TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The one thing I hope about the new giga coaster is that it has plenty of airtime. I didn't like the fact that millennium force only had 2 air time hills. But I don't want a lot like B&M Hypers or Steel Dragon 2000. Maybe a equal balance like Expedition GeForce.

Someone on KDfansite posted a recreation of the 2010 coaster in no limits based on a sketch that was taken from the planning board documents & it's one sweet ride but I'm still hoping for more hills & less curves on this ride but we'll all find out come august when the park announces the ride.

The one thing I hope about the new giga coaster is that it has plenty of airtime. I didn't like the fact that millennium force only had 2 air time hills. But I don't want a lot like B&M Hypers or Steel Dragon 2000. Maybe a equal balance like Expedition GeForce.

Someone on KDfansite posted a recreation of the 2010 coaster in no limits based on a sketch that was taken from the planning board documents & it's one sweet ride but I'm still hoping for more hills & less curves on this ride but we'll all find out come august when the park announces the ride.

Query: How can someone post a "re-creation" of something that has yet to be "created"?

This is the link the guy in kdfansite's forums gave for his rendition of the coaster:

http://www.theoverprivileged.com/coasters/KD-Giga-Coaster2.nltrack

Someone in those forums made a rough sketch of what he thought the layout was, based on seeing some document at the Hanover County Courthouse. The No Limits is based on that sketch.

The ride does seem to lack airtime, but at least it looks better that millennium force. However, it just looks like a "space-waster." They could have designed a better ride using less space. But I think the ride is going to look different that what the simulation makes it to be. However, you have to admire the craftsmanship for a ride that is yet to be built.

The ride does seem to lack airtime, but at least it looks better that millennium force. However, it just looks like a "space-waster." They could have designed a better ride using less space. But I think the ride is going to look different that what the simulation makes it to be. However, you have to admire the craftsmanship for a ride that is yet to be built.

Now that I think about it. It may not be a "Space waster" as it is built in between Anaconda and Rebel Yell. So the large spaces that the roller coaster doesn't go through maybe just those coasters tracks.

The no-limits recreation was only done to see if a giga could fit in the space cleared so far. The creator made no claims about the lay-out other than he used about 6,000 feet of track. The good news is that MFs lift appears to be able to fit into the cleared land.

I was at the park last night for the kdfansite big bang event and the park was packed. As I left the park I stopped at the track site for a bit and there is a lot of track on site right now. Didn't take any photos, I was exhausted as I had been working all night and did KD all day!

The no-limits recreation was only done to see if a giga could fit in the space cleared so far. The creator made no claims about the lay-out other than he used about 6,000 feet of track. The good news is that MFs lift appears to be able to fit into the cleared land.

I **NEVER** thought that they would fit Diamondback's lift hill and first drop in Rivertown...it looked like there was an error! You'd be surprised what engineers can do. They're know what's going on!

But a 230ft 42* lift hill and a 215ft 74* drop made it all work.

-Zach

Hey has anyone considered that this might end up being a launched coaster? Becasue knowing kings dominions past, they have really liked their launched coasters. They have Volcano, Flight of Fear, Italian Job, and they had Hypersonic. Plus the cable lift and hydraulic launch tracks look the same, so there is a possibility of it being a launched giga! Just a suggestion i was thinking about.

Hey has anyone considered that this might end up being a launched coaster? Becasue knowing kings dominions past, they have really liked their launched coasters. They have Volcano, Flight of Fear, Italian Job, and they had Hypersonic. Plus the cable lift and hydraulic launch tracks look the same, so there is a possibility of it being a launched giga! Just a suggestion i was thinking about.

That's true but the lift/launch section doesn't have any slits that would house the anti rollback. This makes more likely to be a lift. And also the lift/launch track resembles more Millennium Force than a launch coaster.

In all 100+ pages of this thread this is the first time its been mentioned.

hey guys, i'm the one who made the "recreation" of the KD giga in No Limits.

My primary goal was to see if a Giga would actually fit in the space provided. it does. i looked at google earth images of the area and made sure i had the scale and shape correct and then i basically just plopped down MF's station, lift hill, first drop, and a modified version of it's first turn, and they fit fine.

My secondary goal was this: to see if the drawing another poster made of the layout (based on plans he says he saw) was a viable layout for the ride. it definitely is. its length is in the right ballpark and it is not dissimiliar to the only other Intamin Giga. but as you guys noticed, it's LOTS of turns with little room for airtime. (blame the guy that did the drawing (or potentially Intamin's designers), not me )

third, i should apologize to No Limits experts. my goal wasn't to spend a month tweaking a ride to be perfect or glass-smooth ... hell in a month, we might know the REAL layout, and have an official on-ride PoV. i just wanted to whip this up relatively fast and put this out there to make the points above, and also to have some fun speculating. stir the pot.

here are some images for people without no limits. (people with limits?? )

here is bejackso's original sketch, and next to that is a top-down view of my "recreation" in the no limits editor:

here is a side view from the editor:

here are some images from onboard the ride.

here is a link to the track.

http://www.theoverprivileged.com/coasters/KD-Giga-Coaster2.nltrack