TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The only minor issue I have with the restraints is that, for me, they potentially turn this ride into a front seater. With Maverick, I really enjoy the coaster; however, only from the front seat, as it allows me to lean forward and anticipate the quick transitions and avoid the neck "snapage."

With i305, the height and similarity to MF suggest a back seat ride would be more enjoyable. But with these restraints, it may mean the same scenario as Maverick. And that would mean moving forward, thus eliminating the full effect of that killer first drop.

We'll see though. Maybe the longer trains will make it easier to anticipate the transitions up ahead. Either way, not a huge issue.

I'm not sure I would compare this to a Mega-Lite. Those coasters have about 9 moments of very extreme airtime and from watching the POV video, I'm not sure that KD's ride will deliver the same.

Looks like there will be 2, maybe 3 spots of good airtime, but not at all what the Mega Lite's deliver.

That's not a complaint or anything, just an observation and I want to make sure everyone knows what they are comparing the rides to. In fact, look at these two videos back to back and tell me if they look similar -

Intimidator 305:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=KD_POV_640x360_FlashHigh_hqse[/coastertube]

Kawasemi:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=kawasemi_1[/coastertube]

Everything sucks hghhhhyghhhhhhhhhhhhh

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype. √ CHECK

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video. √ CHECK

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

Is it too late to bring this classic quote back???

EDIT:

In all honesty, I think the coaster looks great!

- Sure the ride has OTSRs, but we're just gonna have to learn to live with it.

- Yeah the ride isn't located in the properly themed area, but since when did CF truly care about theming anyway?

- I love the minimal supports...

- Yeah the ride doesn't look like an airtime machine, but if the trains manage to take those bunny hops at a high speed, I definitely see some good airtime.

I'm just glad my second homepark is getting a giga coaster.

I think its weird that there are only 2 supports n the lift also. Maybe they plan to add more smaller supports and didn't diagram em...

Yes, they also forgot to diagram the huge garden gnomes, tunnel of fire, and Papa Smurf as the ride op. I'm sure they'll get around to it though.

Only time will tell,. I can't wait to ride this thing! Its going to have massive head banging if it has OTSR, just look at how jam packed that layout is.. imagine it at 90+ mph... I can feel the head/neck ache already lol

You don't take the whole ride at 90+MPH.

Anyone notice the pond in the animations? I guess they ran out of gravy & so the splashdown was cancelled '

I'm not sure I would compare this to a Mega-Lite. Those coasters have about 9 moments of very extreme airtime and from watching the POV video, I'm not sure that KD's ride will deliver the same.

Looks like there will be 2, maybe 3 spots of good airtime, but not at all what the Mega Lite's deliver.

That's not a complaint or anything, just an observation and I want to make sure everyone knows what they are comparing the rides to. In fact, look at these two videos back to back and tell me if they look similar

Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant the layout is similar to that of the Mega-Lite in the picture. I have not ridden a Mega-Lite or a 300ft giga yet so I would be in no way comparing the two... especially one that is not even built yet.

End of the day I see nothing but pro’s. 100% smart direction for the park, and the park’s future. PKD doesn’t have the best collection but a pretty good assortment of types which I love.

Color’s and theme, well… You know

But come on the CF red and yellows arguments are legit...

It’s not a bash of the ride, rather a.. I just don’t get it.

I still give CF props, they are getting better with this whole theme idea. And with this lower profile design keeping the ride as a ground hugger the budget hopefully will have enough peso’s left for some nice landscaping and grounds setup.

I don’t see how anyone in this rides market could not be happy.

If it’s that bad they can have Rockit and we will take the Intamin Giga

One positive about the restraints, no evil foot guards.

Is everyone forgetting that after the accident SROS, and MF got those evil uncomfortable foot guards.

I would rather have the OTSR than the footguards.

MF doesn't have "foot guards." The restraints are the same as when it opened in 2000, as far as I know.

I have to agree with Robb and everyone else who says that I don't find Intamin OTSRs to be that bad. I think KD has a winner on there hands for sure. I cant wait to ride it next year.

Also about the supports i'm pretty sure Intamin knows what they are doing if they are only going to have those few supports, I mean they are arguably one of the largest coaster design companies in the world. Thats just my take.

In Intamin I Trust

Great addition KD.

I don't get the whole nascar theme? It does not fit in with the congo theme in that section of the park at all.

A simple re-theme is all it takes. Just add a dark ride shooter themed to deer huntin', a splash battle themed to bass fishin', and call it "Redneck Alley."

One positive about the restraints, no evil foot guards.

Is everyone forgetting that after the accident SROS, and MF got those evil uncomfortable foot guards.

I would rather have the OTSR than the footguards.

MF did not. And having been on a few rides with the intamin OTSR and SROS @ SFA with the leg guards I'd much rather have leg guards, not even close.