TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

from coastercrews twitter....

Looks like its going to go from the breaks. Make a hard left in to station (or dual station) and from the way they have it marked it...

Looks like it will go over the Reble Yell turn around. I guess the lift could be going over it and that's why there is so little support?!?

My husband works for KD. I am sorry to disappoint everyone, but the coaster being built is not going to me a true Giga Coaster. Some of you may have seen a photo of a shipping document attached to some parts in the parking lot. I can confirm the Coaster is manufactured by Intamin. The Coaster's track was designed by the "Giga" division to save money and fit it into the foot print available at the park. The coaster will have some very unique properties never seen before. It will be similar to coasters at other parks including KI, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland. Some other things I can confirm:

The coaster will be between 230 feet and 240 feet high with the first drop of approximately 235 feet. Top speed 90 mph. Angle of Descent almost 90 degrees. If all goes well, the coaster's Opening day will be Saturday May 22, 2010. So mark you rcalendars.

Stay tuned. KD will issue a former news release in the coming weeks.

Also, there may be a contest to name the new coaster. Marketing is working on how that will be rolled out and all the details. The person or group who wins the naming contest will get the first ride when the coaster officially opens in May of 2010.

Please don't ask for any additional information. This is all my DH authorized me to release.

All the best,

Mindy

My husband works for KD. I am sorry to disappoint everyone, but the coaster being built is not going to me a true Giga Coaster. Some of you may have seen a photo of a shipping document attached to some parts in the parking lot. I can confirm the Coaster is manufactured by Intamin. The Coaster's track was designed by the "Giga" division to save money and fit it into the foot print available at the park. The coaster will have some very unique properties never seen before. It will be similar to coasters at other parks including KI, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland. Some other things I can confirm:

The coaster will be between 230 feet and 240 feet high with the first drop of approximately 235 feet. Top speed 90 mph. Angle of Descent almost 90 degrees. If all goes well, the coaster's Opening day will be Saturday May 22, 2010. So mark you rcalendars.

Stay tuned. KD will issue a former news release in the coming weeks.

Also, there may be a contest to name the new coaster. Marketing is working on how that will be rolled out and all the details. The person or group who wins the naming contest will get the first ride when the coaster officially opens in May of 2010.

Please don't ask for any additional information. This is all my DH authorized me to release.

All the best,

Mindy

Giga Division???

Mmmmm, not sure about that one, I would have thought that there is a general design section of Intamin that design all of their coasters, considering that this is rumoured to be only the second "giga" coaster, how would they have a "giga" division?

If this is all true then it is pretty good news, especially about the naming competition, but at the moment I am unsure.

I thought Millenium Force hit 93mph, so how is a coaster about 100 feet shorter, going to hit 90mph?? even Griffon, at 205ft ni on vertical drop only hits 71mph, I am not convinced at the moment, sorry.

Interesting post Mindy, too bad it has too many holes - giga division? 240 feet tall going 90 MPH (IMPOSSIBLE assuming you're only using gravity) - $30 million price tag vs Marvericks $21m and only 100 feet taller and no LSMs (unlikely). Big beefy track like F1, yet not a giga?

The Intamin website list giga and Mega lite - the coaster you are describing would fall into the mega lite category !

Thanks for playing - interesting first post (no doubt)

I'm gonna say one thing, mindy could be wrong, but she could be right. Don't discount her just because you want a giga coaster, and she is saying the opposite, because you could be right she might not have her facts right but you could also be wrong and what she is saying could be completly true and you do get a 240ft tall coaster not the giga you were hoping for.

What I am saying is don't discount someone because they are saying something you don't want to be true.

I'm still on the fence about whether the M&M post is true, I can't believe it since nothing is confirmed yet, but it still sounds somewhat legit. Even if we don't see a giga coaster, a 240 foot tall Intamin mega with a drop that nears 90 DEGREES!!! sounds good enough

Ha! I have said I didn't believe the giga labels... BUT I don't believe anything said in that post.

Once again. Wait until August people.

Definitely the wisest policy. Time will tell, folks.

I just don't see KD paying the extra money for the big track when the current track size works great for a 240 foot coaster. Now if it were like Maverick and it had a lift at the beginning and a launch mid ride which took it to the 90 mph mark, then it could be possible. However I don't see that happening.