TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Yes. Carowinds is the king of relocated Vekomas. Lets see: Cobra, Nighthawk, the two biggest Vekomas in the park are both relocated. And Carowinds' last "new coaster", that wasn't relocated, was a Vekoma Family coaster back 6 years ago in 2003. Talk about forgotten by Paramount, but I'm getting off topic....

For the sake of KD, I hope they never end up like that.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've spent over a decade on another internet message board and have finally decided to make the switch.

I've been reading this thread daily since the post showed the washers with the giga label.

I went to King's Dominion today for the first time since the track showed up.

From what I could tell from Anaconda's lift...

There is now a clear layout of footers that indicate to me there is a helix heading into the final brake run and a sharp turn 90 degrees to the left (to the right if you're standing on Anaconda's exit platform.

The sharp turn into the station does not have footers. There is a trough to show this turn.

I couldn't see much else from Anaconda either than the size of this site. It's much bigger than the pics that have been posted show. The site of the site is impressive.

I did not see any pink stakes near or under Anaconda.

While riding Rebel Yell (North side), on the turn around I spotted one large square footer that I'd guesstimate was 20'x20'.

While it was a very brief look I got at this footer, I couldn't see any evidence of any other footers that size that have yet to been poured.

My first thought was that the size of the footer would be comparable for the lift structure style on MF at the base.

My second thought concludes that not only will the layout featuring the helix into the brakes, the sharp left turn, the station which start about 30 yards southeast of Anaconda's station, and the lift running straight out of the station headiing south towards Rebel Yell's turn around.

There wasn't too much land clearence between Rebel Yell's turn around and the waterslides for the waterpark. I'm guessing after the first drop there will be a high speed hign banked turn to the left heading east towards the rest of the course that will be all that cleared land in the distance.

We're due for another podcast or kdfansite pics any day know that can confirm this.

^Interesting info. A large, 20x20 footer... Sounds like that could be the central footer for a hammerhead turn. Any idea if it looked anything like the one in the lower left corner here? Or did you not get a clear enough look?

No. It was a perfect square.

Similar to what would be the base for a MF lift support.

Without having another footer being poured, one cannot rule out that this *could* be a vertical lift.

Once more footers of this size arrive, I think we can throw out the vertical lift theory.

You have to remember though that things have changed in regards to Millie's construction and KD's. I'd imagine the new giga's footers might be different.

Very true, looking at the track itself and the parts we've seen so far its hard to say how similar these rides will be constructed.

It's almost like comparing apples to oranges

...or Hershey Park to SF Great Adventure.

KD is to far inland for it to be affected by hurricanes.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. If Raleigh could be affected in NC, I know Doswell could if the storm came in from the Virginia coastline.

Hurricane Isabel struck the Richmond area head-on in 2003, as did Hurricane Gaston in 2004, Hurricane Fran in 1996, and Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

It does get hurricanes occasionally... even strong ones. Remember, the west wall of the hurricane is the strongest.

Hurricane Isabel struck the Richmond area head-on in 2003, as did Hurricane Gaston in 2004, Hurricane Fran in 1996, and Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

It does get hurricanes occasionally... even strong ones. Remember, the west wall of the hurricane is the strongest.

No no, the NE side of a hurricane/tropical cyclone is the strongest.