TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

A FYI for anyone with small kids. They changed the min. height to 54" today. My sons and I were at the announcement and when we saw the height restriction was 48" we were estatic. 1 or 2 people from KDfansite had confirmed it was 48" but when we arrived around 6:00 today it had changed. An employee told us it just happened sometime today. Safety is #1 but from the eyes of a 7 year old who is 50" that sucks when we have been following the coaster since August. We didn't ride because he was upset so I guess my wife and I will have to get a babysitter because so far most of the reviews have sounded great.

I'm not sure who told you they changed the height restriction "today" but they are wrong. When I got to the park on Wednesday the sign read 54"

--Robb

NOTE: Any additional comments about the stickers will be deleted. We are done with that topic now. Move on.

Edited by robbalvey

I just got home from the park. Not only does this ride crap Millennium Force all over Cedar Point, it's in a league of its own. You cannot even compare the two rides because I305 just slaughters it. I absolutely love MF but the only thing that gives MF any advantage is it's slightly better drop. The rest of the ride blows it away.

The lift is extremely fast, practically a launch. You drop into the great drop and go through the flat turn which, as everyone says, is super intense. You burst up into the sustained ejector airtime hill and drop and turn into a nice ejector bump and slam into a turn and through the "twistees". I got a bit of a neck chop on the twistees but it really didn't effect the experience at all. They throw you around so much and it really goes to show that the OTSR's were necessary. Then the trimed hill. It really slows you down but all it does is make the airtime hill sustained ejector air improving it. The next hill is less amazing on the airtime but still twisty and floater. Then another even more intense twistee and into the breaks with a cool overbanked turn.

This is my #1 ride.

So this is going to beat out Bizarro at SFNE I guess. I need to get down here.

Whoever has ridden both, how would you say they compare?

It's real close...REALLY close.

Here's the thing - If you LOVE airtime (which I do) SROS (I haven't ridden Bizarro) has a lot more moments of airtime. But as far as overall speed and intensity goes, I305 beats it out.

I'm not so much normally into the speed and twisty turny parts of coasters....BUT the fact that I305 takes them as such a crazy, intense, INSANELY FAST speed makes me rate this right MUCH higher than I normally would. And don't get me wrong there is airtime...a LOT of airtime. But not as much as SROS. And certainly more than Millennium Force!

If I had to rank it (which I guess I'll have to at some point this year) I'd say it's certainly a top 5, and maybe even a top 3. I mean, at worst case scenario I see my top 5 steel being:

1. Expedition GeForce (If it's running good in July)

2. Superman Ride of Steel (Although I haven't been on it since 2008)

3. Intimidator 305 (And it might fight Walibi World's Goliath forthis spot)

4. Walibi World's Goliath

5. Insert Intamin Mega Lite Here

I think Intamin would be pretty happy with that Top 5 steel!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Robb, what would you say about the first turn versus Goliath's Death Helix, and the drop in the back versus Perilous Plunge? (If not obvious, those are the rides with the most intense moments I've been through).

In short, I305 was INSANE, but I still like Millennium better for two relatively small reasons.

1. Ride length, it's over before you know it.

2. Yes, I hate to say it, but the restraints. Definitely had some serious neck choppers on a couple rides, but this thing still comes in at #2 on my steel list WAY ahead of Maverick at #3 and X2 at #4.

I'll post a more in-depth review of the coaster after a couple more rides tomorrow and after I get back home and do my TR. MAJOR, MAJOR kudos to KD and Intamin on this beast, though. $25 million well spent!

P.S. And before anyone rips into me liking Millennium better, it's called an opinion. I won't attack you for yours, so don't attack me for mine. These are roller coasters, not life or death.

-Steve "Handing out chill pills to MF haters everywhere" Burant

^I don't think you have to worry about people hating on you for that opinion. I mean, even Robb saying that Intimidator craps all over MF, doesn't mean that MF is crap! MF is still a good ride, just personally not our type.

In short, I305 was INSANE, but I still like Millennium better for two relatively small reasons.

1. Ride length, it's over before you know it.

First time I've seen someone mention that this ride is fairly short. Shorter than Mforce by 35 seconds, shorter all the other Intamin 200 foot mega coasters as well despite still being 5000 plus feet long. I think that will be the biggest factor if it doesn't come out number one in future polls. It's a very interesting ride, substituting some of the classic parabolic hills and large skyward turns(which take more time for a train to traverse) for low altitude turns and quick transitions. We'll see if people like this forceful style.

I know I'll make no judgments before riding, how could I?

^The mix of positive and negative g's is what this ride is all about. There were definitely pops of airtime that I totally didn't expect thrown in a few places. The trim brake is most certainly necessary, too, as you would probably get killed finishing the ride at the speed that it's going when it hits that hill. I can't wait to get back there mid-day tomorrow and give it a couple more spins.

My Review or aka My Day at KD.

We got their at 9:00, got our pass's done by 9:30, and waited what seemed like forever until they let us pass the line into the park. There was a mad dash to the coaster, and I picked the shortest route thanks to a comment someone left. The wait was REALLY fast, and when I was next...I couldn't help but feel slightly scared after having seen other trains go by. My cousin commented saying it could be faster as we were waiting to be put into our seats. He still says it, but the look on his face when we got off said it all.

Let me just pause and say this...This coaster is insane! The trip up the hill took no time at all, and I failed to look around. XD The trip down didn't give me my happy feeling, but the turn sucked me down big time. The "twisties" are insanely crazy. The first twist caught me by surprise and whacked me because my body wanted to go <-- that way and the coaster was going ---> that way. The second twistie I was ready and moved with it. The speed of this coaster is nothing that I have ever experienced before. I don't have a lot of coaster experience, but that was crazy. I rode towards the front area. Not sure which cart. It all happened in a flash so I did not have time to think about anything.

The rest of the day was not so great. EVERYTHING was breaking down, even the intimadator. We did get one rebel yell once, Extremely rough in the front with barely any up time. It was fun, but the old girl seems to be slowing down some since they took the backwards train off. The Crypt was fun, but the peice in the middle was painful for my cousin. He complained while I laughed at every twist. The car boxie ride was fun. I enjoy those rides just for the swinging. We got on the triple spin after lunch. Volcano broke town twice with us, but we finally got to ride it. I enjoyed it even if it did make some odd noises. Anaconda was 15 minits to wait for, but broke down the second time around. We got on the pirate ship, and broke down on that ride. Had to wait till a guy could lower us and fix it. I got on the dominator but it was rough enough that I don't care for it anymore.

Now comes the scariest part of my day.

On my second go on the 305, we got in the singles line and waited 15-20 minits to get to the front part where we will be put into the lines. The ride broke down. They sent a train up, and instead of smooth almost nothing sounds It cha chunked almost all the way up the hill. Me and my cousin playfully joked around about it, and after a couple test runs they ran it again. I got on two cars afterward and help me god i just about pissed my pants. The lift was making noises, bouncing, and slowing randomly all the way up. The ride seemed to go ALOT faster. It may of just been my fears after the rough way up, but it was just pure scary. The first hill brought gray in front of my eyes for the first time in my life. I dosed out for a second, and than came back like "wtf?." I now know what rob said about graying out. The turns were rough, and a new noise sounded around the wheels of my car that I really did not want to hear. My cousin also greyed out, as well as the kids in front of me, and a cute Asian girl beside me who did not look like she liked coasters, yet turned out to be in love with them.

So with all that said I have a feeling that this coaster will be tuned down big time to prevent law suits, and maintenance may be an issue. With that speed, I don't want to ride a coaster with a missing bolt!

OMG, people are finally talking about the actual time length of the ride. It's high, it's pretty, it's intense, we get it. But it's SHORT and uneventful! I'm totally not impressed. This is the kind of rid you are probably going to stand 3 hours in line for, and possibly grey/black-out on?!?!?!? But if all it's going to do is zig-zag, I can do the same thing on I-95 here in south Florida, where everyone has $100,000 cars. And go FASTER and be more thrilling! I'm with the minority, the OTHER Intimidator looks way better!

Bash me now, and forever hold your pee!

Also!

I saw rob! lol. Or at least i think that was him. I was standing by a guy by the gate with a camera taking a video while waiting for my cousin. I also met a random person from here once since we all had places to go, and coasters to ride. That would be wild if i was in a video of his. XD. If anyone saw the chick with blond hair and a black shirt that says " this is what i look like when I'm ignoring you." That's me.

You are very true on that. I barely got the time to look around, and or talk to someone. It was almost too crazy. But you have to admit that they did a good job at making the coaster fast. Maybe that was all they really wanted in that coaster. Lets make one fast, and one lengthy?

This coaster, in my opinion, has redefined the standard of "hyper" coasters. The focus of Intimidator 305 is a intense ride. I know everybody has been hearing that word allot but its the best word to describe it.

And personally, this ride is hard to re-ride. I rode it twice then decided to retire to other rides in the park to get a "breather."

Just a quick update!

Backlot has had its train colors changed and doors removed.

Drop Tower's seats are now all black.

Boo Blasters on Boo Hill ( ), is a great new ride, Sally was invovled and there are some very nice new unique effects!

Anaconda had its brake run painted!

Volcano track has been painted, supports are still being worked on.

The vine covered tunnel walkway (thingamajic) unfortunally collapsed with all this snow, don't worry KD is regrowing it.

Flying Eagles has been repainted (tubs) no eagles yet though, talked with the Pagel and he said that they would be painted back on.

^^^I totally see your point, but for me personally, I'd rather have a short and awesome ride, then another freaking exactly the same B&M Hyper.

I'd rather have both. I'm glad to see my home park at Carowinds get a B&M hyper and i'm glad to see Kings Dominion get an Intamin giga. Both are getting rave reviews and appear to be EXCELLENT rides. These two new coasters will help both parks become better and more premier. I'm also glad to see Cedar Fair putting this kind of investment into new rides.

Robb, what would you say about the first turn versus Goliath's Death Helix, and the drop in the back versus Perilous Plunge? (If not obvious, those are the rides with the most intense moments I've been through).

I just don't rate coaster elements, sorry. Call me a bad coaster enthusiast or whatever, but I can compare overall coasters to one another but comparing one coaster element to another completely different coaster element (A first turn compared to a helix? huh???) and then to a water ride??? Sorry, just not my thing.

But my overall feeling? I think Goliath is one of the lamest hyper coasters ever built. And Perilous Pluge? WTF? It's a water ride. I haven't been on it since the year it opened.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

OMG, people are finally talking about the actual time length of the ride. It's high, it's pretty, it's intense, we get it. But it's SHORT and uneventful! I'm totally not impressed.

Interesting. "Short" was actually the last thing to come to my mind at all about the coaster. I really do think it packs in a LOT more in it's, well, I guess if you want to call it "shorter" ride than probably about 1,000 other coasters I've been on.

The coaster being "short" never once crossed my mind while riding it.

--Robb