TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I personally believe that if M&M posts here again, then there is a chance that this might be true. If not, then that and all the holes in the story would be too much evidence to keep me from believing it's just someone posting to get a reaction.

Sorry, Mindy.

True it would seem impossible that a coaster of this height could attain the stated speed through just gravity.

However, I also have a very reputable source that tells me that Kings Dominion has hired a legion (that's 3,000 - 4,000) of midgets, dwarves or vertically challenged indidviduals. These individuals will work in shifts and push the cosater cars down the first drop, creating a human powered launch. Yes, times are tough with this economy and little people don't eat much and they have been contracted to work only for food. The Lollipop Guild had no choice, it's tough to get work nowadays, so this will save Cedar Fair and Kings Dominion on the total cost of the ride.

418654514_LollipopGuild.jpg.6939346e2b8d7fbc5eac0362d4d06ac3.jpg

We Will Work for Food!

True it would seem impossible that a coaster of this height could attain the stated speed through just gravity.

However, I also have a very reputable source that tells me that Kings Dominion has hired a legion (that's 3,000 - 4,000) of midgets, dwarves or vertically challenged indidviduals. These individuals will work in shifts and push the cosater cars down the first drop, creating a human powered launch. Yes, times are tough with this economy and little people don't eat much and they have been contracted to work only for food. The Lollipop Guild had no choice, it's tough to get work nowadays, so this will save Cedar Fair and Kings Dominion on the total cost of the ride.

Laser Snake Midgets on Fire?

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband works for KD. I am sorry to disappoint everyone, but the coaster being built is not going to me a true Giga Coaster. Some of you may have seen a photo of a shipping document attached to some parts in the parking lot. I can confirm the Coaster is manufactured by Intamin. The Coaster's track was designed by the "Giga" division to save money and fit it into the foot print available at the park. The coaster will have some very unique properties never seen before. It will be similar to coasters at other parks including KI, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland. Some other things I can confirm:

The coaster will be between 230 feet and 240 feet high with the first drop of approximately 235 feet. Top speed 90 mph. Angle of Descent almost 90 degrees. If all goes well, the coaster's Opening day will be Saturday May 22, 2010. So mark you rcalendars.

From Intamin AG's Website: PLEASE NOTE! THIS IS THE MF DATA QUOTED!

The newly developed Giga Coaster belongs to the family of ultra high coasters with a first-drop of 92 m (300 ft) resulting in train speeds of 150 km/h (94 mph). The layout is characterised by steep hills and drops, high speed horizontal turns at, or tremendously close to, ground level and various over banked curves. As there are no classic overhead figures foreseen, open design trains with lap bars can be used to further enhance the thrill experience.

Technical Data

Height of lift 94 m (308 ft

Length of primary track 2010 m (6595 ft)

No. of trains 3

Capacity per vehicle 4 passengers

Number of vehicles per train 9

Capacity per train 36 passengers

Max. speed 150 km/h (94 mph)

Lift angle 45 degrees

Height of first drop 92 m (300 ft)

Drop angle first drop 80 degrees

Theoretical capacity 1650 passengers per hour

Being a fervent optimist, and having SEEN the 'Giga' label pictures, I'm still tending to belive we're in for something VERY VERY big- Perhaps not my 'ideal' 480 footer, but then again, I can't have everything. I do find it very interesting that Intamin classifies Giga as being over 300 feet- which tends to make me thing that they're headed north of that direction at this point. Assuming that the lift is steeper than MF, it -IS- Feasable that they could use the existing site for the lift and first drop- and mind you, they're still doing things to the site as we're reading/commenting on this.

^They can't be oompa loompas because oompa loompas can't go hungry due to them living in a chocolate factory. Obviously someone hasnt studied up on his/her midgetology

Wonka might've laid them off, you know--times are hard.

My husband works for KD. Please don't ask for any additional information.

Then it goes on to say...

This is all my DH authorized me to release.

All the best,

Mindy

Which one is it...or is your husband your DH...

My husband works for KD. I am sorry to disappoint everyone, but the coaster being built is not going to me a true Giga Coaster. Some of you may have seen a photo of a shipping document attached to some parts in the parking lot. I can confirm the Coaster is manufactured by Intamin. The Coaster's track was designed by the "Giga" division to save money and fit it into the foot print available at the park. The coaster will have some very unique properties never seen before. It will be similar to coasters at other parks including KI, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland. Some other things I can confirm:

The coaster will be between 230 feet and 240 feet high with the first drop of approximately 235 feet. Top speed 90 mph. Angle of Descent almost 90 degrees. If all goes well, the coaster's Opening day will be Saturday May 22, 2010. So mark you rcalendars.

Stay tuned. KD will issue a former news release in the coming weeks.

Also, there may be a contest to name the new coaster. Marketing is working on how that will be rolled out and all the details. The person or group who wins the naming contest will get the first ride when the coaster officially opens in May of 2010.

Please don't ask for any additional information. This is all my DH authorized me to release.

All the best,

Mindy

We will see if you are telling the truth August 20th. Till then, You are just some person lying to get attention.

^You can't be that hostile against someone, what if she actually is telling the truth?

I am not being hostile, I did not accuse her of lying. I am just saying the only thing I trust at this point is a Press Release from Kings Dominion. We will see if she is correct and legit in due time.

" Till then, You are just some person lying to get attention."

I'm confused.

Gosh. I really dislike posts like that. "My blah works at the park! *gives facts*" and then turns out none of what they say is true.

Does Intamin even have a Giga division?

I know, it is almost like they think we are stupid! As for the division, as far as I know, Intamin has a designing division, and a Track Making Division. That is it. I am holding out my opinion of this lady until the official announcement is made though.

As for Atem, I am saying she should be considered a lier no matter what until the announcement is made, we should only trust something straight from Kings Dominion, not on a forum.

Ok fellas I just got in from a visit to KD last night. Not much to report from yesterday's update via Clint.

1 - HOLY SH** that track is MASSIVE!! This is the first time I had seen it "live" and I am shocked at how beefy this stuff is. I have not seen track like it before and it puts the whimpy "Intamin square box" to shame.

2 - No new track on site or supports from yesterday.

3 - No major changes to the construction site either. Some more footers yes. The one thing I will note is that there sure looks to be some serious "underground" work going on running parallel to Ananconda's lift.

There is a HUGE square shaped hole dug out with the green backhoe. Maybe 20 - 30 feet wide (L - R) about the same F-B and at least 20 feet deep. Ironically there is another hole dug further down (maybe 50 - 100 feet away) from this spot about the same size/shape.

I am betting it is for drainage ditches but it sure seems to be awfully big and square for this purpose. No idea really.

4 - The supposed "splash down" area is nothing more than a runoff/drainage site. It is now lined with green mesh, is sloped all around and has a large run off/storm drain attached to it. This is not for a splash down ... I am 100% positive of this.

I did not ride RY so I was unable to see what was going on back there but there is some activity.

Rumor Mill/Hearsay:

Ok the following are comments from park employees (no one in a tie, or position of authority - nor the dippin' dots guy) so take them for what they are worth.

1 - I don't know details but it is going to be massive and will be largest coaster on the east coast (I think she really meant the Mid Atlantic area)

2 - Management said an announcement will be made on August 20th and that signs will be posted by that time.

3 - The track in the parking lot is only about 1/3 of the total track for the project.

4 - There are some support/extra (her words) pieces currently housed elsewhere on park property (ee did not know where when I asked, just somewhere in the back)

5 - Management won't tell us anything but they all seem very happy that KD is getting this ride and it will really bring in the crowds next season.

That's about all I have fellas. Not much of an update but its the best I could do.