TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Take it for what its worth but a couple of sites are saying that Jeff Steiner and Taylor Earnhardt of Dale Earnhardt Inc. will be at the announcement on Thursday which goes along with the media invite shaped like a car.

I haven't seen anything that proves it so it might just be people posting for fun which happens alot.

This what was in the email I recieved...

Kings Dominion’s Largest Capital Investment in its 35-Year History - Announcement Event

WHAT:

Kings Dominion will host a press conference event to announce 2010 capital investment plans. This project is Kings Dominion’s largest capital investment in its 35-Year history.

Interview opportunities with special guests:

(Guest list subject to change without notice)

Honorable Bill Bolling

Lieutenant Governor

Commonwealth of Virginia

Richard Zimmerman

Regional Vice President

Cedar Fair Entertainment Co.

Pat Jones

Vice President and General Manager

Kings Dominion Amusement Park

Jeff Steiner

Executive Vice President and General Manager

Dale Earnhardt Inc.

Taylor Earnhardt

Roller Coaster Enthusiast Club Reps

Full media kit will be available, including HI-Def B-Roll, computer animations and renderings.

Lunch will be provided.

Please contact KDPR@kingsdominion.com or 804.876.5115 to RSVP or if you have any additional needs to complete your story.

WHEN:

August 20, 2009

11:00am

WHERE:

Kings Dominion

Grande Bandstand

Doswell, Virginia

Well yeah, but if it involves his name and is "themed" around or has anything to do with his father, you think he would at least be invited....

After the way things ended between Junior and DEI there's no way he'd be invited. Junior's not a fan of his stepmom and vice versa. (I hope this knowledge doesn't make me come off as a NASCAR fan. I hate the sport but I follow enough sports to know about this.)

(I hope this knowledge doesn't make me come off as a NASCAR fan. I hate the sport but I follow enough sports to know about this.)

As everyone should...I'm surprised at some of the basic sports knowledge that most people on here don't know.

Not to mention the Sprint Cup usually has practice on Thursday. The race is sort of nearby in Bristol, TN, but I doubt he'd have time to make an appearance even if he wanted to.

Well yeah, but if it involves his name and is "themed" around or has anything to do with his father, you think he would at least be invited....

He may have been invited, he may have denied the invite, he may be busy at the carowinds media day...

Intimidator as a name is looking good.

Dominator and Intimidator at the same park. It screams CF to me.

Years ago when Junior was a Busch Series driver, his nickname was Dominator as a play on Intimidator of Dale SR. ... not that this means anything in relation to the naming of the ride, but just a little NASCAR trivia for all of you.

As everyone should...I'm surprised at some of the basic sports knowledge that most people on here don't know.

...really? That must be quite the bubble you live in. Sorry to be a bit off topic but there are lots of people all around you who couldn't care less about sports. At all. Just like there are people who couldn't name two roller coasters. Why would anyone here necessarily be more interested in sports than someone from any other group? If I had to guess it actually makes sense that people would generally be way less interested...

Whatever the height is going to be, I'd think it would be pretty cool if they hand some balloons to show how high next year's ride will be.

Actually I don't think that would quite work. A balloon high up against the sky wouldn't really give an effective sense of scale because it wouldn't be next to anything. I think anything over a certain altitude would just look "really high" but I don't really think the human eye can really eyeball that effectively without something to compare it to.

I guess they could do the balloon next to the park's Eiffel Tower but then they might as well just say "almost as tall as the Eiffel Tower" or "taller than the Eiffel Tower" or however tall it's going to be. Lots of parks when building big rides have done a chart saying what other recognizable structures the ride is bigger than.

Whatever the height is going to be, I'd think it would be pretty cool if they hand some balloons to show how high next year's ride will be.

That would actually be a good idea at the announcement since it would be right next to the Eiffel Tower and people could see the difference (If the rumors are true about the height). But I would say there is 0.1% chance of them doing that.

Actually I don't think that would quite work. A balloon high up against the sky wouldn't really give an effective sense of scale because it wouldn't be next to anything. I think anything over a certain altitude would just look "really high" but I don't really think the human eye can really eyeball that effectively without something to compare it to.

I guess they could do the balloon next to the park's Eiffel Tower but then they might as well just say "almost as tall as the Eiffel Tower" or "taller than the Eiffel Tower" or however tall it's going to be. Lots of parks when building big rides have done a chart saying what other recognizable structures the ride is bigger than.

In 1999, the year before SFA built SROS, they had two red balloons depicting the height of the lift hill as SFA tried to get approval for the coaster.

In 1999, the year before SFA built SROS, they had two red balloons depicting the height of the lift hill as SFA tried to get approval for the coaster.

If it was during the approval process it may have possibly been for research purposes to see how it would effect the area's skyline?

Supports are being moved back into the site area where the footers are poured.

WOAH! So you're suggesting they're gonna follow traditional coaster building plans on this one? I tell ya, it's easy to see why Intamin builds great stuff. Those guys are always one step ahead of everyone else. I hope this whole "supports on top of footers" works out well. It could revolutionize the industry.