TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

TTD is themed, not heavily though.It has facts about dragsters in the queue, the lights at the launch, the dragster themed cars, and the stadiums, the real dragster in the midway, the sounds before your launch of the roaring engines, this is the typical CF theming IMO.

Why would anyone expect to see theming at an amusement park? Cedar Point is and has never billed itself as theme park. It is an amusement park. It just so happened to have some rides with theme elements.

IMHO criticising CP for it's theming is like criticising McDonalds for not selling KFC.

The themeing on Dragster is fantastic, I think. You don't have to have some sort of story and pre-shows and lasers and immersive queues to really add to a ride. When it comes to atmosphere and add little touches here and there CP really got that one 100% right. Cedar Point actually has a number of really fantastic, subtle visual and audio touches on many of their rides, but I don't think they get enough credit for them because they're not in your face and over the top like in the full, dedicated theme parks.

Compare Dragster to Kingda Ka which has a much more specific atmosphere built around it, yet there's no good place to watch the trains launch and the tower might as well not even been in the park. I think the whole area and theming effort surrounding the ride is quite good, but the installation for me really misses the mark of why you would ever even build a ride like that.

For this one at KD I really doubt onboard audio would even be considered, but then again, I wouldn't have even thought a ride of this size would have been considered. Seeing how out of the blue this whole thing is, I'd say all bets are off until we get more details.

^^^^Actually I read somewhere, that the definition of "THEME PARK" is an Amusement Park with Themed Areas. Sooo...therefore, CP is a THEME Park (i.e. Frontier Trail)...

Like it matters anyway. CP can do theming if they want, as can KD. But for this ride to have much theming. I highly doubt it. But tbh, who cares. Lets just wait it out yeah???

Robby

I see this coaster as being somewhat simplified with a nice entrance, perhaps some temporary theming in the queue and then a decent coaster. To be honest, I would be perfectly happy with that...I'm a simple man. Who knows, maybe they might surprise you and put in an underwater tunnel that loops around Anaconda's underwater tunnel!

Of course having to throw my two cents in about theming...I only see the Busch and Disney parks (in the US) having decent and consistent theming on big-tag rides.

How long do you think Bizarro will utilize the mist, fire and sound effects at SF? I thought that the on-ride audio on Bizarro at SFGA was horribly garbled and wondered where that would be in another year or two.

I will say that X2 impressed me with the lift hill audio musical score, but after the lifts, I think they should just let the people's screams and the coaster make the noise and turn off the sound systems.

It seems like once a coaster loses it's sexy new appeal and the lines aren't as long, most of the theming is taken down or turned off anyway, so why worry? Hell...most parks can't even keep the freakin' waterfalls on the rapids rides working after five years...let alone a flame-thrower, meat grinder, or an on-ride boom box!

^^^^Actually I read somewhere, that the definition of "THEME PARK" is an Amusement Park with Themed Areas. Sooo...therefore, CP is a THEME Park (i.e. Frontier Trail)...

Like it matters anyway. CP can do theming if they want, as can KD. But for this ride to have much theming. I highly doubt it. But tbh, who cares. Lets just wait it out yeah???

Robby

I had always thought a theme park was a place where all the rides are themed, so the CF and SF parks sort of miss this definition...Whereas places like Disney, Universal, Busch, WBMW, etc fit this.

^^^^^Its a really dumb discussion about whether or not CP or CF are THEME PARKS. It really doesn't matter. Dreamworld (my home park) say they are a theme park, but there theming is basically the same as a SF or CP theming. There's no real difference. Basically. Parks will call themselves whatever they want to draw in crowds and im sure heaps of the GP say that SF or CP parks are THEME parks.

But lets drop this subject. NOW because this discussion is about KD and there new ride. NOT the definition of a THEME park.

Back on topic, This ride looks to be a really good ride to get excited for. But i'm not going to judge until it's built.

Robby

For those of you who haven't been to CP I just thought that I might add that a Giga is massive. It doesn't look that menacing in pictures but It's just insane in real life. It's going to be a bigger draw then you think. It will also be the second coaster I am aware of that you can see from I-95. (the first being a wild mouse at south of the boarder in South Carolina) It will bring in a ton of people that way too. I think they're going for that type of advertising as well as just having bragging rights.

For those of you who haven't been to CP I just thought that I might add that a Giga is massive. It doesn't look that menacing in pictures but It's just insane in real life. It's going to be a bigger draw then you think. It will also be the second coaster I am aware of that you can see from I-95. (the first being a wild mouse at south of the boarder in South Carolina) It will bring in a ton of people that way too. I think they're going for that type of advertising as well as just having bragging rights.

If you look hard enough you can see Dominator from I-95.

I can definently see this being a good chance for Kings dominion to reel in more people. I remember going there this spring and constantly feeling like they were missing something. I think if they were smart, they would build this in the area near where hypersonic used to be . And they could stretch out the track down near the highway so when you are passing by, you get to see the giant bohemoth looming above. That surely will attract much more spontanious visitors! But i can't wait for this ride to go up! Its just what Kings Dominion needs! Then they will get some true "Ride Warriors"! Now we wait for the ride, and all of the simulator layout impressions of what the ride will be like. I carn't wait!!!

I might just make a NL version of what I think the ride will be like. It's summer so I have time, and it could be some fun.

Good idea but save that creativeness for when we get the actual stats & layout of the ride....if you make it I'll definitely download it.

I ambled over to KD and took a few pictures today (Rebel Yell was running quite well, by the way).

I'm a regular Dr. Seuss.

174709349_Track2.jpg.faf4a4d18e458e0f32c3642ff3d48e9d.jpg

One more shot through the chain link, which I assume is there to keep any crazed enthusiasts from defiling the sacred track. That's all.

1291044540_Track1.jpg.94c8c0667358666828a5c2ae24019dd7.jpg

Tracky track track track track track!

1775744303_Tower3.jpg.2d203ea1d73ec6ec11fa35371a8788a2.jpg

Tracky track track track track!

Wheel.jpg.891ab45c06f8636be0320548b67a4601.jpg

Here's a shot from the Americana Ferris wheel.

682428184_Tower2.jpg.0cd01cf62e6ef90eee8d5678a06c4aaf.jpg

This cleared area runs behind Anaconda and seems to extend beyond Rebel Yell. Not sure what it means, but there you have it.

1623653361_Tower1.jpg.07e51c059067f160e412582ad6c0f3d1.jpg

From the Eiffel Tower--for all your dirt, crane, and pipe fans.

Cranes.jpg.75bbd5c0d7c40362c609915ebce66937.jpg

Hmm--there's a small flock of cranes behind Flight of Fear and Anaconda.