TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm personally stoked that this ride has more of a twister layout than MF. I liked MF...didn't really love it. I know airtime isnt the only thing that defines a ride, but it also has alot of stretched out transitions. i305 looks to have more sharper directional changes and I can't wait til June so I can check this out for myself

Even though the ride doesn't go upside down, there might be that it needs OTSR anyway. It got some serious fast transitions there, and the only ride we've seen with these kind of turns is Maverick. And Maverick have OTSR. It might be that they need to keep your upper body kind of stable because of the serious roll rate in these turns. Yeah the mega lites have some fast transitions too, but they don't have this specific type of ultra fast Maverick style turns. They are more mini EGF type hills, that deliver a completely different motion.

I just think there might be more behind this than what we think. After all, the engineers behind this has worked quite a lot of hours on this ride Anyway, I think the ride is gonna be insane. Just that drop is reason enough for me. I look at the rest of the ride as a bonus!

Even though the ride doesn't go upside down, there might be that it needs OTSR anyway.

None of us are qualified to say whether or not this or any other ride "needs" OTSR's. Unless one of us here is a ride engineer with decades of experience who is getting paid millions of dollars to figure this stuff out.

The companies that build these rides actually do have experience in the field. How many here can say the same?

If you ever want ones of those "GEEK-OUT Drives like the one on the Ceder Point Causeway" then go to Kings Dominion from the East instead of the west and I-95. Riding down State Route 30 you crest a hill above the The Meadows (New State Fair Grounds) and you get the full KD Skyline (I305, Anaconda, Dominator, Eiffel Tower and Drop Tower). It's really epic and a great way to get hype up for a day in the park. The first time I saw I-305 on the Skyline in December of 2009, It look unreal! I can't wait to ride this thing in 12 days!

Spring is here and I'm getting out of winter hibernation mode. This means more frivolous/puff posts on roller coaster forums and fewer ones on college basketball forums (which may be a good thing since my team sucked and didn't even make the NCAA tourney).

Anyway, I need to get in roller coaster mood (and shape) and I'll definitely be making the 20-minute drive up to KD in either April or May. On my way up to Fredericksburg for work I've made a few stop-ins to look at progress on I305 the past 5 months and frankly couldn't discern much except for when they topped off. Restraints or no restraints, I'm riding this thing and nobody can stop me. (Unless of course, I'm too fat to ride).

^^The funny thing is, this part you are mainly excited for, is the part I am mainly not. lol

Agreed, and worst of all those crazy transitions make it sooooo hard for me to ever even consider a no limits recreation, lol. Seriously, it will be a fine ride, people like Millenium Force, just have fun and go ride I 305, a coaster does not need to be the best in the world to be a lot of fun. I rode X2 last night, not even in my top ten, yet all of my friends number one ride, I still love/loved it. My point being it will be fun regardless.

I can't believe we've spent all last fall and the entire off season talking about it when the trains in the animation look like the trains on the tracks.

Hopefully all the nonsense about the restraints will die down once the coaster opens up next week.

drove by last night (from work) and the lift hill has red lights on the lift just like Dominator. could not tell if they were tracing or not.

looked cool at night though

JEFF

That sounds pretty cool! I can't wait for night rides on this beast! Imagine how more amazing it would be if tons of trees grew around the ride!

Im getting pretty excited about this. I'm going to Kings Dominion twice this year, so hopefully I'll be able to get a good couple of rides on it. My biggest question is if they'll be able to hit all 1,350 riders per hour with just two trains. Looking forward to this!

-Justin

If you go to KD's facebook page you can see a couple of photos from the top of the lift. And the same guy claims that the ride was clocked at doing 96MPH.

It's probably the same jackass that's been doing that on KDFansite. He's a moron. He doesn't realize the laws of physics prevent such speed from occurring. At one point he claimed it was hitting 102 mph, which you would need a 330+ foot free fall to hit.

There is no way it could be faster than Millennium Force.

Why not?

Both drops are the exact same height, and I305's drop is five degrees steeper than Millennium Force's, meaning less friction between the wheels and the track...suggesting that this coaster should be even faster than MF, right?

Besides the initial statistics released to the press, I don't understand why it would be *impossible* for this to be the faster ride. Of course, that doesn't mean it is; I honestly have no idea. Just going with my logic (which, frankly, isn't all that good at times ).