TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Im wondering what this bad boy is going to bring once the sun sets... woooweee!

Good point. Since nobody's done any NL recreations yet I think I'll give it a go.

OHH YEEA!!!. Cant wait till a NL version is released of this MONSTA!

I'm already working on it & have gotten the lift,drop & pullout done,now I just gotta work on the first turn following the drop.I'm using two of the renderings of the ride layout as a rough guide but be forewarned that my coaster design skills in NL are still on the newbie side as evidenced by the complaints concerning the four rides I've uploaded to the games sub-forum so far.

One more thing. Maybe I'm missing something, but why is there a need for NL recreations? Is THIS not sufficient?

Does this make any sense at all? Would it still be safe? From what I remember the shoulder bar thingy was kind of useless, as in if it isn't really needed.

I think (and by I think, I mean: "I read it on the internet") that the OTSR makes braking faster, safer, and more comfortable. When stopping on a OSTR ride, you have both your shoulders and your waste as "points" where the ride stops your body.

^ Ya I mean give Intamin some credit, i'm sure the transitions will be fine. They must have thought of the forces seeing as though they are professional designers. (At least I hope they did lol)

The same guys who had to remove a certain infamous element from Maverick just before opening? I guess even the "pros" make mistakes sometimes.

Im wondering what this bad boy is going to bring once the sun sets... woooweee!

Good point. Since nobody's done any NL recreations yet I think I'll give it a go.

OHH YEEA!!!. Cant wait till a NL version is released of this MONSTA!

I'm already working on it & have gotten the lift,drop & pullout done,now I just gotta work on the first turn following the drop.I'm using two of the renderings of the ride layout as a rough guide but be forewarned that my coaster design skills in NL are still on the newbie side as evidenced by the complaints concerning the four rides I've uploaded to the games sub-forum so far.

One more thing. Maybe I'm missing something, but why is there a need for NL recreations? Is THIS not sufficient?

They're not needed. They're just fun

All my NASCAR cracks aside, I agree with this. I think most NASCAR fans who weren't Dale fans had a certain degree of respect for him. This kind of deal alone might bring in guests who possibly wouldn't visit KD. Richmond was one of the contenders to get the NASCAR Hall of Fame so it definitely has a draw in the area.

^ Ya I mean give Intamin some credit, i'm sure the transitions will be fine. They must have thought of the forces seeing as though they are professional designers. (At least I hope they did lol)

The same guys who had to remove a certain infamous element from Maverick just before opening? I guess even the "pros" make mistakes sometimes.

I knew that was going to be mentioned, it was only a matter of time lol, but guess what, they corrected their error. Its not like they said screw it, we messed up, o'well, they recognized the problem and fixed it. So i'm sure if they make a mistake they will fix it. Anyways i'm still looking forward to this coaster and can't wait to ride it.

Also:

^ I'm not a Nascar fan, just a sports fan in general, and even I respect him as a great driver.

^I think it's because we can look around and sort of study the ride in a sense. It's what us coaster people do.

Also, is it just me, or have people been complaining A LOT about everything that's coming out. Lets see, there was: Behemoth's drop wasn't as steep as they said it was going to be, all of the Dark Knight's suck, Evil Knievel is a carbon copy, this & that is forceless, no airtime, OTSR(OH NO!) It seems if it isn't place in the right section with $3 million dollars worth of theming then it's a worthless piece of crap. It's a roller coaster people, this isn't a Van Gogh painting. To us it's something we like to critique & wish for bigger and better things, but to them it's a way to bring in business, they don't only listen to what WE as the coaster loving community think.

We are allowed to our own opinion's, but is it really necessary to bash a ride for the type of restraint? Half of us will probably never ride it in our lifetime, or during the span that it's standing. So come on, lets be a little less judgmental before ANY of us ride it shall we?

^I think it's because we can look around and sort of study the ride in a sense. It's what us coaster people do.

Also, is it just me, or have people been complaining A LOT about everything that's coming out. Lets see, there was: Behemoth's drop wasn't as steep as they said it was going to be, all of the Dark Knight's suck, Evil Knievel is a carbon copy, this & that is forceless, no airtime, OTSR(OH NO!) It seems if it isn't place in the right section with $3 million dollars worth of theming then it's a worthless piece of crap. It's a roller coaster people, this isn't a Van Gogh painting. To us it's something we like to critique & wish for bigger and better things, but to them it's a way to bring in business, they don't only listen to what WE as the coaster loving community think.

We are allowed to our own opinion's, but is it really necessary to bash a ride for the type of restraint? Half of us will probably never ride it in our lifetime, or during the span that it's standing. So come on, lets be a little less judgmental before ANY of us ride it shall we?

OK, so after I ride it opening day next season I will be allowed to say "it would have been a lot better with lap bars only, too bad"?

I knew that was going to be mentioned, it was only a matter of time lol, but guess what, they corrected their error. Its not like they said screw it, we messed up, o'well, they recognized the problem and fixed it. So i'm sure if they make a mistake they will fix it. Anyways i'm still looking forward to this coaster and can't wait to ride it.

Also:

^ I'm not a Nascar fan, just a sports fan in general, and even I respect him as a great driver.

Exactly. Look at how quickly Intamin corrected the problem and replaced the track. Not to mention, I'm sure that particular situation was embarrassment enough to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

If OTSRs are going to ruin the ride experience for you, then don't ride it. Simple as that. I'm 6'3, and I personally have no issue with Intamin's OTSRs. Do I prefer them? No. Do I realize that they were obviously chosen for a reason? Yes.

I'm really looking forward to this coaster. I just visited Kings Dominion for the first time towards the end of July, and this is definitely a reason to go back.

I was IMing my friend who's neither a NASCAR nor a coaster fan but he knows I love coasters. I sent him a link to the video page at intimidator305.com because he knows I'm excited for this ride. This was his response:

THE INTIMIDATOR haha

oh my god

are you kidding me??? based off the bumper sticker/t-shirt guy???

every richmonder in richmond sports

hahaha

OK, so after I ride it opening day next season I will be allowed to say "it would have been a lot better with lap bars only, too bad"?

It's not so much that you're not allowed to have an opinion, but more so the fact that you're saying the same exact thing over and over and over again. You think it would be better with lapbars. Got it. Done.

Also:

Exactly. Look at how quickly Intamin corrected the problem and replaced the track. Not to mention, I'm sure that particular situation was embarrassment enough to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

If OTSRs are going to ruin the ride experience for you, then don't ride it. Simple as that. I'm 6'3, and I personally have no issue with Intamin's OTSRs. Do I prefer them? No. Do I realize that they were obviously chosen for a reason? Yes.

I'm really looking forward to this coaster. I just visited Kings Dominion for the first time towards the end of July, and this is definitely a reason to go back.

No one I have seen is saying the OTSR's are going to ruin the ride for them or keep them from riding it. People understandably just don't see why exactly they are needed and feel that lap bars would allow the ride to be even better more then likely.

These forums would be rather dull if all anyone wanted to do was complement every ride or decision made by a park for fear of being a "complainer". 200+ pages of "I'm so excited for the drop! This ride is going to be the best!" is not exactly the most entertaining material in the world. I have no qualms with saying what disheartens me about this ride thus far or how I think it could be better. It won't keep me from riding the ride and giving it a fair shake when it opens, but I have an opinion on how it looks so far.

It's not so much that you're not allowed to have an opinion, but more so the fact that you're saying the same exact thing over and over and over again. You think it would be better with lapbars. Got it. Done.

And plenty of people think the OTSR's don't matter and this looks like the best thing since sliced bread. Got it. Done. May as well close the thread until the ride is open now that we have these revelations out of the way.

I'm not even complaining any more, I'm just trying to understand where the line is with some people here because anyone saying anything critical is being complained about and is a whiner. If we can only say nice things until opening day then I guess there isn't much to talk about here.

Its not like they said screw it, we messed up, o'well, they recognized the problem and fixed it.
Yeah, but I also don't think Cedar Point would've let them get away with another error that could cause injuries, especially given Intamin's track record. They make awesome rides, but they also don't seem to mind going back for re-work.

Anyways, it looks like Millennium Force and Maverick had a baby. The MF aspects of that should be awesome, especially since it was looking unlikely that we'd ever see another giga coaster, but as with everyone else, I'm worried about the snappy transition/OTSR combination, as my neck didn't appreciate that on Maverick. Still, it looks like a great layout and an excellent addition to the park. I'm looking forward to it, especially since there's a good chance that I'll make it out there next year, and it'll be a lot of fun even if my neck must suffer a little.

I tried to say the same thing, but some people just get all hung up on one thing and can't let it go.

It's sort of like a fetish, you know...some people are into crushing, some people are into small boys in tights, others are into lap bars only.

To each his own...

--Robb

^You had to bring up the crushing thing. I had blocked that out from your exposition about it on the Texas trip.

Robb might kill me for this, but I'm still not convinced about what we're getting for this thing restraint wise. Chalk it up to too much coaster geek forum exposure for the day.

^You had to bring up the crushing thing. I had blocked that out from your exposition about it on the Texas trip.

Robb might kill me for this, but I'm still not convinced about what we're getting for this thing restraint wise. Chalk it up to too much coaster geek forum exposure for the day.

I will choose to live in denial until I have to pull the things down over my shoulders next spring.

Guys, its not like its going to take Maverick sized transitions at 90mph. McVeens animations are always very pretty and well done but never exact and track shaping, while good, is never exact. I doubt a few of those transitions are as bad as they look.

Also, a few of those twists actually dont twist that bad as seen in the video. Sure it takes a lot of speed but the angles at which it twists entering and exiting will make for a smooth transition.

Keith uses the actual 3D CAD files for the ride, what you see in the animation is what you get with the ride.

weak! a big drop and nothing thereafter. i don't care if i'm complaining, we're all entitled to our own opinion and the right to voice that opinion. i don't know what's up with all the nazis against the OTSR complainers. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN OPINION SO LET US HAVE IT! No need to delete posts for someone voicing their opinion. I didn't realize we were posting on a nazi controlled forum.