TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

King's Dominion's website lists the Eiffel Tower's observation deck at 275 feet and Drop Tower as 305 feet tall with a drop of 272 feet.

So now the question is how tall is the top of the Eiffel Tower?

The year prior to Drop Zone/Drop Tower whatever they had a large blue sign that compared the height of the ride to the Eiffel Tower at the park and the United States Capitol Building.

Wikipedia lists the height of the Dome at 288 feet but doesn't mention whether or not that includes the statue at the top.

The aoc.gov website lists the height as 287 feet statue included.

While I don't remember the order of the Eiffel Tower/Capitol/Drop ride on the blue sign, it just doesn't seem logical that Drop ride wouldn't be the tallest on a comparison sign.

I think Eiffel Tower is 280 and Drop Zone is 310, maybe 320.

I'm not 100% sure on this so if someone knows for sure, step on up.

The Drop Tower itself is 305 feet tall. It drops from 272 feet. That's the height that the ride ops give when they tell you about the ride on the way up.

All those suggestive "teasers" they put up for Maverick didn't tell me a darn thing about what the final ride was gonna be like.

I don't know. I guess maybe it's just me, but dropping a crapload of brand new bright red Intamin track in the parking lot midway through the season, with a suggestive shipping label reading "Giga," and clearing out a huge plot of land is a good enough teaser. But again, maybe that's just me.

^Why wouldnt it? It allows ample time to vet the future employee and train him/her

Think about it, on the job page, wouldn't they specify that it takes 1 whole year of job training. That seems like a major detail to me, that they would not leave out.

It may not necessarily take a year of job training, they may just be taking resumes and getting back to the people later in the year. Plus the mechanic doesnt have to ONLY work on the new ride, he/she can get started before it opens.

I'm really surprised with the teasers we saw for Diamondback and Prowler that we haven't seen anything like it yet at KD.

Different parks will do different things. Carowinds is putting out teasers, KD got the track in the parking lot. Think about it, the track shows up 2+ months before vertical construction. As BeemerBoy pointed out, that is enough of a teaser.

^Why wouldnt it? It allows ample time to vet the future employee and train him/her

Think about it, on the job page, wouldn't they specify that it takes 1 whole year of job training. That seems like a major detail to me, that they would not leave out.

Why would it take a year of training? If you get hired you will be working on all the attractions in the park, 2 of which are already over 300 feet tall. They would be working on many rides, including the new ride.

I think that posting tell us as much as the giga label did. Just adding more evidence towards how high it may be.

It's been pointed out to me that Cedar Fair posted a job June 29th, 2009 on the corporate website with a minimum requirement being able to climb up to 350 feet.

Here's a link to the Job site:

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/careers/permanent.cfm

And the link to the Rides Electrian:

http://www.cedarfair.com/_upload/contacts/kd%20rideelec%207-09.pdf

They did the same thing when they were geting ready to build Behemoth at CW. It just means they are hiring maintenance staff. I wouldn't take this as so much of a hint....

David

I don't see why people (especially at KDfansite) are so thrilled about finding a job opening. It says they've got to be able to climb to 350 feet, and the Eiffel Tower is 332. Do you really expect them to tell someone 'You can only work here if you can climb to exactly 332 feet?'

I'm sure that this thing'll be at least 350', but whoever they hire isn't going to stand only around the giga and wait for a breakdown. They're going to be scaling the Eiffel Tower too, which is almost 350' tall. Simple.

I just meant that this doesn't confirm anything in terms of the coaster. People are getting all worked up about how this thing is clearly going to be 350' tall, but that job opening is just giving a general, rounded height. I mean, this thing could be ten feet tall, but if the park puts up a job opening for a ride mechanic it's still going to say 'up to 350 feet' because of other stuff in the park. I dunno, I guess I just don't see the significance. But that's cool, 'cause there's only two weeks left!

I just meant that this doesn't confirm anything in terms of the coaster. People are getting all worked up about how this thing is clearly going to be 350' tall, but that job opening is just giving a general, rounded height. I mean, this thing could be ten feet tall, but if the park puts up a job opening for a ride mechanic it's still going to say 'up to 350 feet' because of other stuff in the park. I dunno, I guess I just don't see the significance. But that's cool, 'cause there's only two weeks left!

^ agreed.

The job opening was for a general height. There were other things before this coaster that were almost near 350 (Eifel Tower, Drop Zone, ect).

Why would it take a year of training? If you get hired you will be working on all the attractions in the park, 2 of which are already over 300 feet tall. They would be working on many rides, including the new ride.

I think that posting tell us as much as the giga label did. Just adding more evidence towards how high it may be.

If you noticed, that was exactly my point. Anyway, on some forum (I dont remember which one), someone said that there is a new permit titled "2010 Coaster+Station" on Hanover County's Site that estimates the completion date at December of 2010. For those of you who are a bit slow, if it was to be built and open for 2010, the completion date should have been estimated for December 2009 (they make it early to give construction some wiggle room, for weather, etc.) My personal opinion, maybe they are constructing a new section of the park around the Giga, and it will not be done until 2011 (more attractions, restrooms, food, etc.).

If you noticed, that was exactly my point. Anyway, on some forum (I dont remember which one), someone said that there is a new permit titled "2010 Coaster+Station" on Hanover County's Site that estimates the completion date at December of 2010. For those of you who are a bit slow, if it was to be built and open for 2010, the completion date should have been estimated for December 2009 (they make it early to give construction some wiggle room, for weather, etc.) My personal opinion, maybe they are constructing a new section of the park around the Giga, and it will not be done until 2011 (more attractions, restrooms, food, etc.).

Well they did build the Anaconda one summer and leave it halfassed until the next season!! LMAO

I want to ask all of you something. Would you rather have a B & M flyer (given how good Manta is supposed to be) or a new gigacoaster? Just a thought since it appears not everyone likes MF.

Cause this ride is going to be identical to MF?

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that MF will still outrank Manta, maybe not this year on the Hawker poll since Manta still has its new coaster smell, but MF has a huge loyal fanbase.

I want to ask all of you something. Would you rather have a B & M flyer (given how good Manta is supposed to be) or a new gigacoaster? Just a thought since it appears not everyone likes MF.

A giga coaster. Millennium Force is a great ride that nearly everyone seems to love. Whether it's their #1 coaster, one of their favorites, or just a really fun ride that they think is forceless ( ), it's good. I don't think Manta even has a chance of beating it in the Mitch Hawker Poll (because MF has been very highly rated in the past couple years) and there is a good chance that this giga coaster will be even better than MF...it has been 10 years afterall.