TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

This roller coaster looks amazing. From the 300 foot drop, to the beautifully engineered lift hill/lift supports, to the Dale Earnhardt theme. Cedar Fair has not disappointed me at all. The restraints on it, if they are like Maverick, might be uncomfortable, but boo-hoo. Lean with the trains and you'll be fine. All Intamin/Cedar Fair is trying to do is accommodate guests that are a little bit on the bigger side. I sure as hell wish B&M would have done that on Diamondback instead of making the seats more restrictive than typical hyper coaster seats.

Another comment I'd like to make is that anybody complaining about this $25 million dollar investment should stop. Trying being a coaster enthusiast living in Miami where the only permanent coaster you have to ride is a 100 foot wooden coaster that you have ridden about 1,000 times[Dania Beach Hurricane(Which I do still love by the way)].

Anyways, I'm planning on taking a trip up to Virginia next year now. Can't wait to ride this beast.

I just saw the POV of this ride and I am not impressed yet. I think Millenium Force was the most boring ride I have ever been on. I loved the height and the speed but not much happening. This appears to be the same. i dont care for inversions at all but I do like a lot of humps and bumps. I am just a B&M nut. I love the layouts of their rides. I actually think that KD needed a kick behind woodie instead of this. They have NO WOOD selection at all. I just think an el toro type coaster would have been more exciting than this and would draw more attention because the better park up the street is all steel and a super woodie like el toro would have been a bigger draw than a 300 ft do nothing coaster.

just my opinion, dont blast me because I have it.

^While I'm sure many enthusiasts would rather have an El Toro style coaster, I don't think it would have done what you think. While Kings Dominion doesn't have an exceptional wooden coaster to my knowledge, I believe a pre-fab wooden coaster would have been just another wooden coaster to the gp. A wooden coaster could also backfire in marketing because a lot of the gp think wooden coasters are old, so they might think that they are getting an old ride being passed off as being new.

The giga coaster has a huge marketing potential. It will be not just the park's biggest coaster,, but the biggest coaster in the south.

--------------------------------------------------------------

While I am disappointed that there is not more to the layout, I am excited to see how it is when it is built. It looks a lot like a mega lite, so hopefully it gives as good of a ride as they do.

^Virginia is hardly the south.

I hope the restraints aren't uncomfortable...however, they are the only reason Maverick isn't in my top 5. I got karate-chopped repeatedly by them on my two rides. Hopefully the transitions are spread out and smooth on this, because I can't even begin to imagine being slammed into the harness ala-Maverick, but at 90mph.

Other than that, it looks sort of like an oversized Mega-Lite to me, as well. Hopefully its a good ride.

^^I agree that El Toro (and other Intamin woodies) are awesome rides, but, let's face it, the park's major audience isn't the enthusiast community--it's the public (many of whom don't even realize that they still build new wooden coasters). A 305-foot steel coaster with a NASCAR theme will resonate more with the public and be an easier sell and bigger draw for the park.

But I sure won't complain if KD wants to build a Balder or an El Toro someday.

Plus, KD already has 4-5 wooden coasters (depending on your whoriness). None of them are fancy new GCI's, GG's, or Intamins (or even CCI's for that matter), but that's still not bad, and excluding Hurler, they're all decent (and even Hurler isn't terrible). In fact, I thought Grizzly was great, at least on par with many CCIs I've been on, and Rebel Yell is one of the best of the racing out-and-backs.

^Virginia is hardly the south.

You are aware that many major Civil War battles were fought in Virginia, right? (Quite a few more than were fought in Florida.)

^^My biggest problem when I moved to Virginia was avoiding sweet tea.

Chuck "Carpetbagger from California" Campbell

Here are my thoughts on this:

The ride SUCKS! Seriously, even though I live 2,000 miles away from it, I would rather see a boomerang in it's place. Or better yet, a new sign for Anaconda! The layout, colors, name, over the should harness, and idea sucks!

I will NOT be attending the opening even if I happened to live right next door.

--James

I just saw the POV of this ride and I am not impressed yet. I think Millenium Force was the most boring ride I have ever been on. I loved the height and the speed but not much happening. This appears to be the same. i dont care for inversions at all but I do like a lot of humps and bumps. I am just a B&M nut. I love the layouts of their rides. I actually think that KD needed a kick behind woodie instead of this. They have NO WOOD selection at all. I just think an el toro type coaster would have been more exciting than this and would draw more attention because the better park up the street is all steel and a super woodie like el toro would have been a bigger draw than a 300 ft do nothing coaster.

just my opinion, dont blast me because I have it.

No wooden selection? They have 5 wooden coasters, and while none are exactly top 10 woodies, that is still pretty good. I may be biased because I think Grizzly is fantastic, but saying they have no wooden selection is far from the truth.

Virginia is a no-mans land geographically nowadays thanks to the sprawl and constantly growing population of liberal Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia thinks of themselves as being separate and better then Southern "Redneck" VA. Maybe we should split VA so we'll have West, North, and Southern Virginia?

I was looking at Screamscape this morning and there was a video of Bakken's new Intamin Tornado spinning coaster.

That ride looks great but what caught my eye were the restraints. Those OSTRs look much more padded than what I've personally experienced on Maverick. I wonder if something like these restraints could end up on I305?

I am aware, yes. Geographically-speaking, when looking at a map, Virginia is not the south (my discretion, at least). However, its not very Northern, either. So what exactly is it, then?

And if there's no sweet tea (as one poster said, and one debunked) then it's DEFINITELY not the south.

As far as Team Thriller's comments on the announcement. That's a bit extreme, eh? To each his own, but wow...I don't think it looks terribly good, but ANYTHING is better than a Boomerang!

So...this argument is relevant because of whether or not Intimidator will be the biggest coaster in the South?

You do know that even if you settle this, Cedar Fair isn't bound by your group conclusion, right?

^Hmm--we have strayed a wee bit off topic here.

I can safely say that Intimidator will be the biggest coaster in Virginia--and that an off-the-shelf SLC would be worse than a Boomerang.

i think intimadator will be a good ride. I hope to get back to kd next year. Oh as i person who live in va beach his whole life we are considered part of the south. It does say the south starts here if you enter va from md on the eastern shore side.

Here are my thoughts on this:

The ride SUCKS! Seriously, even though I live 2,000 miles away from it, I would rather see a boomerang in it's place. Or better yet, a new sign for Anaconda! The layout, colors, name, over the should harness, and idea sucks!

I will NOT be attending the opening even if I happened to live right next door.

--James

robertdjr.jpg.d5879f5a436365014139ab2f5c6e4d62.jpg

Everybody knows you NEVER go Full retard!!

I was looking at Screamscape this morning and there was a video of Bakken's new Intamin Tornado spinning coaster.
That ride looks great but what caught my eye were the restraints. Those OSTRs look much more padded than what I've personally experienced on Maverick. I wonder if something like these restraints could end up on I305?

They're the same restraints,just with nylon or rubber padding over the "shoulder strap" portion.

^That's what I was thinking a few pages back, those restraints seem to fit the "overhead bar with shoulder straps" criteria nicely.

But it will probably be the restraints shown in the animation

Agreed. Those restraints seem to be the Intamin "standard" restraints now. I realize alot of people had trouble with the older T-bar restraints (Mil. Force, TTD, Xcelerator) but in my personal opinion, those restraints provided a MUCH better ride than the new lapbar/otsr's. The older restraints left a more open feeling while riding. With the new OTSR's you can't even put your hands up if your riding with two people.

^^I agree that El Toro (and other Intamin woodies) are awesome rides, but, let's face it, the park's major audience isn't the enthusiast community--it's the public (many of whom don't even realize that they still build new wooden coasters). A 305-foot steel coaster with a NASCAR theme will resonate more with the public and be an easier sell and bigger draw for the park.

But I sure won't complain if KD wants to build a Balder or an El Toro someday.

very true , but the public seem absolutely in love with El Toro

what if the park sees all the complaining in this thread about restraints?