TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I still wonder what KD is up to with these random (Dale Earnhardt-unrelated) stock cars.

The options:

1 - They are the drivers that are being intimidated.

2 - All cars will be repainted to look like Dale's.

3 - Someone messed up the theming.

While it may look real, if you look closely there's a peg sticking out of the headrest opposite to where the Intamin restraint stems out. My guess is that peg is for the shoulder straps and that they are still yet to be installed, other than that It's pretty intriguing to see the restraints like that. Let the discussing commence

Exactly what I said. Why would the restraint be unattached? Is it because it hasn't arrived, or is it because they're still teasing us with the possibilities of a solid OSTR versus the shoulder straps, who knows.

EDIT: ^ Removing them prior to rigging the test for the pull-through sounds legit; however, why would the straps be removed on the other cars?

I still wonder what KD is up to with these random (Dale Earnhardt-unrelated) stock cars.

They kept them around after use with Days of Thunder; probably figured some time down the road they could do something with them. Maybe didn't think it would be this many years, but it all worked out. If you check out pretty much any parks graveyard/storage areas you'll find all kinds of random old equipment and junk laying around.

For comparison, here is Pilgrim's Plunge at HW (since there were questions as to if the rides would have similar restraints).

As you can see on the left side, the metallic bar is sticking out of the other side a short distance. Its hard to tell how the distance's compare because of the difference in perspectives, though.

And for further comparison...

Here we have Tornado, slightly further distance allowing the shoulder straps.

Basically I think we will have to wait til Saturday when someone at the ACE event will bring it up more than likely. Anyone familiar with Tornado at Bakken know if they added the straps to the trains at the park? Seems very peculiar...

And once more because I'm spending way too much time on google image search to better understand how intamin and the parks normally do these things...

Maverick had its restraints in place during its pull through.

OK, last one for now, I promise...

Bakken's tornado came all wrapped up with the shoulder straps in place.

So it would be an interesting first as far as I can tell if more restraints are added at the park. Definitely not ruling it out - but historically it doesn't seem to happen.

^ That's a good point I was considering last night before going to sleep.

A topic of interest lately has been the height restriction for this ride. Perhaps they are going to test it without OTSRs to see how the forces effect riders and what the restrictions on height/weight can be with only the lap bar... Time will tell.