TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I have no idea this thread is such a comedic version of how it started though. I seriously laugh when ever a park gets a ride. All the fan boys crawl of of the wood work. They defend against every single comment against the park like a civil war just broke out.Honestly its hilarious . You say "there are far to many trash cans" and they launch back with a scud missile "your park has the same amount minus ONE!" . A great ride is announced and we all either hear the praise or bashing or whining!. When its whining, we hear it for a long couple months then the fan boys automatically shut up after they realize the ride is great. OR in far more cases I see this happen. Park announces ride, fan boys cheer its praise..then we come to find "mediocre" reviews after the ride opens. I find it far too comedic. Its like when SFGADV opened Kingda ka...so many people ranted and raved "OMG best coaster ever" just cause they took the height record by a mere size of a house or less. Then a year passes and we don't hear its praise anymore, we hear more people talk of Top thrill Dragster.

I like this ride and reserve judgment. The one thing I won't do before riding it is say "Oh my god...that turns gonna be amazing" I mean seriously it looks quality. To me though its as good as any other new ride. This one though is like that of a Mega-Lite on steroids.

I also must say I do not mean to offend anybody with the message I posted here.

Honestly to me though Fan boys and their local parks are just like Mcdonald's and fatty greasy crap loaded burgers , "I'm lovin it!"

^ Surprisingly, I have not heard as much criticism of the ride as I expected originally. To me, I305 has some flaws that many people don't mention. I know a few people who already are decided that the ride will be awful, but I know a lot of people that have already decided the ride will be the best in the world. I don't believe animations of any new coaster can accurately portray the ride experience, but I have went down to Kings Dominion since I305's track was completed, and it looks great. Bottom line, more people have already feel in love with I305 then I was expecting when I first heard all of the details of the ride. I think from the limited resources we have to judge the ride on, it has some great elements, it has some not-so good elements, but ultimately I really am not going to have a full fledged opinion of I305 until April 2nd.

If you were referring to me as a fanboy, its understandable due to my username, but I actually prefer Cedar Point or Six Flags Great Adventure to Kings Dominion any day. It's just that living in Northern Virginia, I visit KD a lot more than other parks like Cedar Point or Six Flags Great Adventure. Hope that clears everything up.

If you were referring to me as a fanboy, its understandable due to my username, but I actually prefer Cedar Point or Six Flags Great Adventure to Kings Dominion any day. It's just that living in Northern Virginia, I visit KD a lot more than other parks like Cedar Point or Six Flags Great Adventure. Hope that clears everything up.

I don't try to bail out a sinking ship, I just look past the leaks...

KD is nowhere near prefect and we all (should) know it.

The Charity Auction for Intimidator 305 is Up and Running...

Are you ready to be the first to thunder along the track at over 92mph on the tallest and fastest coaster of its type on the East Coast? Intimidator™305 opens to the public on Friday April 2, 2010, and you could be the first to ride this mammoth steel Giga-coaster by participating in the Intimidator™305 First Rider Charity Auction.

Kings Dominion has partnered with the Dale Earnhardt Foundation, Make-a-Wish Foundation® of Greater Virginia, Challenge Discovery Projects Inc. (Richmond) and the USO Hampton Roads to hold the first rider auction benefitting our local communities. Starting now until the auction closes at 11:59pm on Thursday March 25, bid on your chance to win a seat on one of the first four (4) trains released on opening day.

Proceeds will go to the Dale Earnhardt Foundation, Make-a-Wish Foundation® of Greater Virginia, Challenge Discovery Projects Inc. (Richmond) and the USO of Hampton Roads.

The mission of the Dale Earnhardt Foundation is to "Continue The Legend™" and legacy of Dale Earnhardt through charitable programs and grants that sustain his life long commitment to children, education and environmental/wildlife preservation.

Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Greater Virginia grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.

Challenge Discovery Projects Inc. is a local Richmond non-profit that works to improve the quality of life and livelihood of at-risk youth and families in Greater Richmond. "Say It With Heart" is Challenge Discovery Projects' bullying prevention program that places trained professionals in several Richmond elementary and middle schools where they teach non-violent interpersonal skills to students, teachers and parents.

The USO's mission is to enhance the quality of life of the U.S Armed Forces personnel and their families worldwide and to create a cooperative relationship between U.S. Military communities and involved or supporting civilian communities.

Bidding Rules:

All bids must be secured using a valid credit card. The card itself will not be billed until the end of the auction once the winners have been determined.

The bidding will begin at $100.00 per seat (winning bids will receive one seat on one of Intimidator™305's first four trains during the opening day ceremony, two (2) Regular Single Day admission tickets ($113.98 value) for April 2, 2010 and one commemorative prize pack).

Winners will receive a confirmation email from Kings Dominion on Monday, March 29, 2010 upon auction closing if they have won.

Seats will be chosen by each winner based on the amount of the winning bid and the seating availability on the day of the event. The highest bidder will have first choice, the second highest bidder second choice and so on. Please check the "See the Bids" page to determine where you rank in the auction.

Winners have the option to update their bid at any time, before the auction period closes, to improve their seat selection order by simply going to the "Update your Bid" page.

Winners must be available to check-in at 9:00am on Friday, April 2, 2010 for the first ride. Those that arrive late could lose their seat choice and eligibility.

Intimidator™305's first ride will depart at 10am.

For corporate sponsorship bidding, please email John.Pagel@kingsdominion.com

Official Intimidator 305 site | First Ride Charity Auction

Thats pretty neat that its going to charity. No way I'd bid, but still kind of neat.

I'll be fine with showing up Saturday, getting my pass processed, and waiting 3-4 hours for a ride.

On the topic of passes - anyone order one online this off season? I bought mine back in November and have yet to get billed for it. I got the PDF's of the tickets and the receipt but nothing yet actually charging me for them. Do they normally wait until closer to the season to bill people?

Thats pretty neat that its going to charity. No way I'd bid, but still kind of neat.

I'll be fine with showing up Saturday, getting my pass processed, and waiting 3-4 hours for a ride.

On the topic of passes - anyone order one online this off season? I bought mine back in November and have yet to get billed for it. I got the PDF's of the tickets and the receipt but nothing yet actually charging me for them. Do they normally wait until closer to the season to bill people?

You'll be billed on March 1st.

I purchased my pass around Christmas last year and they didn't bill me until March 1.

I'm thinking about heading out for opening weekend, but have never been to a coaster for opening weekend. Seeing is how I live in Colorado and this ride/park is a few miles away, I want to ask what everything thinks about heading out for a coasters opening.

Would you suggest waiting a weekend of two, just to make sure I make it? I don't have any of the credits and this coaster would be the main reason to head out there, so is it worth buying a plane ticket and leaving it to chance?

Have you ever been in my shows and missed the credit?

With the First Rider Charity event being Friday April 2nd, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the park is more than certain that the coaster will open with the rest of the park.

I'd wait a weekend or two more than likely... Opening weekends can be such a crap shoot. It would suck to make the plans and have the ride delayed for some reason and not be open when you're there.

I've been to a couple opening day/weekends for rides in this area, and each time I essentially went to the park just to get on the new ride - then leave. Volcano I waited all day to ride, Hypersonic was the same since it was closed for much of its first day, and SROS on my first trip to the park was closed almost all day before finally opening... So basically, I would wait a while just in case.

Same here, I'm just going to try to get back to I305 asap, and take the hit of waiting a little longer to ride rather than taking the hit to my wallet to be one of the first riders. But, for anyone who doesn't really want to ride I305 badly, I wouldn't show up opening weekend. I remember the first day Dominator opened, I was about an hour late getting to the park due to the traffic on I-95, the line stretched far out before BEGINNING of the queue for Dominator the whole day. I have a feeling the lines for everything will be a nightmare opening weekend.

^Opening weekend is going to be insane. When Diamondback opened the line stretched for three hours. I'm going to wait until the following weekend to take my first ride on I305.

Yeah I'm anticipating it being like that all summer, though. Volcano's line was 2-3+ hours for its first season during all my visits.

^I assume you're not going to the campout?

I wish I could, but I've have to work. Earliest I could go on Friday is after work at 4 or so. So then I'd have to deal with a 2+ hour drive to KD from DC in rush hour - knowing my luck I'd get my pass processed, get in the park, only to find that the line has been close for the day or something because its getting late.

^I assume you're not going to the campout?

I would if I could. Sadly, I am a college student. First, They do not have money. Second, They do not have ample time on their hands. I believe I may have an exam on Friday, April 2nd.

I wish I could, but I've have to work. Earliest I could go on Friday is after work at 4 or so. So then I'd have to deal with a 2+ hour drive to KD from DC in rush hour - knowing my luck I'd get my pass processed, get in the park, only to find that the line has been close for the day or something because its getting late.

You silly kids and college...