TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I just got home. It's safe to say Intimidator 305 is the best coaster I've been on. Not to mention the most intense. I blacked out for the entire first turn and didn't regain sight until the top of the second hill. PTR soon.

Sorry, but I need to bump my questions .

A) Is the seating assigned?

B) How does the first turn compare to Goliath's "Death Helix?"

I've ridden Titan so after Sunday I'll try to provide somewhat of a comparison for you.

^^I'm sure they'll be doing the assigned seating when it's busy and maybe for the first season only.

And as much as I hate it as much as the next person, you gotta give them credit that they were hauling ass dispatching the ride today resulting in a shorter wait than most of the other coasters at the park!

If the crew has to assign seats to get those kind of numbers, then go for it!

When I first got there, the line was outside the queue past the car they have there. It took a total of 15-20 minutes to get on the train for my first ride. I would love to always have assigned seating if that is how fast they get people through the line.

Edit: Well if it is busy of course. If the park is empty there is no reason for assigned seating.

So it was the crew that benefited the short wait-time, not the excellent ride capacity? Or is it both.

The stickers used by Intamin trains help the gates open faster, and the cycling goes faster. The B&M stickers actually slow down the entire train.

Remember Robb is working at KD filming for the park, so KD hired Robb, and Carowinds didn't. TPR is a website, tour operator and video/production company.

Ahhh...I didn't realize they were hired by the park to do that. Awesome. I wish Carowinds would have hired them also. TPR did great work on this new coaster with their coverage.

I just want to make it clear that KD didn't as much "hire" us but we offered our video production services for the media day event.

We had three people on this job (Myself, Clint, and Will) and we all worked very hard for about two days prior to the event to make it all happen.

--Robb

My apologies for misrepresenting the awesome "work" you all did for the event.

I have been avoiding reading stuff on this coaster because I wasn't planning on making any roller coaster pilgrimage this year(mostly because I can't afford it) but I soooo want to go to King's Dominion now and I haven't been there due to the fact they didn't seem to have much I was really interested in riding(Dominator or Volcano looked cool but not enough to warrent a trip there to me). I will have to dig for some money and time now to make it there for this coaster it looks amazing!

Also I found Millie very...well beyond the first drop...boring. I even rode it twice to make sure it wasn't the weather that day or the fact it had been down most of the days before I had visited. Thankfully this sounds like what I was expecting on Millie.

A FYI for anyone with small kids. They changed the min. height to 54" today. My sons and I were at the announcement and when we saw the height restriction was 48" we were estatic. 1 or 2 people from KDfansite had confirmed it was 48" but when we arrived around 6:00 today it had changed. An employee told us it just happened sometime today. Safety is #1 but from the eyes of a 7 year old who is 50" that sucks when we have been following the coaster since August. We didn't ride because he was upset so I guess my wife and I will have to get a babysitter because so far most of the reviews have sounded great.

I305 is nothing but boring. Everyone that has not ridden cannot understand to intensity. Unexplainable.

About the blacking out. My first ride I rode row 15 and did not black out. It was so incredible. My second ride, I had a three second "greying" moment in the front row, it was nothing serious in my opinion though I believe alot of the GP might complain.

The ride is not rough, those "little" bump-hills, gives some amazing airtime. And the OTSR are very necessary.

O, did I mention the cable lift is scary fast!

This ride looks AMAZING i can't believe all the good reviews and coverage this looks like it may be in the runnings for one of the best steel coasters in the country!!! Buh Bye Millennium Forceless!!

I neglect to see how comparing, and proving, that the noses of the Intimidator coaster trains are nearly identical makes anyone a pathetic Carowinds fanboy. Either way, I'm not influenced by the opinions of others, and its such a lame complaint for 2 such cool rides. I think both of the trains look awesome with the stickers and logos!

The front of the train/stickers look almost the same to me also.

That's because they pretty much are.

Even the stickers are identical as the same brands are in the same layout!

I305 is nothing but boring. Everyone that has not ridden cannot understand to intensity. Unexplainable.

About the blacking out. My first ride I rode row 15 and did not black out. It was so incredible. My second ride, I had a three second "greying" moment in the front row, it was nothing serious in my opinion though I believe alot of the GP might complain.

The ride is not rough, those "little" bump-hills, gives some amazing airtime. And the OTSR are very necessary.

It's boring? I kid.

Edited by lilj4425

A FYI for anyone with small kids. They changed the min. height to 54" today. My sons and I were at the announcement and when we saw the height restriction was 48" we were estatic. 1 or 2 people from KDfansite had confirmed it was 48" but when we arrived around 6:00 today it had changed. An employee told us it just happened sometime today. Safety is #1 but from the eyes of a 7 year old who is 50" that sucks when we have been following the coaster since August. We didn't ride because he was upset so I guess my wife and I will have to get a babysitter because so far most of the reviews have sounded great.

Oh man, yeah that is a bummer.

On the positive side though it probably means the ride is pretty damn good! Since Millennium Force DROPPED its height restriction after opening, and this one raised it!

Hopefully raising the height restriction will keep them from tinkering with the actual ride too much to tone down the intensity.

^^OMG, are we still talking about the stickers!?!?!? If you read anything of what we were talking about we all pretty much unanimously agreed that it's not the stickers it's the way the entire train looks. The stickers on the B&M Train don't work, the stickers on the Intamin train DO!

^I don't think he's saying it's boring, I think he's just a really bad poster and bad at English!

Millenium Force is nothing but boring. Everyone that has not ridden cannot understand to intensity. Unexplainable.

Fixed . And don't you mean, everything but boring?

I was at KD all day today, and yes they were assigning seating, but if you asked for a specific seat they gave it to you (or at least they did for me). I rode it 5 times, once back, once front, and the 3 other times in the middle and all were AMAZING. Definitely a new top 3 coaster for me. The wait time never went above 30 minutes, even in the beginning of the day running of the Bulls. The crew was hauling the people through at an amazing pace. This was a BIG difference from last year at KI for the opening of Diamondback when i waited 3 hours.

The only issue i see with this ride was that it shows up the capacity of every other ride in the park. The only other coaster i rode was Dominator which had over an hour wait (only running 2 trains). My friends rode Volcano which had a 2 hour wait (only running one train) and Flight of Fear with an Hour and a Half wait (also only running one train). It also seemed that all the food services in the park had abysmal wait times, and half of them weren't even open.

Overall i was VERY impressed with I305, but KD did not do a great job showing off the rest of the park.

I'm gonna make this short and sweet.

I really had no expectations for this ride, and I got absolutely blown out of my socks. Our daytime ride in the front was incredible, but our night ride, at 8:45pm, in the back row, in the complete pitch dark was beyond description. I'm still shaking from that ride.

The first drop is amazing, and that turn after is extremely intense. The rest of the ride is filled with incredible direction-changes that do NOT hurt. The air is insane, and frankly...I really have no words.

That ride at night is nearly unmatched, and I'm very, very close to putting it at my #1 overall over Voyage, which I thought was impossible for anything to ever top.

Unbelievable.