TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

well well well, will you look at this everyone complaining about the people discussing the restraints. It turns out they were on to something and you guys didnt need to get all anal about them discussing it. According to screamscape: "I went right to the source and asked John Pagel, KD’s Marketing Manager, to try and clear up the issue for us. According to John, “The restraint system will not be like the ones seen on the animations and on Maverick.” Well there you go, I believe an apology is in order, you know who you are.

well well well, will you look at this everyone complaining about the people discussing the restraints. It turns out they were on to something and you guys didnt need to get all anal about them discussing it. According to screamscape: "I went right to the source and asked John Pagel, KD’s Marketing Manager, to try and clear up the issue for us. According to John, “The restraint system will not be like the ones seen on the animations and on Maverick.” Well there you go, I believe an apology is in order, you know who you are.

I'm sorry. Please forgive me for going off the pictures/videos on the website and thinking those were the restraints that would be used.

You left out a big chunk of the copy from Screamscape:

Now this is where things get tricky, as even John isn’t 100% certain exactly what it will be as the only official descriptive information they have right now is what’s on the website that labels them as, “over the shoulder straps”. So until the train actually arrives on site at the park, we wont know anything for sure.

Time will tell. I'm leaning toward the "Tornado/Insane" style restraints.

and a subpar floorless coaster.
In my opinion, Dominator is one of the best (if not THE best) floorless coasters out there...

Totally agree I find it to be better then Medusa and Kraken personally.

I find it pretty funny that the park doesn't even know what the restraints will be like... So maybe we should complain right to source - Intamin, then?

You left out a big chunk of the copy from Screamscape:

Now this is where things get tricky, as even John isn’t 100% certain exactly what it will be as the only official descriptive information they have right now is what’s on the website that labels them as, “over the shoulder straps”. So until the train actually arrives on site at the park, we wont know anything for sure.

Time will tell. I'm leaning toward the "Tornado/Insane" style restraints.

Who owes who an apology now?

and a subpar floorless coaster.
In my opinion, Dominator is one of the best (if not THE best) floorless coasters out there...

Totally agree I find it to be better then Medusa and Kraken personally.

I find it pretty funny that the park doesn't even know what the restraints will be like... So maybe we should complain right to source - Intamin, then?

Keep in mind that Dominator was custom designed to fit the proposed site that it originally occupied in Ohio so that's probably why the layout turned out to be rather original when compared to most B&M's.

Dominator is my Favorite Floorless (always has been since 2000)

I think the best thing about it is that it is UNIQUE and not like almost every other floorless where it is just Inversion after Inversion (Most in this order Loop, dive loop, 0 G roll,cobra roll, MCBR, corkscrews etc.)

It cracked me up when it was coming to KD and everybody was complaining about no 0 G roll....hello Volcano is a short walk away.

I think of all the former Paramount parks KD has made out the Best through 2010.

Thanks for all the compliments on the pics. hopefully we will be able to see construction from doswell road in the winter.

JEFF

Keep in mind that Dominator was custom designed to fit the proposed site that it originally occupied in Ohio so that's probably why the layout turned out to be rather original when compared to most B&M's.

I agree that Dominator is unique cause it was designed to fit a custom site, but I'm not positive it was Ohio all along. Back around 1998 the rumor was that it was going to SFKK from a deal that the old KK management had signed after Chang.

Word is that after Premier bought SF and decided to convert Ohio into a "super park" they took the floorless design from SFKK (tweaked slightly) and threw it into the Ohio park. Supposedly that has something to do with the odd runout from the station to the lift hill that you don't see on any other B&Ms. I've heard similar stories about Villain coming from SFoG too, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, I've always thought Dominator was my favorite floorless. The drop off of it is great in the back row, the first loop has hang time and it's not just loop after loop like all the other ones.

I think the best thing about it is that it is UNIQUE and not like almost every other floorless where it is just Inversion after Inversion (Most in this order Loop, dive loop, 0 G roll,cobra roll, MCBR, corkscrews etc.)

JEFF

While reading the last few pages about this, I was thinking this EXACT same thought and glad you bring this up.

Having been on Medusa East, BDK, Dominator (OH & VA), Hydra, Griffon, and Sheikra, I have to take Medusa circa 1999 over all the rest.

The experience riding on the first floorless coaster ever back in 1999 was mind blowing. Medusa will always be my favorite floorless.

Same goes for Montu.

Montu was my first B&M (any model) and I was fortunate enough to ride it in 1996 pre-trims, and have similar feelings with Montu as I do Medusa.

One thing I really hate is when two different parks give their ride the same name when the layouts are completely different. The worst in this matter is Six Flags. Why the hell did they call their California hyper Goliath and the Georgia hyper as well as the Montreal junior hyper Goliath as well? Come on for Christ sake get a little original. Or at least call the junior hyper David or something.

One thing I really hate is when two different parks give their ride the same name when the layouts are completely different. The worst in this matter is Six Flags. Why the hell did they call their California hyper Goliath and the Georgia hyper as well as the Montreal junior hyper Goliath as well? Come on for Christ sake get a little original. Or at least call the junior hyper David or something.

You forgot a Batman clone at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

How much time and money do you think they spent by using the same name/ logo for three coasters (four if you count Walibi World)?

I think that Intimidator 305 will either be really good (top 10 steel) or not that great at all. It really all depends on how strong the airtime is. I think the layout is cool and it's nice that it's in the back of the park. I really hope they plant in some trees though.

I think they made the webcam much better!

They zoomed out and you can actually see the site now.

The camera seems to be on top of FOF Q building.

JEFF

I think they put it on the ride building because before it was on the queue building & could be seen as you entered the FOF midway....it definitely looks better now.

^even though it's midnight here on the East Coaster, after reading the past couple of posts I decided to go to the special webpage dedicated to the project and was disappointed to find no new pics, no blog update, nothing.

In fact the pictures on the site were from back in June when track started arriving to the park.

Unless they didn't want to spoil Carowinds spotlight, I really hope they update the content more than once every two weeks. If that's the case its going to be a long fall/winter.

I think it's interesting that both rides share (virtually) the same name/themeing yet are completely different. The taller Intamin coaster has more low to the ground elements where as the shorter B&M has lots of airtime hills, both rides very unique. Why doesn't B&M ever go to 300 feet tall? I wish I could get out to those parks to ride both, they look to be very enjoyable.

I think it's interesting that both rides share (virtually) the same name/themeing yet are completely different. The taller Intamin coaster has more low to the ground elements where as the shorter B&M has lots of airtime hills, both rides very unique. Why doesn't B&M ever go to 300 feet tall? I wish I could get out to those parks to ride both, they look to be very enjoyable.

Why hasn't anyone built another 200'+ woodie?

Why go 50 something feet higher when you've perfected this particular model at 242 feet? B&M prides their reputation off of their smooth ride, comfortable seats and restraints, reliability, low maintenance, impeccable safety record and ride capacity.

You can't fix it if it isn't broken.

Not saying "it's broken" but a company with an impressive record as theirs and the very high quality of their rides surely could easily engineer a coaster topping 300 feet and still retain the great record and quality they are known for. Look at all the outstanding innovations they have developed and perfected. Why should this be any different? Have they ever tried or do they know it's doomed to failure and pursuing 300+ would be pointless? Is 242 the limit before ride quality goes in the dumper?