TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I am assuming that you are talking about this picture:

The part that I think you are confused on is that the track is on the top right hand side of the big red support. On the left side, the stair area is in place. Both sit on this big piece of a support. I hope that makes sense and that clears your concerns up.

^yes that is the picture that the question arises from. What you are saying is that that entire thing is in fact supports and then that tiny (it looks tiny) thing in the top right with the tiny rails is in fact the actual track?

Why does the support need to be that big, MF's doesnt look that big in the pictures posted two page back.

Why does the support need to be that big, MF's doesnt look that big in the pictures posted two page back.

As someone already said a few posts ago, it's probably to reduce the amount of support poles/columns used. It's a truss, like the one used on Desperado and various other coasters.

Desperado

It really does look odd right now, but that's only one piece, from one angle. I'm sure once the ride starts going vertical it'll all look better and make sense. But it definitely looks like extra truss supportage (is that a word?!) to reduce the vertical supports they'll need to use.

^^Sorry for not picking up on that, I got all confused with all the jokes being slapped in this thread. In the case of desperado (a credit I missed cause of high winds dangit), the span between supports is needed because there is a huge building beneath it but I can't think of anything that large laying beneath this coaster albeit the layout isn't even known. But look at all the other coasters looping through other stuff...coughtatsu...coughsilverbullet... and they still manage to get by with normal looking supports and track.

I don't see it at this point being a reason to eliminate supports to avoid obstacles beneath them but perhaps simply to eliminate supports for costs.

^^So be it, I am not debating if it is elevator or not because I am certain it is elevator. My question still stands though at where do the road, side friction and up stop wheels touch the track of the connecting bars are welded on all sides? Does anyone understand what I mean.

My feeling is that the train will not make actual contact with those pieces. I am still holding on to my thought that those big track pieces are to be part of a vertical tower structure that will have the responsibility of lifting a horizontal section of track, with the train on it, that will be lifted up to the apex of the ride and released to go down the first drop.

Those two small parallel rails on either side of the cable box are to be used to keep the lift section of track centered and not swaying side to side | front to back as it is lifted. The moving section of track will have a running guide wheel and probably two side friction guide wheels as well.

Most cable elevators have a similiar set up so the elevator car does not swing back and forth while traveling. You can see that on the Eiffel Tower elevators and on the Drop Tower also (two rails on opposite sides of the drop tower that run from the top all the way to ground level.

I think that Intamin has a little experience in lifting big, heavy objects nearly 300 feet into the air.

Clint from KDFansite is there and they are unloading more track today.

At the moment there are 17 double spine, 3 lift hill pieces on site

EDIT -- Recount 13 small pieces, 14 double spine, 3 medium pieces, 3 lift hill pieces.

EDIT -- At the top of the E tower and there are cement trucks pouring on site. Footers???

from Coastercrew twitter page

That looks like a station piece to me, where the calbe connects to the train. The site support could be for the station floor itself.

A station piece doesn't need a catwalk on the side. Besides, this is the 5th section of the lift. If this was a station piece, youd see evidence of a tire drive or magnetic brake fins. Usually a coaster isn't built attached to the station, it is usually built around it.

The coaster is most likely a hyper or giga coaster. The pieces seem to be either the lift or launch mechanisms. However, if it were to be a launch coaster, there would be visible slits that would house the rollback breaks. The track in the picture doesn't have any slits for the rollback device, making it a lift hill. And the the rotated L pieces that is beside the track has a similar counterpart that are used on "Millennium Force's" lift hill track to hold the parallel stairs.

lift.jpg.a8d224525ce86efab6d89830c27066bd.jpg

The lift hill on the right and the parallel stairs on the left

I pulled up Google Maps last night and looked at KD. Even though the image is from late '05, early '06, you still know where the construction area is. It's a small area. I honestly think this coaster could be an accelerator coaster (i.e Rita - Queen of Speed).

More twitter updates

-- Both cement trucks just left after there pour. Crew still sitting buy the track with the crain. Lots of work down at the site.

33 minutes ago from Tweed

--Just sitting on top of the E tower waiting for more trucks to unload. Another cement truck just pulled in

25 minutes ago from Tweed

-- Alright just got video of another truck arriving!! Its pulling in now

15 minutes ago from Tweed

-- They are now opening the truck! Place your bets.. What will these pieces be?

4 minutes ago from Tweed

I pulled up Google Maps last night and looked at KD. Even though the image is from late '05, early '06, you still know where the construction area is. It's a small area. I honestly think this coaster could be an accelerator coaster (i.e Rita - Queen of Speed).

Even though there are marker extending to Rebel Yell's turnaround/the wave pool and all signs say that this coaster has a lift?

That is obviously a piece of the lieft, I can;t believe how much debate is going into this..

If you mean a scad tower lift then i agree, because they are obviously building a scad tower. Scad Tower!