TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

In fact the pictures on the site were from back in June when track started arriving to the park.

Unless they didn't want to spoil Carowinds spotlight, I really hope they update the content more than once every two weeks. If that's the case its going to be a long fall/winter.

The webcam does suck but what is there to take pictures of now? Dirt? A couple of supports?

Wait until more construction happens and I'm sure you will find more pictures.

I'm still not on the "Cedar Fait won't let it be better than Millennium Force" bandwagon.

Whether it has insane Intamin airtime or not...having just rode Millennium Force this past week, I can honestly say that, no matter how much or little airtime it has, if I'm soaring at speeds of over 90mph down Intamin track for a little while, it's going to be pretty freaking awesome.

it's doomed to failure and pursuing 300+ would be pointless? Is 242 the limit before ride quality goes in the dumper?

Well, does a park want to pay 50 million for a 300 foot B&M? Those are really expensive just being 240 feet, and 300 feet is a lot of track and unless they want the coaster to be good, it won't be that cheap.

^ Beat me to it lol. Anyways that might be the main reason, I mean think of all the additional materials that would have to be used in order to gain that extra 60 ft, not just on the lift but through the remainder of the ride. Most parks have a hard time affording a 200ft B&M, never mind a 300ft coaster.

^They are talking about statistics.

Yeah, I meant both in ride quality and statistics. I don't think Kings Dominion went to Intamin and said..."okay we want a giga coaster...to lie within an area xx feet long and xx feet wide...OH but it can't be taller, faster, or better than Millennium Force!". I think, given the site by Kings Dominion, Intamin either said "well, here's our design for it...305 feet is the highest we can really go without having to stretch out the footprint needed for the ride" or Kings Dominion gave Intamin a map of the site they wanted to put it on, explained that they'd like a giga coaster, and left the experts to the rest.

After all, Drop Zone/Tower is taller than Power Tower.

And note that Drop Zone was built under the Paramount regime, not Cedar Fair. Of course, they could chop a few feet off it, I suppose.

^^Most likely to that it doesn't overshadow MF. But I think that the 5 extra degrees on the drop will make up for the 5 feet shorter in height. Though you probably won't really be able to tell the difference on the ride.

One thing that seems curious, though (and it may have already been brought up - forgive me if it has) - both i305 and MF have a drop of 300 feet - how does MF go faster? I mean, MF is only ~3 MPH faster, but it just doesn't make sense regarding physics...

Of course, they could chop a few feet off it, I suppose.

Did you put that double meaning in there on purpose?

• Haha 1

^They are talking about statistics.

Yeah, I meant both in ride quality and statistics. I don't think Kings Dominion went to Intamin and said..."okay we want a giga coaster...to lie within an area xx feet long and xx feet wide...OH but it can't be taller, faster, or better than Millennium Force!". I think, given the site by Kings Dominion, Intamin either said "well, here's our design for it...305 feet is the highest we can really go without having to stretch out the footprint needed for the ride" or Kings Dominion gave Intamin a map of the site they wanted to put it on, explained that they'd like a giga coaster, and left the experts to the rest.

It suspiciously seems like they did, though, that's the thing. Heaven forbid anything new built is taller and faster than a coaster at their flagship park.

Also, as Chuck said, Drop Zone was built by Paramount, NOT by Cedar Fair. That's like saying Kingda Ka is taller than TTD, two different parks and two different companies.

^^Most likely to that it doesn't overshadow MF. But I think that the 5 extra degrees on the drop will make up for the 5 feet shorter in height. Though you probably won't really be able to tell the difference on the ride.

One thing that seems curious, though (and it may have already been brought up - forgive me if it has) - both i305 and MF have a drop of 300 feet - how does MF go faster? I mean, MF is only ~3 MPH faster, but it just doesn't make sense regarding physics...

According to the animations, Intimidator looks like it will have only 8 cars per train...Millennium has 9. Maybe that has something to do with it? Also, perhaps the newer train design is a bit lighter as well...even if it did have 9 cars?

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:

And note that Drop Zone was built under the Paramount regime, not Cedar Fair. Of course, they could chop a few feet off it, I suppose.

I'm with DiSab here....grooooaaaannnnn! Thank you for a good chuckle today cfc.

^ Or Cedar Fair didn't want to draw the attention from Millennium Force...

It's a shame really

But, like I imply above, they'd really gain nothing by building something taller than Steel Dragon 2000. It wouldn't be "tallest coaster". It wouldn't even be "tallest full-circuit coaster". It would be "tallest, non-launched coaster". Not a very impressive or marketable record. I guess "tallest gravity-powered coaster" would have sounded a little better, but it still reeks of equivocation.

^ Or Cedar Fair didn't want to draw the attention from Millennium Force...

It's a shame really

But, like I imply above, they'd really gain nothing by building something taller than Steel Dragon 2000. It wouldn't be "tallest coaster". It wouldn't even be "tallest full-circuit coaster". It would be "tallest, non-launched coaster". Not a very impressive or marketable record. I guess "tallest gravity-powered coaster" would have sounded a little better, but it still reeks of equivocation.

Very true, simply building a 300+ foot ride, 100 feet taller then the other hyper coasters in the area, is going to be a huge draw. No one other then enthusiasts will care if there's a slightly taller gravity powered coaster in Ohio, let alone Japan.

Ah, yes, I completely forgot that Drop Zone/Tower was put up by Paramount.

And as far as the speed goes...on the I305 website, it says "in excess of 90mph". Also, I remember seeing somewhere on the day the website went up, that it would go 92mph...but now I'm scouring the website and can't find that fact anywhere anymore. If it's 92mph vs MF's 93...I guess it could have to do with the weight/aerodynamics of the trains.

But, I guess the 5 feet of height doesn't really matter, since it will have the same 300 foot drop as Millennium Force, plus 5 degrees. It'll make for one awesome drop.

Went up to KD today and have a few random pics from the park and some const. updates from I305.

Gorgeous weather today and park was really empty...I think many people assume the park is closed during the week in September.

Enjoy, JEFF

I30516.jpg.60590618fe39f809924a75a8a5fd5a82.jpg

The reason I am a coaster fan today

I30515.jpg.f2a6dd58fd7c77bc89c74fc0c384055d.jpg

I30514.jpg.f3e623c74a0bed5154942cd60c262f3c.jpg

I30513.jpg.6b47572a3a4474f5af02096d48021688.jpg

Something you never ever see

I30512.jpg.4783c02d21f324794492f6df05435f67.jpg

rode Americana for some cool pics

I30511.jpg.90019f2f95f3f56bbea7cd23c83757a4.jpg

Avalanche decided to go where IT wanted to go today (I did not edit this pic)

I30510.jpg.c03f674c4de89c8f2a5a45eab756cf21.jpg

I like this pic

I3059.jpg.4e2818f3f1697977d7c93e4fc831db07.jpg

a good pic of Volcano

I3058.jpg.fd13c887b227eaacd0c9c6d081747f7d.jpg

more supports

I3057.jpg.a027bcec22537507931f8d0f319187ca.jpg

Brake run will be really steep

I3056.jpg.c6f22e8be313fbde38786292c88adaa5.jpg

The Monster foundations look to be down and the look to be still working on the big 45* foundation at the bottom of the lift.

I3055.jpg.4e94f7a6047b7bc182435f47a06ab4dc.jpg

odd supports but this explains the odd connections of the track pics I posted on page 58

I3054.jpg.688d5a16639f886b03d16d5db5560923.jpg

5 supports erected for the back turn (they are there somewhere=) )

I3053.jpg.56592ec0cf18e1ebe16653fab28e7048.jpg

Supports have gone up for the brake run/turn/brakes

I3052.jpg.82ce75d0affa257dec4cbe208171dc08.jpg

I3051.jpg.151ece89e7a93861b1cbd8257fdf338c.jpg

The BIG BOY has arrived in many pieces

I30518.jpg.5fb5db0e5bfa6d5245fc100a51fd7309.jpg

start things off with a geek shot!

Cable wheels have been installed on all the lift track

Just back from the park.

The only thing different from yesterday's photo report and what I saw today was rebar or some other steel stuff was coming out of where the lift will be. I saw one column with this!

There were five supports for the turn around after the first drop.

Though they don't look like they hug the ground quite as much as the animations depict. The track appears to be six to eight feet off the ground. SROS at SFA comes close enough to the ground that you use to be able to grab grass as you flew by before they put landscaping rocks down there to keep the grass out.

I stopped in the store to the right of the main entrance to check out the model of I305 and the coaster train could not complete a circuit without the help of the store's associate. Not a good sign.

I arrived to the park around 1pm and rode Grizzly nearly a dozen times getting many re-rides without having to get out of my seat.

I bounced on over to Rebel Yell and rode a half dozen times with the same circumstances.

By this point it was around 2:30 and the park was much more busy.

I took a ton of pics and will post them here as soon as I copy them off my facebook page and convert them to files.

Volcano had the longest line I've seen since it opened going back into the old Smurf queue. I decided to pass on Volcano and didn't even check Dominator.

My trip down usually takes 1.5 hours but this time it took three hours. Traveling south on I95 between the Mixing Bowl (Springfield) and Quantico was a nightmare. I got off I95 and took US 1 all the way down.

Squeezed in a brief stop at Sonic off exit 126.

Those of us who live in the Baltimore/DC region do not take for granted that we do not have Sonics around so now that there is one on the way, it's a must.