TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The PP animations had the same restraints that you see on the Intimidator videos and it wound up having the new overhead lapbars.

The guy that does the animations apparently hasn't figured out a way to reproduce the new restraint system.

Ummmmm.....what?

Whoops! Prepare your necks for a karate choppin'.

I think its weird that there are only 2 supports n the lift also. Maybe they plan to add more smaller supports and didn't diagram em... Only time will tell,. I can't wait to ride this thing! Its going to have massive head banging if it has OTSR, just look at how jam packed that layout is.. imagine it at 90+ mph... I can feel the head/neck ache already lol

The lift hill supporting is more than fine the way it is, Desperado has been standing like this all these years.

I don't want to beat a dead horse too much, but why does Maverick's trains have the description - Fiberglass and steel coaches with over-the-shoulder restraints and interlocking seat belts - when this ride is specifically described as not featuring over the should restraints? It just seems completely bizarre to me.

Either way, w/e, we'll see I suppose.

I don't think that a design could ever exists that doesn't bum people out.

A 300' mega-lite is underwhelming? Enough said.

And hasn't the OTSR issue been thoroughly debunked by now? It's safe to assume that our necks won't have to worry about transition karate chops on this ride.

Debunked how so? All we have is conflicting pictures and hearsay thus far.

OMFG! Please stop!

No, there is no confliting picutres or hearsay. The restraints look like this:

DEAL WITH IT!

TPR Moderators - please delete any further posts that discuss the "conflict or hearsay" about the restraints.

--Robb

Ugh, can we stop talking about the lack of supports and talk more about the crummy restraints?

No! The lift hill could possibly fall, this is a serious matter! We all know that teenagers posting on some coaster forum have more knowledge about it than Intamin engineers.

Robb, you just might have to make it so whenever the word "restraint" is typed, some random funny line comes up...just like a certain word that begins with the letter "L." Hmm...

I think its weird that there are only 2 supports n the lift also. Maybe they plan to add more smaller supports and didn't diagram em...

Yes, they also forgot to diagram the huge garden gnomes, tunnel of fire, and Papa Smurf as the ride op. I'm sure they'll get around to it though.

Only time will tell,. I can't wait to ride this thing! Its going to have massive head banging if it has OTSR, just look at how jam packed that layout is.. imagine it at 90+ mph... I can feel the head/neck ache already lol

You don't take the whole ride at 90+MPH.

Why did it have to be OTSR's? The layout looks awesome. Not that impressive at first glance but it is going to have a Maverick feel to it since there doesn't seem to be another hill thats half as big as the first drop and tons of back to back turns. The airtime on some of those hills is looking to be throw your crotch into the restraint ejector air. Can't wait to ride it!

Oh yeah and as for the supports, it seems like the track has been built to be rigid enough to span that kind of distance between those supports, which I think is pretty damn cool from a structural point of view. Not the easiest thing to do, but probably saves on material.

Robb, you just might have to make it so whenever the word "restraint" is typed, some random funny line comes up...just like a certain word that begins with the letter "L." Hmm...

I'm fine if people want to discuss the restraints, as in the restraints shown in the photo, but I'm sick of the CSI-like detective work going on by people trying to convince themselves those aren't going to be the actual restraints on the ride.

Unless KD releases another official photo showing a different restraint, those are the restraints this coaster is getting.

There is no conflicting information. THOSE ARE THE RESTRAINTS!!!

Any further discussion about this will be deleted.

--Robb

Ugh, can we stop talking about the lack of supports and talk more about the crummy restraints?

Agreed! I can understand tbars are not accomadating to a lot of people but the intamin "over the shoulder lapbars" are going to suck on a ride like this, especially a few years after the ride opens when it starts to rattle.

I think its weird that there are only 2 supports n the lift also. Maybe they plan to add more smaller supports and didn't diagram em...

Yes, they also forgot to diagram the huge garden gnomes, tunnel of fire, and Papa Smurf as the ride op. I'm sure they'll get around to it though.

Or the brick wall the train crashes through on the brake run.

^ I like them, I don't mind Intamin OTSRs one bit.

Oh yeah and as for the supports, it seems like the track has been built to be rigid enough to span that kind of distance between those supports, which I think is pretty damn cool from a structural point of view. Not the easiest thing to do, but probably saves on material.

I also like how it allows that airtime hill to go right under the lift like nothing. That looks like a pretty massive hill, and it probably couldn't have been accomplished if there were more supports on the lift.

Agreed! I can understand tbars are not accomadating to a lot of people but the intamin "over the shoulder lapbars" are going to suck on a ride like this, especially a few years after the ride opens when it starts to rattle.

Totally agree with you there.

I feel like the only person on the whole site that LIKES Intamin OTSR's

I also do not have an issue with them.

Sure, I'd rather have no OTSR's, but I personally prefer these to a lot of other restraints - Vekoma SLC's, Arrow trains, etc, etc...

Ever since they appeared on Storm Runner, I have never had a problem with them at all.

And here's the other thing, I'd rather have an Intamin hyper coaster WITH these restraints than have NO Intamin hyper coaster at all.

--Robb "Just trying to be more glass half full about this..." Alvey

And here's the other thing, I'd rather have an Intamin hyper coaster WITH these restraints than have NO Intamin hyper coaster at all.

--Robb "Just trying to be more glass half full about this..." Alvey

Quoted. For. Truth.

Another Intamin, that looks like it should be an absolutely sick ride, Within acceptable driving distance from me, ESPECIALLY with carowinds new ride coming in, is plenty for me to drool over

Complainers should be grateful they are even MAKING this investment, for the position they are in, as much as i may not like CF

^^ Exactly what I was just about to say. That's why I think this ride is going to rock considering all the rave reviews from the standard Mega-Lites, and then you get this one that bypasses the 200' mark and skips right ahead to 300'+.

I don't base anything the ride offers off of the animation. I mean the 2nd hill after the sweeping turn looks to be about 1/2 the height of the initial hill so I think it should be some sick airtime on this thing. Love how everything stays really close to the ground to give that insane sense of speed. It all seems non stop to me. If you aren't speeding around a curve or launching through a quick transitions, than you are getting tossed out of your seat with some great airtime. Something that is greatly lacking at this park it seems.

For all the people who are wondering about the support structure. Take a look at the aerial animation (I think it was that one) and as the train goes by the station you can see the lift structure going to the ground to be attached to the footer. As others have said, many rides have large open sections, Desperado, X2 and others. Seems like the track will have enough built in support and strength to have that few of supports. Which makes the ride look even cooler in my book.

Looking at the layout it reminds me of this which is a great thing in my book.

A megalite on steroids

That's a great point you made! I knew when I saw the renderings they looked pretty familiar. I'll probably head out east next year to ride this puppy. Should be a good one!

megalit_156.jpeg.4f9a5bc596d5938c5505da26ac10e482.jpeg