TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Um, dude....either you didn't read the links or you seriously missed the entire point. Canada's Wonderland has had better attendance than any of the old Paramount Parks, and all of the Cedar Fair parks except Knott's. If you actually looked at the links in my post, which were the attendance ranks from 2005-2007 (aka before Behemoth), Canada's Wonderland is always ahead of Cedar Point and all of the Paramount parks.

And King's Dominion isn't in the Top 20 at all.

Um, dude....either you didn't read the links or you seriously missed the entire point. Canada's Wonderland has had better attendance than any of the old Paramount Parks, and all of the Cedar Fair parks except Knott's. If you actually looked at the links in my post, which were the attendance ranks from 2005-2007 (aka before Behemoth), Canada's Wonderland is always ahead of Cedar Point and all of the Paramount parks.

May I point out that Canada's Wonderland only has one park to compete with (La Ronde). While the other former 4 Paramount Parks have Cedar Point, Busch Gardens Europe, Six Flags America, Freestyle Music Park, Dollywood, Disneyland, Knotts, etc. Also, while Kings Dominion is not the top Paramount Park, I would bet that the addition of Dominator, 3 water rides, 2 flat rides, and a Giga Coaster (everything added after Paramount left) would make it the best or at least second.

May I point out that Canada's Wonderland only has one park to compete with (La Ronde). While the other former 4 Paramount Parks have Cedar Point, Busch Gardens Europe, Six Flags America, Freestyle Music Park, Dollywood, Disneyland, Knotts, etc. Also, while Kings Dominion is not the top Paramount Park, I would bet that the addition of Dominator, 3 water rides, 2 flat rides, and a Giga Coaster (everything added after Paramount left) would make it the best or at least second.

Or last.

May I point out to you exactly what you said.

That is obviously because they added Behemoth, they have higher attendance than Cedar Point as well.

But this is not true. Canada's Wonderland attendance has, for *at least* the past 6-8 years, been higher than King's Dominion, regardless of any additions either park has made.

Don't stay stuff that's not true.

KD isn't even in the top 20 parks in North America, according to the link you supplied (BG in Williamsburg is ranked 17th, though). I don't know where KD ranks in relation to this list, so I couldn't hazard a guess as to how a giga might boost their attendance to top-20 levels.

It's all a very big "maybe."

Canada's Wonderland attendance has, for *at least* the past 6-8 years, been higher than King's Dominion, regardless of any additions either park has made.

You could say that CW being on top of KD in attendance for years prior to this is a preexisting condition.

This attendance stuff is interesting! Especially Canadas Wonderland doesn't have many competitiors, besides Darien Lake and La Ronde, they actually do an amazing job getting people!

I am surprised how low Cedar Point is, comparing to how many coasters it has, kinda shows that maybe adding a Giga to KD might not bring a higher attendance since CP isn't too high and they also have strata and 2 more coasters over 200 feet..

It's going to take more than this giga to spike KD's attendance to top 20 levels. It depends on what other additions and plans the park receives over the next several years. It will be a mult-year process for KD to become "the Cedar Point of the East Coast" (not sure where that oft-quoted phrase comes from). Dominator and Project 2010 are only the beginning.

Canada's Wonderland attendance has, for *at least* the past 6-8 years, been higher than King's Dominion, regardless of any additions either park has made.

You could say that CW being on top of KD in attendance for years prior to this is a preexisting condition.

My good friend is an attendance statistician, I always ask him about potential attendance jumps before I post on the boards.

I am surprised how low Cedar Point is, comparing to how many coasters it has, kinda shows that maybe adding a Giga to KD might not bring a higher attendance since CP isn't too high and they also have strata and 2 more coasters over 200 feet..

It shows that coasters are not the only thing that brings people to parks. Look at the top 20 in attendance minus a few and tell me what they all have in common? Theme, a great family atmosphere, rides, shows, etc.

KD has the coasters, but not much else to offer.

It shows that coasters are not the only thing that brings people to parks. Look at the top 20 in attendance minus a few and tell me what they all have in common? Theme, a great family atmosphere, rides, shows, etc.

KD has the coasters, but not much else to offer.

Precisely.

KD is not a destination park like BGE. BGE is tied heavily to the tidewater tourism areas of VA. This includes Colonial Williamsburg, the large shopping outlet district, VA Beach, museums, nature center, and the largest population center in VA (Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and VA beach).

Since KD is not a destination park, it does not get the same pool of possible visitors that BGE gets. I believe the best attendance figures that KD experienced in its entire existence was between 2.2 to 2.3 million visitors in one year. My guess is that KD currently gets between 1.9 to 2.1 million visitors a year. Paramount did some damage with the placement and types rides over the years. The destruction of the entertainment division under Paramount did not help either.

CF is making inroads to improving the park experience since they took over the Paramount chain almost 3 years ago. But, it still is going to take a few more years (4-5) to shake off the "Paramount stigma" in the eyes of the GP.

Yeah I go to BGE and KD on vacation and we alternate every year. The past 3 yrs we have only gone to BGE because everyone thinks it's so much better then KD.

This year i've convinced them to go back due to this giga but it definitely doesn't get the attendence that BGE does. It is due to the Williamsburg area and nothing in Richmond but the only way they can boost is adding and explanding to get more people to come - families mainly.