoot12 and Homeboy23 rode with me on my first front row/night ride which was kick butt!

A queue question on FOF for anyone who has ridden it this year.

Last year on Labor Day weekend the inside of the building was apparently ready for Halloween. There was only one direct line from outside to the actual loading platform. Is it still the same inside or have the opened up all the switchbacks again. This could explain why there is always a line outside the building.....