TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^Piraten, an Intamin Mega-Lite, isn't nearly as tall or as long as, say, Expedition GeForce or the Intamin Superman rides, yet it really delivers the airtime and the thrills.

As I said earlier, the proof will be in the riding. I anticipate that Intimidator will be, at least, a very good ride. For me, all it has to meet is one major criterion: Is it any fun at all?

Let's break this down.

A hyper/giga should be about the height dirrentials throughout the ride's course(that's why they have no inversions & are like giant versions of out & back woodies)

Why should anything have to be like anything else? If every succeeding model of coaster were like everything that came before it, then we might as well contact Merriam-Webster and have them remove variety from the dictionary.

but this is more or less an oversized version of BL:SC

This doesn't really need any analysis. It's a comparison to BL:SC. The humor is obvious.

with too many small hills & way too many curves.

A coaster with too many hills and curves? Say it ain't so!

^This online clay pigeon shooting regatta keeps me entertained no end.

I'm looking forward to this a lot. The ex-Paramount parks always needed a couple of good coasters, and Cedar Fair are doing the job. Hopefully I'll get over to the East Coast in a couple of years and try this thing out.

Take a look at the arial video on the ride site & after watching it cycle a few times some of those hills do actually look like they'll deliver some air....I just would've liked to see a bit more of that & less of the low to the ground turns but that's just me.

Is it just me or has th e webcam not been updated in the past 24 hours? it's still showing the SAME image it did yesterday.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but perhaps CF deserves some kudos for something else......the licensing deal itself. When you're all finished complaining, discussing, and comparing notes on restraints, etc., at the end of the day this is a huge victory for CF.

Over the last few years, the trend of snatching up notable "name brands" like Tony Hawk and Evel Knievel by SF seems to have worked fairly well. The names themselves draw attention to the project, and the ride itself doesn't really require extensive theming. Just slap some plywood cutouts and "storyboards" about their careers in the queues, and you're set.

With this one, CF landed the absolute goldmine of NASCAR, Dale Earnhardt. On top of that, their two huge new projects associated with his name and likeness are going into two prime areas for NASCAR fans. Let's face it, whether the rides actually crack coaster dork top 10 lists or not, CF just made a GREAT business decision.

I couldn't agree more - great post!

^^^ Thanks. And for those who may not be familiar with Dale Earnhardt, and why this deal is important, here's a couple links that help explain what I was getting at. Link1 (note the sales chart) - It's also important to note that his fans aren't just grouped into one segment of the market. It covers male, female, white, black, young, old -NASCAR has branched out, in large part due to his career and influence on the sport.

Link2.

Basically, the man's been dead for 8 years now, yet his merchandise still outsells 90% of the current drivers competing in NASCAR. I think Cedar Fair inked a good one.

Well I'm not going to say much about how I think this ride is going to be, since I'm not going to be riding it anytime in the foreseeable future, and because I'm pretty sure you can't really gauge a ride from a concept video. However I do want to say that I'm happy to see another Intamin Giga getting installed. Frankly I was pretty confident that after MF, this just was one of those things that was not going to happen again.

As far as the theme, colors, restraints, number of bolts per support, and anything else that might be wrong with this coaster, I'm confident that by this time next year people won't care anymore.

Just to add while everyone's hating on the layout...I know nothing of KD's property boundaries or height zones or anything, but, wasn't it said a bunch of pages back that this construction site was compact for a reason? Maybe this is all they could do, given the site constraints. And, I'm sort of not buying into the whole can't-be-better-than-MF idea here...

Millennium Force has already been eclipsed a few times in height, so I don't see why Cedar Fair would beat a dead horse and try to make it "not as tall as MF". That's like if KD were to get a GCI woodie, and them saying "well, we can't POSSIBLY go any higher than Mean Streak".

If they wanted to be able to sell Cedar Point to people, I'm sure they'd do it by saying "if you like this, then go check out Top Thrill Dragster! Its 420 feet tall and makes this thing look like a kiddie ride!"

I personally just feel that this is something the Intamin engineers we all love came up with, maybe to make some 90mph S-turn enthusiasts out of us.

Still trying to figure out why they made the track so beefy. They could have made the track half the size and made this coaster twice as long like B&M does with their hypers.

Looks to me like they used less supports (than MF) so the track needed to be beefier. At least the lift sections look beefier - the rest of the track that is lower to the ground may be standard issue track.

Still trying to figure out why they made the track so beefy. They could have made the track half the size and made this coaster twice as long like B&M does with their hypers.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many of you guys are complaining about an Intamin giga-mega-lite. Seriously, it's not going to be as bad as you all say it will be. In fact, it will probably kick ass! They already spent $25 million on this, so why spend too much more to make the layout longer? Millennium Force isn't very long and it's still an amazing ride. Maverick's OTSR's do not make it a bad ride. It's not like they build coasters to appeal to us overly needy coaster enthusiasts. You guys don't realize how lucky you are to be getting a coaster like this. Sadly, here in Colorado, the most badass coaster is a Vekoma SLC, so consider yourselves lucky.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many of you guys are complaining about an Intamin giga-mega-lite. Seriously, it's not going to be as bad as you all say it will be. In fact, it will probably kick a$$! They already spent $25 million on this, so why spend too much more to make the layout longer? Millennium Force isn't very long and it's still an amazing ride. Maverick's OTSR's do not make it a bad ride. It's not like they build coasters to appeal to us overly needy coaster enthusiasts. You guys don't realize how lucky you are to be getting a coaster like this. Sadly, here in Colorado, the most badass coaster is a Vekoma SLC, so consider yourselves lucky.

Where was I complaining in that post? All I said was that they could have made the coaster twice as long if they used less beefy track. Does it mean I hate this ride? No. I guess people can't have opinions on anything anymore. If it's positive it's ok, but if it's negative than not.

I'm quite pleased that a big hunk of Intamin goodness is coming to Virginia--and that the park is taking on a project of this size in this economy. And I think some competition with my home park will be good for both BGE and KD.

EDIT: Too many freakin' posts gettin' in the way of my ^s.

I know this has been said before, but I just think too many people have been critical of this coaster...

I think the Maverick-like transitions will be great, as well as the drop of course. I'll probably be there on opening day just like I was for Diamondback. Anybody else plan on going as well?

"Still trying to figure out why they made the track so beefy. They could have made the track half the size..." (lilj4425)

You might want to learn a bit about structural engineering.

Intamin's truss-like track structure allows it to span greater distances with fewer supports. But in doing so, it needs to be "beefier" than other styles of track. This is indeed a more expensive type of track, but is amazingly strong.

Granted, I'm not a structural engineer, but having been in the engineering field for 30 years, I've learned a little.

Eric

Wow! The complainers are in full effect I think the layout looks great. The one guy said he would have a Behemoth clone. Well, you can go almost anywhere and ride a B&M hyper that is similar. This ride is about speed and an out-of-control type feel. This is original and looks extremely fun. I think too many kids get caught up in the little coaster models that they draw on paper or make on the computer and don't realize that most of them are unrealistic.

Again, great job KD! Ignore the always unpleased people. I can't wait to ride next year.

Time for me to put my 2 cents in. When I first saw the layout I was "Wait, that's it?" While i'm excited that King's Dominion is getting a new giga coaster, IMO it seems like could have done much more layout wise. That drop looks INSANE though! Hopefully the pacing won't be a big issue. I remember someone (I think it was the GG but not sure) saying how the downside of taller coasters is that the time between elements is bigger and may not deliver as big of a punch as a a shorter coaster. Now about the restraints, hopefully those low turns won't neck chop you like on Maverick, but that didn't stop me from thinking that it was an awesome ride! But the thing I have to remember is that CF isn't gearing the ride towards us but more towards the GP and I can accept that. I showed my brother a video of it and he said, "It's tall, goes fast, has airtime, looks like a lot of fun!" and think that's exactly what they wanted. Hopefully they will be able to bring in more people next year with this cool addition. I'm looking forward to it!

My only question is how can Cedar Fair continue to buy these 20 million dollar coasters? Did Diamondback really bring in enough crowds to pay for such a coaster? I know that these coasters don't get payed off in a single season, but i'm still wondering how CF is able to keep building these giant additions. Isn't this kinda how Six Flags got into so much debt?

"Still trying to figure out why they made the track so beefy. They could have made the track half the size..." (lilj4425)

You might want to learn a bit about structural engineering.

Intamin's truss-like track structure allows it to span greater distances with fewer supports. But in doing so, it needs to be "beefier" than other styles of track. This is indeed a more expensive type of track, but is amazingly strong.

Granted, I'm not a structural engineer, but having been in the engineering field for 30 years, I've learned a little.

Eric

AHA! That's why it doesn't have all the supports for the lift hill like MF does. Though I particularly like those MF supports...