TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I just realized something...

I thought that having the name with the ride height was kinda cheesey on Cedar Fair's part.

But it wasnt their first time...

Magnum XL-200, God! How cheesey is that name.

But its better than Dimond Snake Horse something on Fire! (cant remember the fake name for Dimondback)

And since the "#3" moniker is apparently owned by a company other than DEI (at least that's what I'm getting), I wonder if they'll add a 3 to the train...?

Highly unlikely as Richard Childress owns the 3, DEI has nothing in it, just the name of the company, which now is actually Earnhardt/Gannassi Racing....

Is the complaining over?

This layout looks better than MF in my opinion and should produce some airtime (trust me, Intamin has probably engineered those hills to do that). The layout seems to have the coaster train "flow" around the course and who cares if it has OTS restraints? IMO it helps make the cars look better and from previous experiences, they aren't really a pain.

Now that half of the fun of guessing the ride has passed, the next fun part is watching it get built.

Maybe we should rent an RV, buy some pink flamingos, and sit in the parking lot on the roof and watch this thing get built (kind of what they do at Nascar races). That'd be fun. lol

Maybe we should rent an RV, buy some pink flamingos, and sit in the parking lot on the roof and watch this thing get built (kind of what they do at Nascar races). That'd be fun. lol

Now we are talking!! Tailgate party that was 35 years in the making!!! Better get lots of beer and burgers LMAO.

Why in the HELL did they make the ride shorter than MF? What a stupid business move! They should have made this ride taller and longer! Does not look too intimidating after all. It could have been at least 325 feet! And no tunnel. I was thinking about going to KD next year. Now I just don't know.

I really wish people could be more honest. I mean look at what we were predicting. Then they came up short. Sure this ride may have some fun aspects, I'm not saying it won't. But there is NO WAY this coaster will be as good as millie. I'm sorry. BTW TTD in my opinion in the greatest steel coaster ever created and intamin went down in quality with kingda ka too.

Wait a second, which is it? It's bad when they downgrade or its bad when they upgrade? You say "OH NOES they made it shorter than MF it's going to suckkkkkk!!!!!1111!!" but then you say Kingda Ka, which is longer, taller, and faster, is worse than TTD.

Your argument just doesn't make sense. I guess both Goliaths, Hollywood Dream: The Ride, Behemoth, and Diamondback are all worse than Silver Star because they are shorter and were built after it...?

But its better than Dimond Snake Horse something on Fire! (cant remember the fake name for Dimondback)

That would be Laser Snake Horse on Fire.

Thats it! Thank you

But yeah, I think that Cedar Fair does these cheesy names on purpose, just so we know that this coaster is better than the coaster you would ride anywhere else!

Why in the HELL did they make the ride shorter than MF? What a stupid business move! They should have made this ride taller and longer! Does not look too intimidating after all. It could have been at least 325 feet! And no tunnel. I was thinking about going to KD next year. Now I just don't know.

I really wish people could be more honest. I mean look at what we were predicting. Then they came up short. Sure this ride may have some fun aspects, I'm not saying it won't. But there is NO WAY this coaster will be as good as millie. I'm sorry. BTW TTD in my opinion in the greatest steel coaster ever created and intamin went down in quality with kingda ka too.

Wait a second, which is it? It's bad when they downgrade or its bad when they upgrade? You say "OH NOES they made it shorter than MF it's going to suckkkkkk!!!!!1111!!" but then you say Kingda Ka, which is longer, taller, and faster, is worse than TTD.

Your argument just doesn't make sense. I guess both Goliaths, Hollywood Dream: The Ride, Behemoth, and Diamondback are all worse than Silver Star because they are shorter and were built after it...?

Im about to make a fact right quick...

These same fanboys thats talking all this smack

and trash talk will be the same fanboys that's gong to be

crossing the states to Doswell, Va. next year to jump on this Monsta!

I still can't believe KD is getting a Giga, it's just phenomenal - I can't wait to ride this thing. And Carowinds' project is going to make for a helluva summer in 2010 around this area.

I305's 85* drop should be insane (think that view on MF!), and anyone who says you can't get air with an OTSR hasn't been on Time Machine in the back row or Storm Runner. And if it shares some qualities with Maverick (my #1 with SROS at SFNE), I'm all for it.

As for the name, it's brilliant. I know people who will go just because of the Nascar reference. Plus "Intimidator" isn't a bad standalone name at all.

Only suggestion I have is to turn the Congo into "Intamin" alley.

I can't wait to ride this, but I wonder which would have been the better option when it comes to the RIDE...

Intimidator 305 - Giant "Mega Lite" + Extra twists

OR

Intimidator "105" - Regular "Mega Lite"

Also saw that it only has TWO trains. Why not three?

And since the "#3" moniker is apparently owned by a company other than DEI (at least that's what I'm getting), I wonder if they'll add a 3 to the train...?

Highly unlikely as Richard Childress owns the 3, DEI has nothing in it, just the name of the company, which now is actually Earnhardt/Gannassi Racing....

I'm not sure why the "3" isn't on the train in the artwork, but:

DEI owns the likeness rights to Earnhardt, while Richard Childress Racing owns the rights to the No. 3. Steiner described the licensing agreement with Cedar Fair as a collaborative effort with RCR so that both marks — Earnhardt's likeness and the No. 3 — could be included in the deal.

Link

Also saw that it only has TWO trains. Why not three?

Most likely because there is no MCBR. You might also think "MF has no MCBR" but what it does have that I305 won't have is the double stations. That allows one train in the first station, one train in the second station, and one train on the brake run.

Wow, you hear the rumors about a Giga Coaster at KD for 2010, you read the press release and they are confirmed, you think "All right! as look at the POV and think this is gonna be awesome! Then you look at the train renderings and you cry...

A lot of people really hate those Intamin OSTRs, I haven't had TOO much a problem with them, but I agree with the others, why could the new El Toro/Bizarro lap bars not be used here?

Regardless, it looks absolutely insane. Seems a bit on the short side for some reason, but the elements look wild and it sounds like it might even be better than MF. It will be on my list of coasters to ride soon!

I mean, I don't LOVE the Intamin OTSR's, but I would much rather prefer a El Toro/Bizzaro lap bar.

Has anyone ever thought of this...

Take the newer generation Intamin OTSR's and basically take the shoulder bars off, leaving just the bar that touches your lap that you pull over your head. Does this make any sense at all? Would it still be safe? From what I remember the shoulder bar thingy was kind of useless, as in if it isn't really needed. Anyone?

Just a thought

Im wondering what this bad boy is going to bring once the sun sets... woooweee!

Good point. Since nobody's done any NL recreations yet I think I'll give it a go.

OHH YEEA!!!. Cant wait till a NL version is released of this MONSTA!

I'm already working on it & have gotten the lift,drop & pullout done,now I just gotta work on the first turn following the drop.I'm using two of the renderings of the ride layout as a rough guide but be forewarned that my coaster design skills in NL are still on the newbie side as evidenced by the complaints concerning the four rides I've uploaded to the games sub-forum so far.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but perhaps CF deserves some kudos for something else......the licensing deal itself. When you're all finished complaining, discussing, and comparing notes on restraints, etc., at the end of the day this is a huge victory for CF.

Over the last few years, the trend of snatching up notable "name brands" like Tony Hawk and Evel Knievel by SF seems to have worked fairly well. The names themselves draw attention to the project, and the ride itself doesn't really require extensive theming. Just slap some plywood cutouts and "storyboards" about their careers in the queues, and you're set.

With this one, CF landed the absolute goldmine of NASCAR, Dale Earnhardt. On top of that, their two huge new projects associated with his name and likeness are going into two prime areas for NASCAR fans. Let's face it, whether the rides actually crack coaster dork top 10 lists or not, CF just made a GREAT business decision.

/\

I feel like the only person on the whole site that LIKES Intamin OTSR's

This ride looks like pure awesome, cant wait for it to be open

No, I think theyre fine.

Guys, its not like its going to take Maverick sized transitions at 90mph. McVeens animations are always very pretty and well done but never exact and track shaping, while good, is never exact. I doubt a few of those transitions are as bad as they look.

Also, a few of those twists actually dont twist that bad as seen in the video. Sure it takes a lot of speed but the angles at which it twists entering and exiting will make for a smooth transition.