TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

All the UFO talk on KD's twitter doesn't necessarily mean that the new coaster is going to be space-themed.

A couple months ago there was a supposed UFO sighting at KD (http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/UFO_at_kings_dominion_2009_06_15) and KD has been making tongue-in-cheek comments about it since.

That doesn't mean it's not a possibility, but I don't think KD's tweets necessarily provide hard evidence of how the new coaster will be themed.

I remember that of course, but maybe the entire "UFO sighting" was KD version of a virile campaign type of thing? With it being right next to FoF I'm essentially looking at it as being something similar to what KI did with Firehawk. I'm basically expecting it to loosely tie into the area along those lines.

No matter who said there's going to be a space theme, it's not really credible. But it's completely plausible, so why count it out? Right now the ONLY place that this thing could have it's station without the construction of a 200-foot pier over (Lake Charles?) is near the FOF 'base.' So why not tie it in? Give it a name like Infinity or some junk like that and call it a day. No themeing necessary, just a cool logo and a kickass, tall ride that advertises itself to the millions of people driving I95 everyday. Done.

Say that to FoF next to Volcano, Avalanche, Anaconda and Backlot Stunt Coaster. There is no set theme back there.

Right...haha. I guess that I just told myself that they didn't put an air base and paved road in the Congo. Wishful thinking that they could integrate a bit better, I suppose.

Quite frankly I couldn't care less if this thing has a theme or all or if it's got a queue and a metal box station like SROS. Themes are great and all, and they really help some rides, but really. If this thing is a #1 coaster, it's going to be a #1 coaster with or without a hardcore space theme. Just check out Millie and SROS.

16 days.

It depends on the ride. For example, Backlot Stunt Coaster is a much better ride when all the effects work. Without them, it's rather "blah." Black Mamba at Phantasialand is a good (not great) ride on its own, but the themeing raises it up a notch (at least for me).

IMO, theming has to be done really really well for it to even matter. Otherwise to me it goes un-noticed.

Take DD at IOA or Revenge of the Mummy at USF.

Cedar Fair will never build a coaster with theming like the two coasters mentioned above so it doesn't even matter.

Dear Cedar Fair,

Please quit pretending to "theme" things. Just build a good coaster, give it a decent queue and station with plenty of fans and ventilation, and call it a day.

Yours Truly,

Maverick

P.S. Dick Kinzel would rather spend the extra million on more track anyway.

My hopes for any theming of substance at KD died when they turned Yogi's Cave into Treasure Cave.

I still haven't forgiven KD for this. Even if they lost the rights to use Yogi Bear, they could have put in just a little bit more effort and come up with something more clever than "Treasure Cave."

My hopes for any theming of substance at KD died when they turned Yogi's Cave into Treasure Cave.

I still haven't forgiven KD for this. Even if they lost the rights to use Yogi Bear, they could have put in just a little bit more effort and come up with something more clever than "Treasure Cave."

Can I also throw in Drop Zone, to Drop Tower. With that effort, they should have re-named Italian Job, Roller Coaster.

This is what my coaster eye is showing me. Even though I do not want it to be a vertical lift. I just cant see a typical "giga" lift fitting within this footprint, but then again... I could be wrong. With that large hole to the left of Anaconda, I really see the lift crest of the supports going there. Now, this is what I see only for the main footprint. What do u think? (disregard the black supports, even though it looks better )

That looks like a kick-ass layout, would you mind doing a picture of the complete layout from a top view? I'm trying to recreate it in No limits (coaster simulator)

Being a coaster enthusiast, I could care less about theme, as long as a 350 feet tall beast is standing next to Anaconda in 2010.

If you "could care less", then why not go ahead and do it? Personally, I "couldn't" care less.

Sorry...it's just a pet peeve of mine.

I see no reason to go beyond the steepness of MF's drop. It practically feels straight down and I wouldn't want anything that would risk the need for OTSR's. It seems like the park, if they are building a 300+ footer, should be aiming for something that's huge but still rideable for a large percentage of their guests. Much like MF, once people get over the size and first drop it's really a honey of a ride.

Just a bit more than two weeks left until the announcement.

While the last layout looks great, I can't wait to put an end to all the speculation.

I'm really surprised with the teasers we saw for Diamondback and Prowler that we haven't seen anything like it yet at KD.

It's been pointed out to me that Cedar Fair posted a job June 29th, 2009 on the corporate website with a minimum requirement being able to climb up to 350 feet.

Here's a link to the Job site:

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/careers/permanent.cfm

And the link to the Rides Electrian:

http://www.cedarfair.com/_upload/contacts/kd%20rideelec%207-09.pdf